Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There isn't an alternative for the vast majority of passengers. Why? Because Dub is a major airport with hundreds of destinations. SNN and ORK aren't and have about 20 destinations each.

And despite what you believe, the customer in NOT always right. If they were nothing would work smoothly.

If passengers used SNN or ORK more maybe they'd have note destinations.

And I agree, the customer is always right is a customer service ethic, make the customer think they're right when realistically they are being completely unreasonable most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Carnacalla wrote: »
    You need to calm down and realise the world isn't after you.

I've used Dublin Airport three times this year and will be using it again next month, each time the experience in DUB has been MUCH better than the experience on the other side.
    this is a thread about Dublin airport not the World in General.
    I point out the absurdity of flying in to T2 and actually ending up in T1 and on-site car hire not being on-site and everyone gets defensive around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Negative_G

737max wrote: »
    I point out the absurdity of flying in to T2 and actually ending up in T1 and on-site car hire not being on-site and everyone gets defensive around here.

Can't please everyone. Build a bridge and get over it. Your posts come across like those of a petulant child.

Negative_G wrote: »
    Build a bridge and get over it. Your posts come across like that of a petulant child.

I don't like airbridges as they delay me and that is why I will often fly Ryanair instead of Aer Lingus or Lufthansa.

You would prefer to label me petulant which is an ad-hominem attack rather than dealing with the substance of my contributions to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

With respect it's not about being defensive - it is explaining the practicalities of the situation, the realities of which you are free not to like.

It's not going to change the reality that the airport has a stand capacity issue.

But just because I or others take the time to explain why things happen a particular way, or don't agree with your view, doesn't give you the right to make assumptions about me, or frankly insulting comments about other posters here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Boards.ie advise everyone not to feed the troll.

In this case we have a poster who is terribly upset by the inconsiderate planning and layout of Dublin airport and prefers to use other Irish airports. That is their choice and right.
    That poster however is coming onto a Dublin airport thread to rant about their personal issues.
    Airline/Airport bashing is not permitted on this forum.

As a moderator Im telling 737max to cease and desist until you can express yout opinions in a more objective manner.
    Im also telling everyone else to ignore the trolling posts.

Tenger wrote: »

As a moderator Im telling 737max to cease and desist until you can express you opinions in a more objective manner.
    Im also telling everyone else to ignore the trolling posts.
    *MOD POST*

When a plane delivers up to 200 hundred people(x 6 or 8 per night and morning) including the Poster in to a terminal other than the one that was posted on the boarding card then it is not by definition "subjective". It materially affects more than one person so on two counts it is not "subjective", it is "objective". at a conservative estimation that is over 500000 people being delivered to a terminal that isn't the one they expected.

On-site car hire which is not actually on-site affecting hundreds of thousands if not millions of users of the airport is also an objective criticism of the airport.

I'm keeping on point which is to discuss Dublin Airport and Infrastructure including amenities such as the car hire compounds and you are tripping over yourself to find an excuse to silence me.

If Dublin Airport would address these issues then more visitors passing through it won't wish to avoid it and will recommend it Dublin to their friends and business acquaintances as a good place to visit in future rather than another airport or holiday destination.

Do you not want Dublin Airport to be best that it can be?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I flew EI from LGW to DUB 3 weeks ago and arrived at T2
    I flew EI from LGW to DUB 2 weeks ago and arrived at T1 - and then was directed to the T2 hall through a corridor, no big deal really!! (I could actually do with the exercise).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I have been to many airports in 2016 and Dublin Airport is certainly not in a category that I would call poor and is fast improving in the last few years if you ask me. It's not perfect, not by any stretch but some of the criticism I have read here is over the top, it is by far the best airport on this Island for passengers in my view.

Honestly whether your flight takes off from T1 or T2 matters very little which security you go through as they are hardly miles apart, sure a little bit more walking but it's not going to kill you and hardly the biggest crisis, it's not like Barcelona where you have to get a 10 minute bus ride between the two terminals.

Simple fact is that people will go to Dublin Airport over the regional airports in a lot of cases because it offers better pricing due to higher levels of competition, good access from all over the country that is continually improving, good schedules and good frequency. That's why the numbers from NI are growing a lot in the past few years, if it was really such a bad airport then nobody would travel south of the border.

