Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Why should an airline compromise it's schedule and yield just because another airline serves the same route? BA and EI do still have different intellect, and fly to different terminals in both airports.
    and some buses drop you off at one quay in Dublin and others drop you off at the next one down the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

737max wrote: »
    and some buses drop you off at one quay in Dublin and others drop you off at the next one down the river.

Well basically what you're proposing is that the bus from Limerick stops in North Dublin, but there's no other buses because there's already a bus doing the route. Not much use for someone who needs to get to Dalkey is it?

Well basically what you're proposing is that the bus from Limerick stops in North Dublin, but there's no other buses because there's already a bus doing the route. Not much use for someone who needs to get to Dalkey is it?
    Many European airports are actually connected to their Cities by light rail and connected to nearby cities by train stations on site. Imagine that!

If you are getting as far as the city you can get the last few miles or kilometres (in euro speak) easily enough.

It is just a matter of ensuring that Ireland has a connection to those major industrial cities where all the wealthy expanding companies are located.

And what happens when there's a severe monopoly on the routes and they're so expensive nobody travels anymore?

Why should an airline compromise it's schedule and yield just because...
    Why should a publicly owned piece of infrastructure put private commercial operators' interests ahead of the interests of its stakeholders.

• Advertisement

And what happens when there's a severe monopoly on the routes and they're so expensive nobody travels anymore?
    Tell me when that is going to happen any time soon on the link between Dublin and London.
    Anyhow the monopoly you scaremonger about is already there in the parent company which owns BA and AL but has been neutralised by not one but two flights 5 minutes later in to another London airport. one of those two later flights is sufficient.

Why should a publicly owned piece of infrastructure put the interests of private commercial operators' interests ahead of the interests of its stakeholders.

How in the name of god is a few flights to London going to affect the shareholder? I'm sure if any had a problem they would raise it!

How in the name of god is a few flights to London going to affect the shareholder? I'm sure if any had a problem they would raise it!

I said stakeholders, not shareholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

We do if it means that a plane still overnights in Dublin and services a new previously un-served or under-served route.
    For example who wants to be flying in to Stuttgart on an Aer Lingus plane just as all the businesses are closing in the afternoon. Is that route a failure because nobody needs to go to Stuttgart or because the timings and frequency are rubbish.
    We don't want to lose the Ireland to LHR slot though. If the slot could be moved to another origin airport in Ireland then fine. Or if one of them could be swapped for a later one (early morning ones must be quite valuable), then you could look at using bigger aircraft maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Cravens

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/o-leary-says-ryanair-would-provide-third-airport-terminal-1.2825865

€200m seems an awful lot for Ryanair to spend on a terminal. I'd have thought that they'd have opted for an enlarged version of the Billi terminal at Bordeaux, which cost €5.5m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Its clever, Pay €200 million up front, Own all the car parks for that terminal & stick a €2 charge to drop people off. As well as all the rent from shops and work out a charge for landing fees and he has a bargin for 50 years.

He hates the DAA as they charge him. Do you think he pays much to land at Knock?

Still has to pay significant runway fees do they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Knowing Ryanair they will spin it that they shouldn't as they spent 200 million on a terminal.

afatbollix wrote: »
    Knowing Ryanair they will spin it that they shouldn't as they spent 200 million on a terminal.

Don't think that will wash with the DAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

T3 could cost circa 800-1 billion if you factor in land purchase, access and capacity (20 million ish) and new apron area.

Anyway why would Ryanair want to move to a bran new facility, chances are MOL won't be CEO when it opens or even the planning application is lodged.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭sandbelter

Its clever, Pay 200 million up front, Own all the car parks for that terminal & stick a 2 charge to drop people off. As well as all the rent from shops and work out a charge for landing fees and he has a bargin for 50 years.

He hates the DAA as they charge him. Do you think he pays much to land at Knock?
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    T3 could cost circa 800-1 billion if you factor in land purchase, access and capacity (20 million ish) and new apron area.

Anyway why would Ryanair want to move to a bran new facility, chances are MOL won't be CEO when it opens or even the planning application is lodged.

You can be guaranteed that some one like Canada's Ontario Teachers/CDC Infrastructure or Australia's Infrastructure Funds Management/AMP Infrastructure will be currently running the models in preparation for a "cold" pitch and making discreet inquiries. There are very few airports investments globally in the pipeline of the quality of a potential Dublin T3, they'll be busting at the teeth to fund it. So..don't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ethiad going twice daily to Abu Dhabi & moving over to Terminal 1

etihad-announces-twicedaily-flights-from-dublin-to-abu-dhabi

I don't see this doing much really if it's a standalone measure. Just swapping aircraft from B to E and vice versa.

