Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 anto225

If you want an example of an airport where car hire works properly then go to Frankfurt Main Terminal 2. In fact everything works quite well even though it was built in a very space restricted plot. They chose to dig down for parking leaving the space above free for set down and pick up so the traffic above ground flows more freely.
    There is a multi-storey car park below ground and the hire cars are kept and prepared there. There is also short stay parking below ground.

There is no long walk to the car hire booths as you must pass them as you arrive in the arrivals hall, you then go to the elevators and descend to the car hire levels in the multi-storey car park. You emerge from the car park and are almost instantly on to motorway.

Thinking about it Dublin Terminal 2 is not so far removed from a similar setup except the car parks are not below ground but the Hire Car companies don't use it that way for the majority of their Customers. Can we blame Dublin Airport for anything here except not forcing the Hire Companies to use the facilities as intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Tenger wrote: »
    Ive done car hire in Alicante and Rome over the last 3 years and both times it involved a 15 minute shuttle bus to the actual car pool.

Anyone got experience of US airports? Never hired a car there myself.

JFK, BOS, MIA, LAX all have central areas some using shuttle trains and some using shuttle buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Car Rental at AGP is very well situated, with nearly all the well know companies having their check-in desks located directly underneath the T2 baggage hall. Which is accessed by a very broad and gently sloping ramp. The main car compound which also contains one or two other check-in offices is located less than 100 metres from main car rental check-in hall, in the adjacent underground car park.

Returns, are to the same under ground car park area with excellent sign posting and elevators then taking you to within 200 metres of the Airline Departure check-in desks and 600 metres of the Security/Boarding check area.

I am aware that a number of locally owned car rental companies operate shuttles to off-site areas, however I have never used them.

I'm afraid I can't assist on current US locations.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Car Rental at AGP is very well situated, with nearly all the well know companies having their check-in desks located directly underneath the T2 baggage hall. Which is accessed by a very broad and gently sloping ramp. The main car compound which also contains one or two other check-in offices is located less than 100 metres from main car rental check-in hall, in the adjacent underground car park.

Returns, are to the same under ground car park area with excellent sign posting and elevators then taking you to within 200 metres of the Airline Departure check-in desks and 600 metres of the Security/Boarding check area.

I am aware that a number of locally owned car rental companies operate shuttles to off-site areas, however I have never used them.

I'm afraid I can't assist on current US locations.
    Hasn't AGP changed in the last couple of years since they built the new terminal - it's still on site but in a more distant multi storey above ground. At least that was my experience in May. I used to find it great arriving there and one of the party heading on to register for the cars while others waited for the bag.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Hasn't AGP changed in the last couple of years since they built the new terminal - it's still on site but in a more distant multi storey above ground. At least that was my experience in May. I used to find it great arriving there and one of the party heading on to register for the cars while others waited for the bag.

I visited there 2 weeks ago and all the "usual suspects" Hertz, Goldcar, Thrifty, etc, are located in the same place that have been in for the last 15 years.
    Out of curiosity, which company did you use?

• Advertisement

No, I visited there 2 weeks ago and all the usual suspects are located in the same place for the last 15 years.
    Out of curiosity, which company did you use?

Avis but I was dropping off; I had collected in Madrid. The terminal was completely different to my last trip to AGP and the drop off was in a completely new or newly skinned car park maybe 4 floors up.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Avis but I was dropping off; I had collected in Madrid. The terminal was completely different to my last trip to AGP and the drop off was in a completely new or newly skinned car park maybe 4 floors up.

That would explain it, as space is quite limited in the basement of the multi story at T2 in AGP, only customers originating from AGP use the original hall and car pick up and returns area.

Yes, I agree there has been massive developments in AGP with new approach roads, car parks, railway station, etc, in recent years. It would be interesting to know if they will ever use the parallel runway built about 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Back to thread, anyone have any photos of the planes for the 200 gates where the work is currently going on at?
    Also still lots of work going on just at the bottom of the runway and beside terminal 2, is this a new cargo area or for storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

That would explain it, as space is quite limited in the basement of the multi story at T2 in AGP, only customers originating from AGP use the original hall and car pick up and returns area.

Yes, I agree there has been massive developments in AGP with new approach roads, car parks, railway station, etc, in recent years. It would be interesting to know if they will ever use the parallel runway built about 4 years ago.

Second runway is used a little in summer.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Second runway is used a little in summer.
    Yes, apparantly AGP only use both runway at weekends only between mid July and the end of August along with the last two weekends in Sept, in 2014/15.

