Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Locker10a wrote: »
    Fair idea but realistically how likely do you think it is that the flying public are going to adhere to rules/directions on what walkways etc. to follow !!!! In my opinion/experience it would be waste of signage and money! It's seems a wonder to me certain passengers find the actual airport let alone their gate !

At least in that case you have the basis to say, "Can you walk please?".
    The flying passenger has really lost education in the past few years it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Locker10a wrote: »
    Fair idea but realistically how likely do you think it is that the flying public are going to adhere to rules/directions on what walkways etc. to follow !!!! In my opinion/experience it would be waste of signage and money! It's seems a wonder to me certain passengers find the actual airport let alone their gate !

I'm always amazed when there's someone in the security queue who apparently has never been informed that you're supposed to take liquids out of your bags, and then they're surprised when their bag gets taken to the side.

That said, I do think it couldn't do any harm to have a wee painted dividing line on the walkways and escalators with some iconography indicating Stand this side, Walk/Run that side. At worst, everyone would ignore it, at best, a good amount of people would pay attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Noxegon

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm always amazed when there's someone in the security queue who apparently has never been informed that you're supposed to take liquids out of your bags, and then they're surprised when their bag gets taken to the side.

To be fair, there are inconsistencies.

US airports require shoes off.

DXB and AUH require laptops and liquids to be left in main bag.

If all airports were the same there'd be less of a problem.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Noxegon wrote: »

Fair enough, but travellers have the responsibility to research the regulations of the country/airport they are flying to and from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Fair enough, but travellers have the responsibility to research the regulations of the country/airport they are flying to and from.

Not even. There are signs galore, loudspeaker announcements and persons shouting at you at every airport for a decent stretch leading up to the screening areas. If you are so blinded by the stress of travelling that you can't follow instructions, then you shouldn't be travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I see this all the time in Dublin, and for the last 5/6 years, I have exclusively only used the Fast Track security line.

It beggars belief sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,463 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I blame the wimmins for the most part.... Turning up with boots on.. wearing more gold then Mr T and half the stock of boots cosmetic counter stuffed in various places in their bag...

I see this all the time in Dublin, and for the last 5/6 years, I have exclusively only used the Fast Track security line.

It beggars belief sometimes.

I think I hate it even more when it happens in the Fast Track line -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Newbie1000

DXB has different rules for different terminals which makes it even more confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

I ask people to move outta the way on the walkways. Nicely, like. Except sometimes, if I have to ask twice, it's snippy. I don't mind which side you stand on but please, don't stand two or three abreast and block the whole thing up. Or my special hate it when someone is standing there and leaves their case / trolley beside them. MOVE IT.

If I'm taking one of the first flights out, I'll use Fast Track. Although I have noticed of late that more and more people waddle up to Fast Track and are stunned, STUNNED, I tell you to discover that no, they can't use it. I want a special little trap door installed just for them. No Fast Track? It's the long drop for you, my friend.

I can't understand people who want to carry the contents from under the kitchen and bathroom sink with them. The staff at Dublin airport do their best but it really is beyond infuriating. From arrival at the airport at 05:00, I liked to be parked up, through security and be at the gate, with my paper, at 05:30. It's perfectly do-able and for a big airport, I think it's surprising how quickly you can get through it.

At least, it would be but for the muppets who show up and meander about as if it's their first trip to an airport ever. Empty your pockets, take off your glasses, watch, coat, jacket and belt. Have slip on shoes. Put your phone in your bag. Take out your laptop and carry no liquids at all. None. And mind where you're going with your stupid, poxy wheelie case. Stop dragging it about the place for everyone to trip over. Get one with four wheels and let it roll along beside you, if you must have one at all.

Hmmm. I'd have a brilliant airport were it not for the passengers. I'd manage it all with trap doors and cattle prods. People would soon learn, I tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

From arrival at the airport at 05:00, I liked to be parked up, through security and be at the gate, with my paper, at 05:30. It's perfectly do-able and for a big airport, I think it's surprising how quickly you can get through it.
    DUB at 05:00 is absolute bliss, no crowds, no hassle, the coffee is just freshly made, its almost perfect :)

Agreed - Terminal 2 being that bit more perfect than Terminal 1. Although, either terminal any later than 05:00 and it starts to get seriously busy. 04:00ish and the place is like a ghost town but nothing decent is open so it's boring.

I like Terminal 2 a lot. In fact, it's one of the reasons I fly Aer Lingus. I know it's more expensive and there's a Ryanair flight for half the price going to the same place I need to get to but... I just can't be ársed anymore. Terminal 2 makes it all that bit easier. Back in the day I used to be able to pick up dirt cheap Ryanair flights and would hop back and forward from college to home (MAN - DUB) whenever I wanted to. Didn't mind it at all. Nowadays, I mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Noxegon

sdanseo wrote: »
    Not even. There are signs galore, loudspeaker announcements and persons shouting at you at every airport for a decent stretch leading up to the screening areas. If you are so blinded by the stress of travelling that you can't follow instructions, then you shouldn't be travelling.