That being said there are some things I don't like

Firstly T1 and passport control is poor and the fact that if you are on a UK flight you need to go through it as well and the walk to the Ryanair gates unless you are in the 200 series which some flights are, is quite long with a range of overpriced and poor quality catering outlets and the back end of the 11x gates are is mayhem in the mornings with 4 queues getting mixed up with each other.

In T2 maybe it is Aer Lingus but honestly the luggage handling there is amongst the slowest I have seen anywhere in Europe, too many times I have been waiting for too long for luggage and it also has very poor public transport infrastructure and seems to use a lot of space without fitting too much in.

Then there is the issue with flights vs runway capacity in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

devnull wrote: »
    In T2 maybe it is Aer Lingus but honestly the luggage handling there is amongst the slowest I have seen anywhere in Europe

Big Time!!!

I once flew MAN-DUB in 33 minutes (weeks up to wheels down), and waited (at the belt) for 37 minutes before the bags started flowing,

this was around 7pm, when the place is like a ghost town.

• Advertisement

Big Time!!!

I once flew MAN-DUB in 33 minutes (weeks up to wheels down), and waited (at the belt) for 37 minutes before the bags started flowing,

There's some complicated issue with getting baggage into the hall below when it's busy and reduced staff per turn around, maybe billie1b can explain it better.

Big Time!!!

no surprise why inconsiderate so and so's bring their oversized wheelie cases on as cabin baggage.

Based on this forum's posts an Airport Authority which actually cared could have a list of corrective measures introduced which would improve the user experience for the flying public.

Simple fact is that people will go to Dublin Airport over the regional airports in a lot of cases because it offers better pricing
    outside of high holiday season you'll probably find the airports on the west and south coast are cheaper. I certainly do and outside of peak the difference is enough to pay for a hire car for a long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The amusing thing here is that the B gates (as I shall continue to refer to them) are still substantially closer to the T2 arrivals hall (or at least involve a shorter walk) than the D gates are to the T1 arrivals hall.

I don't like walking either but it would be far from my biggest complaint about Dublin airport.

As regards carhire, there is simply no provision for all carhire companies to maintain all cars at Dublin airport.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

outside of high holiday season you'll probably find the airports on the west and south coast are cheaper. I certainly do and outside of peak the difference is enough to pay for a hire car for a long weekend.

That's not my experience at all, especially on Ryanair where Dublin is far cheaper almost all of the time with a much better frequency, but I know with Aer Lingus there is less difference.

It is my experience with Ryanair.

Marcusm wrote: »
    As regards carhire, there is simply no provision for all carhire companies to maintain all cars at Dublin airport.
    There would be for most of them but it involves a lot of musical chairs and labour reducing profit; this will continue as long as all car hire companies over there in the compound continue to act in concert to claim they are on-site when they are not. It is not in the public interest as it stands.
    There are not on-site, they are off-site with a row of houses and a pub between them but I go on right now to a German car hire website to search for offers and select "Abhol-Direkt im Flughafen Terminal" rather than "shuttle" and it is all the usual suspects who will tell me to catch the shuttle outside the door and if I protest they'll say my car is prepared for me and waiting in the compound. This is something which they chose not to compete on and they will not surrender their parking spaces in Terminal 1 or Terminal 2 short-stay parking garages to a new entrant who would chose to compete on this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That's not my experience at all, especially on Ryanair where Dublin is far cheaper almost all of the time with a much better frequency, but I know with Aer Lingus there is less difference.

I can also say I have never seen this.

I've been on the flights.
    You see them going for 9.99 or 14.99 when Dublin to the same airport are 39.99 or more. You do the maths. You figure, OK, a bit further away but I'll be out of the terminal 15 minutes earlier and the car hire offices are actually closer by foot to the arrival gates than the ones in Dublin and two tolls avoided from Dublin to home and back again. Simple decision to make if the timings suit and you live to the west or south of the Pale.
    The regional airports should do more positive things to market themselves rather than bitching about Bias against the regions to any journalist who has a few square inches of Column space to fill.

