Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

For a fit person, yes, it's not an issue, but for a family, 2 adults, with 3 young children, 2 buggies and 5 pieces of carry on hand luggage, 1 Km can seem insurmountable, simply due to the logistics of getting everything going in the right direction at the same time.

I don't accept that, having previously been in that experience. Spanish airports like Majorca and Malaga have "long" walks also, and with a large family like that, the walk is often the least of your concerns.

Is there any way to shorten the walk? It doesn't seem like it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I don't accept that, having previously been in that experience. Spanish airports like Majorca and Malaga have "long" walks also, and with a large family like that, the walk is often the least of your concerns.

Is there any way to shorten the walk? It doesn't seem like it to me.

Don't fly with Ryanair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,182 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

My airlines latest experiment will have passengers walking 56 steps to board the aircraft from their cars and 103 to deplane.... but at a 1000 Euros for the equivalent of DUB-CDG-DUB.....
    Not sure if it would be viable in Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The walk to Pier D would be made all the more easier and quicker if people would stand the f... out of the way on the rolling walkways! It bugs the hell out of me why people stand still on these and block the way for others! Now THAT is the height of laziness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

smurfjed wrote: »
    My airlines latest experiment will have passengers walking 56 steps to board the aircraft from their cars and 103 to deplane.... but at 1000 Euros for the equivalent of DUB-CDG-DUB.....
    Not sure if it would be viable in Dublin :)

In DUB for about €130 + VAT you can have platinum services collect you from the plane in a BMW and drive you to immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Avada wrote: »
    In DUB for about €130 + VAT you can have platinum services collect you from the plane in a BMW and drive you to immigration.

Why is there vat on a transport service?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Because it's a hospitality service and not a transport service?

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/Dublin-Airport-Travel-Services/Platinum-Services.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

What lxflyer said, it's not just a transport service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

IRLConor wrote: »
    From the kerb at T1 to the end of D is ~950m by my measurement. From the kerb at T2 to the last of the 4xx gates is ~650m by the same method.

I've never understood the whining about the distances involved. If walking <1km is a problem for you then OCS will be more than happy to wheel you to your plane. If you're capable of walking but just don't want to, well... that's just laziness tbh.

I did the walk both ways with a freshly broken ankle, it's a PITA but I'll accept it for cheap flights. Just never walk down to the 100 gates, check the board, and see your flight's actually departing from the 200 gates. THAT was fun.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The walk to Pier D would be made all the more easier and quicker if people would stand the f... out of the way on the rolling walkways! It bugs the hell out of me why people stand still on these and block the way for others! Now THAT is the height of laziness!
    Happens everywhere.
    I do love the London underground protocol of stand to the right....simple and it helps everyone

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    Happens everywhere.
    I do love the London underground protocol of stand to the right....simple and it helps everyone

It's funny the amount of resistance this simple solution garners. Nearly as bad is the clowns that get off moving escalators and travelators and stop and have a chat right at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I did the walk both ways with a freshly broken ankle, it's a PITA but I'll accept it for cheap flights. Just never walk down to the 100 gates, check the board, and see your flight's actually departing from the 200 gates. THAT was fun.

Been there, done that - PITA indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Happens everywhere.

Many years ago I was oblivious to this protocol and it took a matter of seconds before I was taught it :(
    I notice Dundrum SC have stickers on their escalators asking people to keep left to let people past.

It makes so much sense though, it should be taught in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It's funny the amount of resistance this simple solution garners. Nearly as bad is the clowns that get off moving escalators and travelators and stop and have a chat right at the end.

It's a very Irish thing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Yeah, they're bad for sure, but even worse is yer wan that comes out of arrivals with a baggage trolley that's loaded to the gills and 6 Ft wide, and who then MUST stop at the narrowest point in the crowd control rails so that the 30 people that came to meet them can fall all over them for the next 10 minutes! Would ye fer ever feck off out of the way and let the rest of us get on with our lives!

