Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Lockheed

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    I always thought T2 seemed close to capacity, especially in the mornings, you can see some EI aircraft over at T1 and I've often heard stories of people checking in at T2 but flying out of T1,

Stobart Air check in at T2 but then get a bus to a stand at T1 afaik, it happened to me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I always thought T2 seemed close to capacity, especially in the mornings, you can see some EI aircraft over at T1 and I've often heard stories of people checking in at T2 but flying out of T1,

In the mornings there are about half a dozen Aer Lingus flights departing from the 3XX gates (and a similar amount of arrivals at night), because there is simply not the space to fit the entire Dublin based Aer Lingus short haul fleet and the long haul arrivals that come in prior to 07:30.

However, once the first wave of EI short haul flights depart, and the main transatlantic departure period is over, T2 has plenty of spare capacity and that's not going to change for a while yet. Bear in mind that after that first wave, short haul flights depart at far more staggered timings throughout the day.

Just because it's busy at one particular time of the day doesn't mean it is close to capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

lxflyer wrote: »

Just because it's busy at one particular time of the day doesn't mean it is close to capacity.

Well, no. It is at capacity when airlines want to use it, which is what matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

donvito99 wrote: »
    Well, no. It is at capacity when airlines want to use it, which is what matters.

Well to be fair about it - first thing in the morning at every airport that has an airline based there is going to be busy.

It was always the case that there would be some spill over to the 3XX gates first thing in the morning. That was planned. It is the only time that Aer Lingus have their entire short haul fleet on the ground in Dublin.

The fact remains that there is still plenty of scope for extra flights from T2 right throughout the rest of the day, and to suggest that airlines don't want to fly at those times I think is being a bit disingenuous. Aer Lingus short haul flights are just far more staggered through the day, and the US flights taper off after US CBP closes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Shannon Control

The morning rush at Dublin is quite a wreck! After that the airport isn't hugely exciting, 1200 lunch rush is quite busy when the short-hauls that departed 730 come back. If you've flown out of T2 after 1200 you'll notice that it is very barren. There's plenty of room for expansion there without any construction for a while, but ATC are quite restrained in Dublin with only a few taxiways (~4: F, B, H and M) For an airport with such a huge amount of traffic for single runway ops it's quite amazing what they do. It's great that we can say this stuff, imagine if we were still on a downturn and going into the mid teens...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Dublin airport have announced traffic up 16% in October, with 2.3m pax. Brings the total to October to almost 21.5m.

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/15-11-06/Busiest_October_On_Record_At_Dublin_Airport.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Definatly will make it past at least 24m

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Definatly will make it past at least 24m

At least 24.9 million, could pass 25 million with an additional 400,00 over next 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As its a rolling 12, growth going to 0 in 2016 would still probably push it due to two Easters in 12 by April. Itll probably hit in January if it doesn't in December anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Shannon Control

L1011 wrote: »
    As its a rolling 12, growth going to 0 in 2016 would still probably push it due to two Easters in 12 by April. Itll probably hit in January if it doesn't in December anyway

This should get the pressure back on the DAA once the media heads hear that more 'aeroplanes are on the runway'. It'll be very exciting with two runways, and I think the economy is going to grow more than projected, brining aviation along with it, so hopefully the DAA will get the finger out and start to pretend to do some stuff, before Dublin becomes the new Gatwick...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

This should get the pressure back on the DAA once the media heads hear that more 'aeroplanes are on the runway'......................... so hopefully the DAA will get the finger out and start to pretend to do some stuff, before Dublin becomes the new Gatwick...

Well in fairness to the daa, there is a planning proposal for a 2nd runway submitted and approved. The issue is when will the approval limit (25m pax p.a.) be achieved?, do they want to stick with this proposal or go for a longer 2nd runway?, and will they have to start the planning process all over again for this longer runway?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Wont be approved once 25 million is reached which could be this year.

Restrictions on current planning are to much and I expect a new application is certain at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Planning.......When the Minister is using code words such as "there will be a need" then you know that the deal is already done. Sure the civil servants will tick the boxes to ensure any loopholes are closed off but barring the discovery of some ancient burial site or preserved species of rare snail then its a done deal.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/dublin-airport-assesses-new-plan-to-build-second-runway-31500522.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What category of ILS does RWY 16 and 34 have?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Carnacalla wrote: »
    What category of ILS does RWY 16 and 34 have?