When a plane delivers up to 200 hundred people(x 6 or 8 per night and morning) including the Poster in to a terminal other than the one that was posted on the boarding card then it is not by definition "subjective"..........

I'm keeping on point which is to discuss Dublin Airport and Infrastructure including amenities such as the car hire compounds and you are tripping over yourself to find an excuse to silence me.

If Dublin Airport would address these issues.......
    My role at this point is to keep this forum on topic and tidy. We can discuss the topic. We arent here to rant about it or try to solve it. We arent the DAA. If you have an issue with the layout of the airport then take it up with the Airport themselves or choose not to use their facility.

T2 at Dublin airport utilises both Pier E and Pier B gates once landside, T1 utilises Pier D, A and B gates once landside. This is the situation at Dublin airport, it is not a lie, it is not a trick. This has been stated to you by other posters here. Signage inside the airport is quite clear about the location of the 400&300 gates in T2, also the 100,200&300 gates when in T1.

Poster banned for 1 week;
    ignored mod warning for trolling,
    argued in thread while quoting mod warning,
    continued behaviour that had been warned about earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Firstly T1 and passport control is poor and the fact that if you are on a UK flight you need to go through it as well

May as well get used to that now unfortunately! Especially with the UK government wanting Ireland to do their immigration job for them, I suppose they'll want DUB to have LHR levels of OTT security checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

I've gone through T1 100's of times over the past 10 years or so and there is no doubt in my mind that it has improved quite a bit over that period. A lot done but more to do.

However, it falls down deplorably in one department. An essential department. The men's toilets in Pier D (100 gates) are hopelessly inadequate. The miserable few cubicles are grossly undersized. The miserable few urinals have no dividers and you simply could not go in if there are any kids already present. I cannot understand how the mind of whoever designed it did not think about the thousands who would be using the facility.

I wrote about it to the daa once but never got a reply.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Not directly relevant, but I noticed during the summer that flights began passing over our house in Tallaght quite regularly - maybe twice an hour. Have flight paths been changed recently?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Car hire, the majority of vehicles are now off airport for 2 reasons. The first, which is very simple, the lack of space within the main airport complex. Part of that is the requirement for parking for both passengers and equally importantly, given the 24/7 nature of the place, staff parking. Arguments could be validly made that DAA have been very slow in introducing multi storey parking within the central area, but cost is undoubtedly a significant part of that argument.

The other reason for the hire companies moving out of the central area is that the costs of renting space from DAA are very high. Having said that, pretty much most other major airports that are the size of Dublin and handling similar volumes of passengers are similar in the way that car hire is managed, most of them are off airport with shuttle buses to their compounds, some of the companies will have a few vehicles in designated spaces for their premium customers, but not many, and at certain times of the day, the demand will outstrip the spaces available, so some customers will still have to take the shuttle bus to the main compound. The buses are regular, and the distances involved are not significant, so I don't see it as an issue at Dublin or any of the other airports that have similar systems. Yes, the small regional airports may well be closer, and quicker to get out of, but if there's only one flight a day, that may well mean that the timings don't suit, and in some cases, there's not even one flight a day, which can mean that it's not possible to use them.

In among all the arguments of recent days, it needs to be pointed out that while Cork and Shannon are both holding their own in terms of growth, as are the other smaller regional airports, Dublin is handling significantly more passengers in a month than are handled all year at the other airports. That level of differentiation does have implications for how the airport operates.

While things have improved some in recent years, as far as I am concerned, the days when Aer Rianta were in control were days that are better forgotten, as the manner in which things developed were not good, as a semi state, positions at a management level were seen as a good reward for people who had served the political system well, with the result that too often, the people making the decisions had very little or no knowledge or understanding of the aviation industry, which resulted in some very strange decisions about facilities and development of the airport.

The glaring example of this has to have been the decision to limit the length of runway 10/28 because of the pressures from the Shannon lobby, and that has had consequences for several operators, and is still a factor now on some occasions, especially for freight operations. In the same vein, public transport access to the airport is still woeful, and the longer that situation continues, the more I wonder if there is pressure from DAA to limit public transport access, as DAA derives significant revenue from the car parking operation, and from the access fees charged to bus operators and taxi services. I suspect it would be harder to generate revenue from a rail service if one were to eventually be built.