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

jimbis wrote: »
    Many years ago I was oblivious to this protocol and it took a matter of seconds before I was taught it :(
    I notice Dundrum SC have stickers on their escalators asking people to keep left to let people past.

It makes so much sense though, it should be taught in school.

You'd think, but just look at how we drive on the motorways, hogging the middle and right lanes while the left one is empty. We're a laughing stock for foreigners. Do that on an autobahn in Germany and you won't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You'd think, but just look at how we drive on the motorways, hogging the middle and right lanes while the left one is empty. We're a laughing stock for foreigners. Do that on an autobahn in Germany and you won't last long.

Except you would, because in my experience in Germany they just use any lane that's available.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Except you would, because in my experience in Germany they just use any lane that's available.

That's not my experience. They will move out of the way of any traffic behind, using only outside lanes for overtaking...at 200 kph! When you see the flashing lights behind you'd better get out of the way quick. I think in Ireland, it seems flashing lights means someone's trying to say "howya, grand day today, wha? Ah no, shtay where ya are there, I'm in no hurry either".

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Happens everywhere.

Simple but the cause of congestion at high traffic stations.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/16/the-tube-at-a-standstill-why-tfl-stopped-people-walking-up-the-escalators

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Belfunk wrote: »

Thanks for that link, really enjoyed the diversion into thinking about how the London Underground runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 gezdub

I notice some building work going on in the former cafe/restaurant on the mezzanine in T1, to the left of the bar, could this be the start of the long awaited overhaul/re-design of T1 to bring it up to the standard of T2? Anyone got any info on this development?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Happens everywhere.

I've read a study somewhere that examined this. Apparently the average speed of everyone is increased if no one walks (which would be good for London underground) as there's twice the capacity.
    However my average speed would fall

I rarely use the escalator in Ireland or moving floors in the airport as I'm actually faster walking than standing behind some lazy git

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I rarely use the escalator in Ireland or moving floors in the airport as I'm actually faster walking than standing behind some lazy git
    Personally, I always use them.
    Because its easier on my foot, which was mangled in a road traffic accident so years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

gezdub wrote: »
    I notice some building work going on in the former cafe/restaurant on the mezzanine in T1, to the left of the bar, could this be the start of the long awaited overhaul/re-design of T1 to bring it up to the standard of T2? Anyone got any info on this development?

its for remote screening for security. when its finished it will be airside. nothing for passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Are there any plans to extend pier D (the 100 gates) or do people think there is any urgent need to. It seemed very busy this morning and especially chaotic at the end of the pier at gate 115. Also how many gates are there? The overhead sign says 100-120(I think) but it didn't look like all those existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Nibs05

It's in the master plan to extend pier D eastwards towards the hangers and this will become pier G, I think currently there are 25 aircraft stands at pier D but I'm not 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I just wish there were more moving walkways on the way to/from pier D. The ones that are in there don't seem nearly long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Couldn't care less about them. I always get immediately stuck behind people who just stand and dont walk and Its faster just to walk on the side in that case. I wish they regulated them, or even have a walking one and a non-walking one. For people in a rush it can really be helpful.

medoc wrote: »
    Are there any plans to extend pier D (the 100 gates) or do people think there is any urgent need to. It seemed very busy this morning and especially chaotic at the end of the pier at gate 115. Also how many gates are there? The overhead sign says 100-120(I think) but it didn't look like all those existed.

DAA currently having a planning request in for a 10,000sq ft extension to pier D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Couldn't care less about them. I always get immediately stuck behind people who just stand and dont walk and Its faster just to walk on the side in that case. I wish they regulated them, or even have a walking one and a non-walking one. For people in a rush it can really be helpful.

Fair idea but realistically how likely do you think it is that the flying public are going to adhere to rules/directions on what walkways etc. to follow !!!! In my opinion/experience it would be waste of signage and money! It's seems a wonder to me certain passengers find the actual airport let alone their gate !

Advertisement