Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

July traffic up 9.4% to just under 2.945,000 million, in passengers terms it's just under an extra 250,000.

On a general note lack of EI long haul growth means it's lowest growth % in some time. Would expect July 2017 to pass 3 million in a single month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    July traffic up 9.4% to just under 2.945,000 million, in passengers terms it's just under an extra 250,000.

On a general note lack of EI long haul growth means it's lowest growth % in some time. Would expect July 2017 to pass 3 million in a single month.

Growth was due to slow, a lot of the growth since 2010 was recovering the drip in 7-8 million between 2008-2009 for DAA traffic. The recent growth surge will slow now due to various factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fattes wrote: »
    Growth was due to slow, a lot of the growth since 2010 was recovering the drip in 7-8 million between 2008-2009 for DAA traffic. The recent growth surge will slow now due to various factors.

The addition of at least a 330 pretty much every summer for the last few summers and just a 757 this year will have had a significant enough impact. ~15k passengers a month on the 330 TATL + possibly some uplift on European from maybe doing a bucket and spade rotation + the 320 being available from that rotation.

The MAD-IAD frame came back in 2013
    The "Shannon" 330 came in 2014 + a 757 for YYZ
    EI-EWR came back in 2015
    Just an extra 757 this year.

L1011 wrote: »
    The addition of at least a 330 pretty much every summer for the last few summers and just a 757 this year will have had a significant enough impact. ~15k passengers a month on the 330 TATL + possibly some uplift on European from maybe doing a bucket and spade rotation + the 320 being available from that rotation.

The MAD-IAD frame came back in 2013
    The "Shannon" 330 came in 2014 + a 757 for YYZ
    EI-EWR came back in 2015
    Just an extra 757 this year.

Passenger numbers went from nearly 24 million down to 18 million in 2 years, so the growth of the past has partly been recovery, in real terms the growth is about 1.8 million from the previous peak. The new runway and ancillary infrastructure should see growth continue, but at a slower pace. There are a few external factors that may impact that, but hopefully the new capacity and well targeted routes by airlines will balance that,.

Agree such growth figures are never going to be sustainable long term. Will eventually return to more modest figures which is not a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

at what stage numbers wise would dublin as a 2 runway 2 terminal airport be at capacity, roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

salmocab wrote: »
    at what stage numbers wise would dublin as a 2 runway 2 terminal airport be at capacity, roughly?

I think it's either 30m or 35m, pretty sure it's the second

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    I think it's either 30m or 35m, pretty sure it's the second

35m on paper but you could get to 40 million quiet easily, it's aircraft stands that are the main problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

35m on paper but you could get to 40 million quiet easily, it's aircraft stands that are the main problem.

Any signs of movement on adding extra gates/stands?

medoc wrote: »
    Any signs of movement on adding extra gates/stands?

They have the 10 new ones with 5G, also a T2 busing area to possibly other new stands can't remember but it's going to be caught up in planning for months and likely end up with An Bord Pleanala,

Wouldn't expect any major changes for some time as there is not enough appetite form airlines namely EI/FR.

• Advertisement

Capacity is c42m combined but could easily squeeze another 10% through

They have the 10 new ones with 5G, also a T2 busing area to possibly other new stands can't remember but it's going to be caught up in planning for months and likely end up with An Bord Pleanala,

Wouldn't expect any major changes for some time as there is not enough appetite form airlines namely EI/FR.

Funnily enough extra stands and aprons are never really an issue from a planning perspective. Capacity is exactly 35 million for both terminals.
    Anything above that is possible but you would be back to pre T2 levels of Carnage.

Numbers will probably level out at about 28-30 million in the near future

Funnily enough extra stands and aprons are never really an issue from a planning perspective. Capacity is exactly 35 million for both terminals.
    Anything above that is possible but you would be back to pre T2 levels of Carnage.

Numbers will probably level out at about 28-30 million in the near future

You will easily get more than 35 million. Security.check in have lots of room to grow in T1 and the new self service check in have really helped in T2.

The T2 busing stands have ran into problems by IALPA saying it puts lives at risk and have appealed the planing granted by Fingal.

You will not see any talk of T2 when 35 million is reached.

You will easily get more than 35 million. Security.check in have lots of room to grow in T1 and the new self service check in have really helped in T2.

The T2 busing stands have ran into problems by IALPA saying it puts lives at risk and have appealed the planing granted by Fingal.

You will not see any talk of T2 when 35 million is reached.

35 is the official DAA figure, check in space at T2 is an issue. EI desks are all ready manic on busy mornings, new self service desks have helped

In relation to PO stands and gates tend not to draw large objections from residents etc in the scale that the new runway or other developments will

35 is the official DAA figure, check in space at T2 is an issue. EI desks are all ready manic on busy mornings, new self service desks have helped

In relation to PO stands and gates tend not to draw large objections from residents etc in the scale that the new runway or other developments will

Yes its a number and that's all it is. Meaningless in reality. CAR, EI, FR will not sanction a third terminal this side of 2026, you might be lucky if it's open post 2030.

circa 40 million between T1+2.