Giving DL and AA more check in space is possibly a major part of the move or making way for QR.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Must agree, T1 is back ahead of T2 in my eyes. When T2 opened I loved it but I've come to realise that there is nothing in it!

My girlfriend likes to go up early before a flight but I find the time drags in T2. The upgrades at T1 are fantastic. Much better shops, restaurants and the lengths of the area makes it feel like you're doing more.

I prefer to travel Aer Lingus when I can but T1 is swaying me back to Ryanair.

But you can use security in either terminal (provided you only have hand luggage) and nothing stops you from walking across from one terminal to the other airside if you so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

Its clever, Pay €200 million up front, Own all the car parks for that terminal & stick a €2 charge to drop people off. As well as all the rent from shops and work out a charge for landing fees and he has a bargin for 50 years.

Probably not very much, as Knock hits the passenger directly with the charge, in a form of highway robbery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

lxflyer wrote: »
    But you can use security in either terminal (provided you only have hand luggage) and nothing stops you from walking across from one terminal to the other airside if you so wish.

If you're going to the US, there's always the pre-clearance paranoia!

lxflyer wrote: »

Do the Boarding Card scanners not pick up on the flight being from a different terminal?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Do the Boarding Card scanners not pick up on the flight being from a different terminal?
    It doesnt really matter which security point you use as you can access all gates from either security area.
    In practical terms both terminals are merged into one airside unlike some other airports where the terminals can be up to 2-3 kms from each other.

Aer Lingus Flight to Frankfurt Main on Tuesday afternoon supposedly flying from Terminal 2 but the flight departed from a round pier which is just across from Terminal 1 security check as far as I can see.
    I'd have been quicker to use Terminal 1 I think.

Flew in to Terminal 2 the Friday night before and for what is supposed to be a new terminal the place looked pretty dreary. Same round pier and narrow corridors and steep steps.

Come out to car hire kiosks, wait an eternity to be served, no hire cars kept in the multi-storey, told to go downstairs and wait for shuttle with no indication on bus shelter that our shuttle stops there.

For a new terminal, T2 isn't very inviting but I'd guess it is the luck of the draw as to what time of day you arrive and which gate you are using.

Aer Lingus Flight to Frankfurt Main on Tuesday afternoon supposedly flying from Terminal 2 but the flight departed from a round pier which is just across from Terminal 1 security check as far as I can see.
    I'd have been quicker to use Terminal 1 I think.

Flew in to Terminal 2 the Friday night before and for what is supposed to be a new terminal the place looked pretty dreary. Same round pier and narrow corridors and steep steps.

Come out to car hire kiosks, wait an eternity to be served, no hire cars kept in the multi-storey, told to go downstairs and wait for shuttle with no indication on bus shelter that our shuttle stops there.

For a new terminal, T2 isn't very inviting but I'd guess it is the luck of the draw as to what time of day you arrive and which gate you are using.

The round pier is part of T1

T2 is written on the check-in notifications which I received and initial booking confirmation. Received absolutely no indication from Aer Lingus that I should go to T1 and the arrival flight brought me through T2 security check out in to T2, not T1.

Dublin Airport isn't an inviting airport. The car hire situation is a major annoyance too. A visitior books being told that Car Hire is on site but it is actually off-site accessible by shuttle and it adds 20 minutes to the amount of time it takes to get on with the onward journey.. I'm used to the airport but a new arrival to the airport would be very confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Stansted is even worse... car hire all offsite at the "Car Hire Village" accessible via a shuttle bus and a scrum.

Realistically in Dublin you could very easily walk to the multi-storeys, I think. They're not that far but the signage should be there.

T2 is written on the check-in notifications which I received and initial booking confirmation. Received absolutely no indication from Aer Lingus that I should go to T1 and the arrival flight brought me through T2 security check out in to T2, not T1.

Dublin Airport isn't an inviting airport. The car hire situation is a major annoyance too. A visitior books being told that Car Hire is on site but it is actually off-site accessible by shuttle and it adds 20 minutes to the amount of time it takes to get on with the onward journey.. I'm used to the airport but a new arrival to the airport would be very confused.

It is nothing unique to Dublin, same happens across Europe.

Example is Malaga, EI use T3 yet all UK/IE flights depart from old pier.

Never heard many issue about car hire from passengers.

they definitely have hire cars in the multistorey car parks but they put everyone on the shuttles except late at night and even then they still often send you to the off-site location.
    I was trying to inspect my car for damage in darkness before leaving the compound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

they definitely have hire cars in the multistorey car parks but they put everyone on the shuttles except late at night and even then they still often send you to the off-site location.
    I was trying to inspect my car for damage in darkness before leaving the compound.

The hire cars on airport are generally reserved for loyalty club members - these are generally free to join. When I have been asked to inspect in darkness, I have simply insisted on them driving it into the light.

Advertisement