Just to clarify things, I've used Dublin Airport as a pilot (light aircraft back in the days when they were welcome), a passenger on long medium and short haul, and I worked there for a number of years airside, so my comments are based very much on experience, and one of my family is a senior executive for one of the largest car hire companies, so I have a good feedback on some of the issues that affect the airports, as they have branches at most of them, as well as other towns.

The new runway is urgent, both for capacity and to enable essential maintenance on the existing 10/28, which is starting to show it's age.

New and improved freight facilities are becoming an issue, the costs for freight operators of moving aircraft to remote parking to free up stands is significant, and the restrictions on the apron to facilitate Ethiopian operations means that access to some of the stands on the west apron are limited or completely blocked at times when they could otherwise be used for freight operations.

More parking in general, especially to facilitate T2 operations is becoming an increasing issue, the number of long haul wide body aircraft is increasing, and they cannot be turned in 25 minutes in the way that a short haul 737 can, so the occupancy of stands at T2 is problematic.

The layout of the T1 departure road is a shambles, between the way the lanes are organised, and the pedestrian crossing from the multi storey car park, that area is an accident waiting to happen, made worse by the number of vehicles that are not dropping people off that are randomly scattered around the place. Ideally, the pedestrians should be segregated out of the mix, and even better, the centre lane of the 3 would become the through lane, with the left and right hand lanes being used to access the pavement areas to drop off passengers. Another option would be to have a drop off and collect area at one (or more) of the long term car parks, with passengers being allowed to use the car park buses to get to and from those points.

I'm sure there are other areas that could be improved, for older or infirm passengers, and families with small children, the security scanning can be problematic, the main issue being keeping track of all the things that have been put through the screening system, and then getting things like shoes and belts back on, as there is a distinct lack of accessible seating close to the screening channels.

Dublin is not bad as such, but based on other places, it could improve, and that is hopefully something that pressure from users can bring about, and discussing the issues in a thread like this can only help that process.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

In regards to on site car rental. I agree that in an ideal world the rental cars would be located a short walk from the terminal. Indeed I rented a car in Lisbon a short while back and its rental cars are located a short walk from the terminal but my goodness what an absolute shambles! Upon returning the car I was greeted with a massive queue of rental cars all trying to get into the multi story car park. It took me 30 minutes and that's not exaggerating just to reach the hertz drop off zone as there where multiple cars blocking other people. Luckily I arrived with lots of time to spare. But you could see so many people rushing and panicking.
    My point is would Dublin not face similar problems at peak times if all the rental cars were arriving to the multistories? That would be much worse in my opinion but hey, at least it'll be a short walk after you've dropped the car off. ;)

Ive done car hire in Alicante and Rome over the last 3 years and both times it involved a 15 minute shuttle bus to the actual car pool.

Anyone got experience of US airports? Never hired a car there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

MCO - on site

LAX - short shuttle ride

In UK, LGW on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Ive done car hire in Alicante and Rome over the last 3 years and both times it involved a 15 minute shuttle bus to the actual car pool.

DFW: there's a common shuttle bus to the car rental space - all travellers use it. Very efficient system.

And the car rental place is on Car Rental Boulevard, Dalls Forth Worth - dead handy to satnav back to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

SFO is a shuttle (driverless train) away. But, what matters overall is the transit time rather than the mode, particularly when returning the car. Those times are pretty quick in major US airports. When returning, you can get out of the car and be at the checkin desk in less than five minutes. I've never rented a car at Dublin. But, I do wonder how efficient it is.

Not sure if it has improved, but the signage for returning car rentals used to be very poor.

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    ...... But, what matters overall is the transit time rather than the mode, particularly when returning the car. .....

Not sure if it has improved, but the signage for returning car rentals used to be very poor.
    I agree, time not distance is the factor that I think matters.

As for Dublin....Ive always hated the signage. Why or why are signs so small?
    At least in T2 they have recently installed those large "flight connections/baggage collections" signs for arriving passengers on the upper level.

Advertisement