Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Newbie1000 wrote: »
    Suspect the delay in announcing plans is to wait until the general election is out of the way so Fine Gael don't lose any north Dublin TD's as it will be a issue for the nimby crowd

Couldn't be more wrong, expect the daa are doing a lot of homework here and most importantly putting the case/application together behind the scenes to ensure that they get the planning they want and not have a process which is not drawn out and deals with the posh Portmarnock folk. Really important to discredit any case they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Couldn't be more wrong, expect the daa are doing a lot of homework here and most importantly putting the case/application together behind the scenes to ensure that they get the planning they want and not have a process which is not drawn out and deals with the posh Portmarnock folk. Really important to discredit any case they have.

Why wasn't this work done over last few years so when the condition was met it was taken off the shelf and submitted?

Perhaps the huge growth of 2015 surprised them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

They did have planning permission AFAIK, but they want to either move the runway a bit (leave room for T3 in the future?), make it longer, or decide whether to keep 16/34 or discard it. In reality I think they're doing all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Why wasn't this work done over last few years so when the condition was met it was taken off the shelf and submitted?

Perhaps the huge growth of 2015 surprised them?

I seriously do not think that nothing has been done - I'd imagine an awful lot of work is going on in the background - any project like this will have huge amount of requirements, when they're ready to go with the revised proposals we will hear about it, but expecting an instant announcement once the traffic figures are published is probably being a tad over zealous.

He's not as it happens, it's the reason the Government are not shouting about it. They don't want to lose any votes/seats from NIMBYs and attract any adverse attention and publicity from Eco warriors. You won't hear anything from them till
    post GE.

Yes you are right Jamie2k9 the DAA are getting their design correct and also need to update data to include the noise profiles of MAX/NEO, 350's/787's/A380's etc.

Here's hoping it's not a long drawn out process, it's badly needed, it'll bring 1000's of jobs and money. It's not like we will lose villages or forests, the rivers will be protected even more than they are currently. Most properties affected have been bought up over the last 20-30 years.

• Advertisement

He's not as it happens, it's the reason the Government are not shouting about it. They don't want to lose any votes/seats from NIMBYs and attract any adverse attention and publicity from Eco warriors. You won't hear anything from them till
    post GE.

Yes you are right Jamie2k9 the DAA are getting their design correct and also need to update data to include the noise profiles of MAX/NEO, 350's/787's/A380's etc.

Here's hoping it's not a long drawn out process, it's badly needed, it'll bring 1000's of jobs and money. It's not like we will lose villages or forests, the rivers will be protected even more than they are currently. Most properties affected have been bought up over the last 20-30 years.

Minister for Transport was shouting about it on the airways today and how he is helping the daa with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Erm, did we not like break the 25m mark for second runway commencement? 11 months this year accounts for 23.5 million and then the 1.6m from last December? Someone mentioned that it was a rolling calender of 12months for the trigger to be hit and I believe we have done so, not from the start of the year to the end (Jan-Dec)

Correct me if I'm wrong guys :o

The 23.5 million includes the first few days of December. 1st Dec 2014 to 30th Nov 2015 was 24.85 million.

I'd imagine it's been broken by now though if traffic is up 18% in December so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

If they hit 25m this year, Dublin will be a category 1 airport

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭is this username available

• Advertisement

Personally I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Personally I can't see it happening.

This could be very well suited to the likes of CFN, KIR, NOC & WAT.

Further down the road, I could well see a similar system been introduced to service both SNN & ORK.

However there would be "hell to pay" with the ATC Union.

Personally, I could envisage this type of system been introduced at a catagory 1 airport within the next 20 years.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    This could be very well suited to the likes of CFN, KIR, NOC & WAT.

Further down the road, I could well see a similar system been introduced to service both SNN & ORK.

However there would be "hell to pay" with the ATC Union.

Personally, I could envisage this type of system been introduced at a catagory 1 airport within the next 20 years.

Yeah smaller airports it's useful. The IAA tendered for remote systems at SNN/ORK for night ops not so long ago. Not sure of the current status though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what do the numbers need to hit before a T3 would go ahead?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what do the numbers need to hit before a T3 would go ahead?

At a minimum 50 million. There is no set target but current terminals can be expanded and will be before T3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Has it ever been mooted to add additional checkin and security facilities much closer to the "Ryanair pier" and create a kind of ersatz Terminal 1.5? I don't even know if this would be a useful addition but it feels that way.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Has it ever been mooted to add additional checkin and security facilities much closer to the "Ryanair pier" and create a kind of ersatz Terminal 1.5? I don't even know if this would be a useful addition but it feels that way.

Not possible and it would never happen. The walk isn't that long and similor at various airports in Europe with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Ryanair doesn't check in much luggage in comparison to other airlines. The majority of the passengers would check in online and if have a bag to check in, it can be dropped off.

Check in desks is something that we might not see in massive numbers in future.

As for walking distance, it's pretty much the norm. Sure there's escalators covering the walkway between T1 and the pier and iirc, there's one or two in the pier itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

My own pet theory on how the lay-out of a modern airport is achieve, is driven by the following mantra "shopping first, boarding last".

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    My own pet theory on how the lay-out of a modern airport is achieve, is driven by the following mantra "shopping first, boarding last".

It is, but as airlines press for lower and lower passenger charges the airport have to make their money somewhere. So the down side of the €9.99 flights is having to pass through a shopping center to take your flight.

• Advertisement

Plenty of work still to be done on T1+T2 to expand capacity, T2 its pier F. T1 the plan is to extend and remodel Pier 2 to look similar to pier 4(T2) and do the same with pier 3. In between pier 2 and 3 room will be made by straightening the stands out so that parallel taxiways can be put in for narrow body aircraft.

The capacity as said already exists within the terminals the problem is airside with stands. T3 is a long way off 10+ years unless current year on year increased continue. DAA are suggesting 18% pax increase for 2016 so up to 30 millionish. Even a 5% per annum increase is 1.5 million passengers. Now IAG plan hasn't kicked in yet that'll probably happen from 2017 onwards, who knows what passenger growth we could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

There's always discussion about how rwy 10/28 is in real bad condition, but what condition is 16/34 in?

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    There's always discussion about how rwy 10/28 is in real bad condition, but what condition is 16/34 in?

Good condition, well maintained and able to continue for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

16/34 is in alot better condition than 28/10 as it was resurfaced only a few years ago.

10/28 will get all the work it needs in 2016/2017, the 2010 work was more less just extending that long finger.

10/28 will get all the work it needs in 2016/2017, the 2010 work was more less just extending that long finger.

Wishful thinking.

andy_g wrote: »
    Wishful thinking.

It's getting a thick overlay and LED lights.

needs to be relayed foundations are starting to give way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

A sinkhole is going to open up on 10/28 someday its in that bad a way

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

This is predicted to be the future of all ATC towers, in 30 years all Irish airports will probably be controlled from one main centre

Advertisement