18-20 million in T1 and 21.5 in T2.

CAR figures.

Fattes I'll post this again. These figures are from CAR and the DAA. Figures available in official determination papers and method of calculation.

Fattes I'll post this again. These figures are from CAR and the DAA. Figures available in official determination papers and method of calculation.

Their planning applications to Fingal quote 35 million, including the recent Runway 2 application. The planning for T2 quoted the same

Their planning applications to Fingal quote 35 million, including the recent Runway 2 application. The planning for T2 quoted the same

Recent ? Both are ten year old applications and the work done inside the terminals in the mean time has improved capacity to between 39.5 and 42 million passengers as determined by both CAR and the DAA for the 2014 submission(figures determined by per hour pax throughout throughout the airport).

Either way both figures 35 or 40 are several years away from even being in sight. So much so that T3 isn't even an itch in the DAA's jocks yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Does anyone have any photos of the T1 improvements? Namely arrivals and departures halls.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Khuitlio wrote: »
    Does anyone have any photos of the T1 improvements? Namely arrivals and departures halls.

For one, you cannot photograph security checks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

According to their twitter the Pre-Clearance lounge will be called 51st&Green and will be opened on July 18th.
    https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/753622777937195008

From the website:
    https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/travel-services/51st-green---the-us-preclearance-lounge

I visited that lounge on a recent trip to the US, it's quite simply lovely. Quote from a post I made elsewhere.
    I flew coach to Charlotte 3 weeks back, am AA Platinum, Lounge access was granted as expected. This is a beautiful lounge, it sits at the end of the T2 Pier with a wraparound window that has an awesome view of the runway, it's spacious with very comfortable chairs.

It has Barista Coffee, Beers, Wine and Spirits as well as lovely fresh croissants, fruit and cereal. Even fresh made smoothies served in little old fashioned milk bottles. It is spacious, wasn't very busy despite my visit in the middle of prime time for US Departures.

It is the nicest lounge I have visited anywhere. It also has the unique claim to be the only lounge that is on American land but not in America, I am sure that makes it the first lounge of any country not actually physically located in that country.

It is also very close to all the departure gates given where it is situated, it is a massive boon to anyone travelling out of Dublin to the States especially given the paucity of food and drink options in that part of the Terminal and asscoiated long queues one used to have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"It also has the unique claim to be the only lounge that is on American land but not in America, I am sure that makes it the first lounge of any country not actually physically located in that country."

Post-CBP is not American land, nor is this the only post CBP lounge anyway. The post CBP area in Montreal is vast - and contains an Air Canada lounge as well as two bars, a Burger King, some clothes shops, etc, etc.

YUL hasn't got that much more US traffic than DUB (3.7m vs maybe 2.5M) but its much more spread over the day rather than a huge clump in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

not sure if this is the correct thread for this. Flew over to vegas via gatwick about two weeks ago/ As it was a 7am flight, I was delighted I wasnt pre-clearing. Low and behold I get to vegas, off the plane and out through the automated security in several minutes V rocking up to dublin probably an hour to an hour and a half earlier to pre- clear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Idbatterim wrote: »
    not sure if this is the correct thread for this. Flew over to vegas via gatwick about two weeks ago/ As it was a 7am flight, I was delighted I wasnt pre-clearing. Low and behold I get to vegas, off the plane and out through the automated security in several minutes V rocking up to dublin probably an hour to an hour and a half earlier to pre- clear...

Some airports in the States now have automated gates for certain countries wih ESTA and biometric passports

Avada wrote: »
    200 are being split so arriving and departing pax are (finally!) being seperated. I'm assuming thats the work you are seeing.

Spot on, also chatter about an airbridge for BA but I can't see that fitting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Spot on, also chatter about an airbridge for BA but I can't see that fitting in.

They would have to move from their usual stand, cant see that happening

• Registered Users Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Why don't BA just move to T2? and occupy the same terminal that their little brother primarily uses? surely there would be a cost benefit to it? i.e. using EI resources that are already in place at T2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Why don't BA just move to T2? and occupy the same terminal that their little brother primarily uses? surely there would be a cost benefit to it? i.e. using EI resources that are already in place at T2

it would make sense for sure from the operational perspective. and also, for connecting passengers e.g. from LCY-DUB- US destination (other than JFK!)

Simply because they would be using T1 for half the flights anyway.

Like at LHR space is a problem. The level of feed BA will deliver to EI isn't significant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Pilots appeal Dublin Airport plans over Metro North link

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/pilots-appeal-dublin-airport-plans-over-metro-north-link-1.2811950

I dont know if Ialpa are right or wrong, but I am glad if potential issues have been raised one way or another...

Advertisement