Actually, I think there's information overload here. I've developed the ability to completely tune out cabin crew PAs – it's an essential defence mechanism when flying Aer Lingus as they never bloody shut up!

Less is more. And if there was less, I think more people would listen.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

bronn wrote: »
    From arrival at the airport at 05:00, I liked to be parked up, through security and be at the gate, with my paper, at 05:30.

30 mins pffff. Out of my way Grandpa! I can do it in 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

it's an essential defence mechanism when flying Aer Lingus as they never bloody shut up!
    Oh how times have changed, when people used to endlessly whinge about Public Announcements when on FR. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭Blut2

I ask people to move outta the way on the walkways. Nicely, like. Except sometimes, if I have to ask twice, it's snippy. I don't mind which side you stand on but please, don't stand two or three abreast and block the whole thing up. Or my special hate it when someone is standing there and leaves their case / trolley beside them. MOVE IT.

If I'm taking one of the first flights out, I'll use Fast Track. Although I have noticed of late that more and more people waddle up to Fast Track and are stunned, STUNNED, I tell you to discover that no, they can't use it. I want a special little trap door installed just for them. No Fast Track? It's the long drop for you, my friend.

I can't understand people who want to carry the contents from under the kitchen and bathroom sink with them. The staff at Dublin airport do their best but it really is beyond infuriating. From arrival at the airport at 05:00, I liked to be parked up, through security and be at the gate, with my paper, at 05:30. It's perfectly do-able and for a big airport, I think it's surprising how quickly you can get through it.

At least, it would be but for the muppets who show up and meander about as if it's their first trip to an airport ever. Empty your pockets, take off your glasses, watch, coat, jacket and belt. Have slip on shoes. Put your phone in your bag. Take out your laptop and carry no liquids at all. None. And mind where you're going with your stupid, poxy wheelie case. Stop dragging it about the place for everyone to trip over. Get one with four wheels and let it roll along beside you, if you must have one at all.

Hmmm. I'd have a brilliant airport were it not for the passengers. I'd manage it all with trap doors and cattle prods. People would soon learn, I tell you.

I wish airports had some equivalent of Frequent Flyer privileges. A certain security line, a certain boarding area etc only for passengers that have passed through the airport 20 times in the last 12 months. Or similar.

It would cut out so much stress for everyone, both staff and passengers. An area where everyone knows exactly what they're doing. Bliss.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    :pac: Challenge accepted. And no stealing someone's parking spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Blut2 wrote: »
    I wish airports had some equivalent of Frequent Flyer privileges. A certain security line, a certain boarding area etc only for passengers that have passed through the airport 20 times in the last 12 months. Or similar.

It would cut out so much stress for everyone, both staff and passengers. An area where everyone knows exactly what they're doing. Bliss.

I call that London City. Have the dubious pleasure of doing the daytrip from Dublin a fair bit, and on the evening flight home, it's just an efficient flow of laptop bags through at security...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Bigcheeze wrote: »

I always aim to arrive at the airport 45 minutes before departure (no bag to check), and still have time for a coffee in the Aer Lingus lounge, and be at the gate before boarding starts!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I always aim to arrive at the airport 45 minutes before departure (no bag to check), and still have time for a coffee in the Aer Lingus lounge, and be at the gate before boarding starts!

Once upon a time, when travelling regularly was still pleasant, I arrived at the desk at departure -5 (road accident on the route to the airport, Bristol), and the aircraft left on time, with me on it, and that was in the days when bags went in the hold, and it did.

I had called ahead to see if they'd keep the flight open, and I was a regular, so they knew me well, but it was still a nice plus to get on the flight.

The issue for me is consistency, I never know from one trip to the next what they are going to require at Dublin, some trips they want shoes, another it's shoes and belts, another it's none of them, and they get nasty and snappy if your guess on the day does not match their changed rules, and there's no indication until you're standing at the scanner as to which version of the rules is in use today. That's what causes the stress, and even more so if you also have to take the laptop out of the bag, keeping track of where everything is, and that it's not being removed by someone else, and then putting it all back in the right places is a hassle that only makes the whole experience a lot less than pleasant.

Add a couple of under 6's into the mix and it's not fun, or easy to manage, and while fast track can remove one hassle (the queue), it doesn't solve the other problems of trying to deal with too many variables at the same moment. A larger "collect" area after the scanner would help, it's not easy to grab coat, shoes, belt, laptop out of bag, bag, the "liquids" bag, manage one or 2 small kids (and their bits and pieces) AND move out of the way to sort that lot out while in imminent danger of losing trousers due to absence of belt, and if you stay at the collect area to sort that lot out, it blocks others from getting through the process.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Thats because they never leave on-time! BOOM :D:D:D

Most stressed departure ever but the quickest I did it was in Heathrow with the old Aer Lingus gate. For some reason I will never know, I read the arrival time in DUB as the departure time for LHR. I remember sitting on the Heathrow Express, quite happy with myself, and casually looking over my boarding pass. The creeping realisation of horror was quite something.