34 has simple runway lights, 16 has CAT 1 afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

This may help with the question. It took some Googling.

http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/aip_eidw_charts.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

How close is the new apron to being Finnished? Over by old 11/29

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

There is no ILS/precision approach onto R34, only cat 1 on R16. No centreline lights either and 60m width makes it one big black hole I can assure you on a dark windy morning coming in having been up all night. Certainly focuses the mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Razor44 wrote: »

Not sure - seems to be on phase 2-5 at the moment according to this - http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Published%20Files/SUPP%20Files/2015/EI_SUP_2015_16_EN.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

Not sure - seems to be on phase 2-5 at the moment according to this - http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Published%20Files/SUPP%20Files/2015/EI_SUP_2015_16_EN.pdf

Thanks for the link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Razor44 wrote: »

Assuming they're on time it should be ready for April I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

https://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/15-12-04/Dublin_Airport_Breaks_Annual_Passenger_Numbers_Record.aspx

Latest News

Dublin Airport Breaks Annual Passenger Numbers RecordDecember 04 2015

Dublin Airport has today broken its previous record for the number of passengers processed in a single year, with the rest of its December traffic still to come. More than 23.5 million passengers have now passed through Dublin Airport this year, beating the airport’s previous record for passenger traffic which was set in 2008. “Dublin Airport is having a record year for passenger numbers due to strong growth across all major sectors of the market,” said Dublin Airport Managing Director Vincent Harrison. “Passenger numbers are up 16% so far this year, with record numbers of people travelling to and from Dublin on European, UK, transatlantic and other international routes,” Mr Harrison added. “We have already welcomed more than 3.1 million extra passengers this year and we still have most of December to come.” Dublin Airport’s previous record was set in 2008 during the economic boom, when the airport had 23.46 million passengers. The growth in passenger numbers this year is due to a combination of 23 new routes, and significant additional capacity on many existing airline services. “We’ve had strong growth from our existing airline customers, and six new airlines also established new routes at Dublin during the year,” according to Mr Harrison. Five new long-haul services were launched at Dublin Airport this year and 18 new short-haul routes also commenced operations. The new routes that have opened include Aer Lingus services to Washington, Liverpool and Nantes, Ryanair services to Amsterdam, Copenhagen and Lublin, Ethiopian Airlines services to Los Angeles and Addis Ababa, and new flights to Reykjavik, Barcelona and Paris Orly with WOW Air, Vueling and Transavia respectively. “The new routes and extra capacity contributed to a very strong summer period, as more than 5.3 million passengers used Dublin Airport during July and August, which is our busiest time of the year,” Mr Harrison said. The strong traffic performance has also continued into the winter season. “This winter, our airline customers will have about 1.5 million extra seats to and from Dublin Airport, which is a 13% increase in the total number of seats available. There are three new services for the winter this year and 13 routes that started in the summer have continued into the winter season for the first time.” A total of 11 new scheduled services have already been announced for next year at Dublin Airport. There are four new scheduled transatlantic services, as Aer Lingus has new routes to Los Angeles, Newark and Hartford, Connecticut, and Air Canada rouge will have a new route to Vancouver. In the short-haul sector, Aer Lingus will have new services to Montpellier, Murcia and Pisa, Ryanair will operate new routes to Athens and the Spanish city of Vigo, Blue Air will have a new service to Cluj in Romania and Aegean Airlines will operate a new route to Athens. Dublin Airport will also have new long-haul charter services next year, as Falcon Holidays and Thomson will operate direct flights to Cancun in Mexico, and Montego Bay in Jamaica next summer. Dublin Airport, which is Ireland’s key international gateway, is celebrating its 75 birthday this year. The airport has direct flights to about 170 scheduled and charter destinations.

So it is safe to say the 25,000,000 mark will be broken...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

1.6 million passengers in December 2014, so undoubtedly we'll see the 25m mark broken this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Erm, did we not like break the 25m mark for second runway commencement? 11 months this year accounts for 23.5 million and then the 1.6m from last December? Someone mentioned that it was a rolling calender of 12months for the trigger to be hit and I believe we have done so, not from the start of the year to the end (Jan-Dec)

Correct me if I'm wrong guys :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Erm, did we not like break the 25m mark for second runway commencement? 11 months this year accounts for 23.5 million and then the 1.6m from last December? Someone mentioned that it was a rolling calender of 12months for the trigger to be hit and I believe we have done so, not from the start of the year to the end (Jan-Dec)

Correct me if I'm wrong guys :o

You're right! If it's a rolling 12 months thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

MJohnston wrote: »
    You're right! If it's a rolling 12 months thing.

Either way it's on next month, wonder will it actually kick it all off?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Either way it's on next month, wonder will it actually kick it all off?

It needs a new planning application - which I doubt was ever really held up by the threshold - due to wanting to move it further north to allow independent operations. I was expecting that planning app early next year even if the 25m wasn't breached.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Isn't this 25m 'trigger' that people keep mentioning, just a notional figure where it would be sensible to start serious planning for a new development. There's no obligation on anybody to do anything. It's just a figure that the DAA recommended, somewhat as a signal to the regulator and the Minister for Transport? So like most things in this country that involve spending money it'll be long-fingered and dithered about until the airport reaches chronic overcapacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It was arbitrarily increased to 25million IIRC, wouldn't be surprised if it became 30 million as it has increased so fast as to catch everyone off guard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

It was arbitrarily increased to 25million IIRC, wouldn't be surprised if it became 30 million as it has increased so fast as to catch everyone off guard.

It's an arbitrary figure anyway....I predict the next discussion will be that it should be based on aircraft movements not passenger numbers as there is sufficient terminal capacity for 25+ million.

Advertisement