The train pulled in to Heathrow with 10 minutes until gate closed. I absolutely legged it. Skidded up to Aer Lingus desk to beg them not to shut the gate - I was en route. They weren't sure I'd make it because those old gates were a LONG way down the terminal. Only a brief hold up in security and they knew I was in a major rush, so the security guards held up the strap barriers for me and ushered me through underneath them all. Forget asking people to step aside on walkways, I shouted at them to MOVE as I ran past. I thought I would pass out (last flight of the day) but sure enough, they waited for me as I'd no luggage. Even kept a seat free beside the door. I was practically chucked onto the aircraft and off it went. Made the whole thing, from train arrival to boarding the aircraft in 11 minutes. Nearly bloody killed me, but I made it. I've never run that fast in my life either before or since. My heart didn't slow down until we were over Wales. :D

Most stressed departure ever but the quickest I did it was in Heathrow with the old Aer Lingus gate. For some reason I will never know, I read the arrival time in DUB as the departure time for LHR. I remember sitting on the Heathrow Express, quite happy with myself, and casually looking over my boarding pass. The creeping realisation of horror was quite something.

The train pulled in to Heathrow with 10 minutes until gate closed. I absolutely legged it. Skidded up to Aer Lingus desk to beg them not to shut the gate - I was en route. They weren't sure I'd make it because those old gates were a LONG way down the terminal. Only a brief hold up in security and they knew I was in a major rush, so the security guards held up the strap barriers for me and ushered me through underneath them all. Forget asking people to step aside on walkways, I shouted at them to MOVE as I ran past. I thought I would pass out (last flight of the day) but sure enough, they waited for me as I'd no luggage. Even kept a seat free beside the door. I was practically chucked onto the aircraft and off it went. Made the whole thing, from train arrival to boarding the aircraft in 11 minutes. Nearly bloody killed me, but I made it. I've never run that fast in my life either before or since. My heart didn't slow down until we were over Wales. :D

Jaysus does that include the second Paddy Portal security checkpoint? I will not miss LHR T1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Shannon Control

Luckily you were in London... I came back from CDG with EI after New Year's and there were spot security checks on the metro, I was already in a rush with the flight departing 11.30 and it being 10.30. Got to the airport anyway at 11.10. Had only 1 carry-on so I legged it up the long hallway, got to an escalator after security letting me through to be stuck behind a pile of Parisians (yes it was as bad as it sounds). I was saying excuse me I have my flight to catch etc and got the most horrible looks from all of them. They wouldn't budge without a big UGHHHHH.
    Got to the gate at 11.32 ish and saw the tug crew connecting the pin and just got laughed at by the very old gate agent. Was not happy :(

Jaysus does that include the second Paddy Portal security checkpoint? I will not miss LHR T1.
    No - I have zero memory of that. :confused: I remember the day it happened - 19th June, 2012. Was there another security checkpoint for Ireland then? All Heathrow personnel that day did everything the could to help me get through security quickly.

No - I have zero memory of that. :confused: I remember the day it happened - 19th June, 2012. Was there another security checkpoint for Ireland then? All Heathrow personnel that day did everything the could to help me get through security quickly.

Yeah, LHR T1 had the initial outer security check for everyone (including international transfers), and then another inner security check when you'd leave the main terminal area to go to that depressing little Irish flights area (Pier 4/4A I believe it was officially called). It was a pain in the arse, especially when anytime I went through there, I'd usually just got off a 5-11 hour flight from the US

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

MJohnston wrote:
    Yeah, LHR T1 had the initial outer security check for everyone (including international transfers), and then another inner security check when you'd leave the main terminal area to go to that depressing little Irish flights area (Pier 4/4A I believe it was officially called). It was a pain in the arse, especially when anytime I went through there, I'd usually just got off a 5-11 hour flight from the US

It's called biometric security and it still exists, it's now just done at the gate in T2 before you board the aircraft.

Biometric place! Duh, yes, thats where they held up all the strap barriers for me to duck under. Yer one on the scanner made me do it twice and then the lads ushered me through. The two security checks are merged in my head from that day. I also remember nothing of the Green Mile apart from pelting along the walkways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Last year with a long long frequency of either the first Manchester EI or the first Edinburgh EI it is perfectly possible to be out the taxi in T2, drop your luggage at bag drop, and be through security in < 7 mins

This works because its mostly commuters who know the routine

My pet peeve is people who undress for the gates ( thats OK ) but proceed to completely dress themselves again at the other end of the belt without moving away with their trays to the area provided to do this - Y'all are slowing it down for the rest of us .

2nd pet peeve is people who're not prepped when its their turn at the belt - yes if you've kids you've got bigger things to worry about, its not you I'm worried about - take as long as you like , its the dozy lot who pitch up at the belt without even having coins out of their trouser pockets

Wasn't there a film with Clooney in it where he gave tips like stand behind Japanese lads ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

trellheim wrote: »

Wasn't there a film with Clooney in it where he gave tips like stand behind Japanese lads ?

Up In The Air.

Should be on a loop at security.

Advertisement