I has also been reported in a number of local English language newspapers that outside of these times there is no policy to open the newer runway if the main runway had to close for weather related issues, with flights having been previously diverted to nearby airports.
    http://www.euroweeklynews.com/3.0.15/news/on-euro-weekly-news/costa-del-sol-malaga/132960-malaga-airport-criticised-for-not-using-second-runway

http://www.surinenglish.com/20151009/news/costasol-malaga/calls-open-malaga-airport-201510091048.html

It simply amazing the amount of infrastructure that is in place at AGP and is so under-utilised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I has also been reported in a number of local English language newspapers that outside of these times there is no policy to open the newer runway if the main runway had to close for weather related issues, with flights having been previously diverted to nearby airports.

What weather related issues would affect one runway but not the other, when both runways are almost parallel?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    What weather related issues would affect one runway but not the other, when both runways are almost parallel?

In September of last year during a period of exceptional heavy rain at AGP, eastern sections of RWY 31/13 along with a section of apron where the Executive Jets are parked was severely flooded and became unusable. During this time RWY 30/12 remained completely serviceable, yet it remained closed with 5 flights been diverted to nearby GRX and SVQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9dsJdFQ2XhU

In 2014 RWY 31/13 had to be closed due to a becon going off line and again RWY 30/12 remained serviceable but closed with flights diverted and delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

In September of last year during a period of exceptional heavy rain at AGP, eastern sections of RWY 31/13 along a section of apron where the Executive Jets are parked was severely flooded and became unusable. During this time RWY 30/12 remained completely serviceable, yet it remained closed with 5 flights been diverted to nearby GRX and SVQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9dsJdFQ2XhU

In 2014 RWY 31/13 had to be closed due to a becon going off line and again RWY 30/12 remained serviceable but closed with flight diverted and delayed.

Sorry to stay off topic here but why would both runways be built tona slightly different direction. I know it's only 1 degree but it's unusual right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

medoc wrote: »
    Sorry to stay off topic here but why would both runways be built tona slightly different direction. I know it's only 1 degree but it's unusual right?

It's ten degrees' difference. Possibly terrain/topographical reasons for the difference in alignment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

medoc wrote: »

Ive heard before that they do it to make it easier for pilots to distinguish between runways, to prevent errors such as land on the L or R one accidentally.

In theory, for departures, if the direction of takeoff is correct, on the diverging departure, you could run both runways simultaneously. In practice though I don't know if they do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Dardania wrote: »
    Ive heard before that they do it to make it easier for pilots to distinguish between runways, to prevent errors such as land on the L or R one accidentally.

In theory, for departures, if the direction of takeoff is correct, on the diverging departure, you could run both runways simultaneously. In practice though I don't know if they do...

Check out the approach plates for Atlanta and its 5 parallel runways.

Not sure what distance is planned between the two future parallel runways but if it exceeds a certain value, which off the top of my head is approx 700m I believe they can then operate dual simultaneous approaches to both runways. Brussels has a similar set up to what Dublin will have in the future. Not a like for like comparison of course but interesting none the less.

EchoIndia wrote: »
    It's ten degrees' difference. Possibly terrain/topographical reasons for the difference in alignment?

Oops yes 10 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

These baby's are waiting to pull into Dublin airport this am for a photo shoot, purchased bye the DAA as part of the new runway construction

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

A photo shot of high intensity portable lights? Seems odd.
    These allow them to continue work after dusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Tenger wrote: »
    A photo shot of high intensity portable lights? Seems odd.
    These allow them to continue work after dusk.

Yep, lads delivering them were just here filing up, with the photographer before heading across to the airport for the photoshoot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

These are also used in certain otherwise unlit aircraft parking areas, such as the old runway 11/29.

The DAA are to go ahead with the new hotel between T2 and the multi-storey car park. Prime location and a great addition to the airport. Hopefully it won't affect the integration of the planned metro north.... If it ever arrives

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/ireland-s-fourth-largest-hotel-planned-for-dublin-airport-1.2845392

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

DAA terminal 2 Airport Hotel will commence building in October 2017.

T2 Hotel

402 Bedrooms
    will be completed in 2019.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »

T2 Hotel

402 Bedrooms

Now if they put a decent observation area with a bar on the top floor it could be absolute heaven :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

rameire wrote: »

T2 Hotel

402 Bedrooms

looks like a crappy office block in some crappy part of outer London, while at the same time destroying the aesthetics of T2.

Now if they put a decent observation area with a bar on the top floor it could be absolute heaven :D

no doubt it will be just low enough so as not to provide any decent viewing area.

no doubt it will be just low enough so as not to provide any decent viewing area.

One can always dream :)

I'd love it, the airport is screaming out for decent viewing areas, both before & after security!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

looks like a crappy office block in some crappy part of outer London, while at the same time destroying the aesthetics of T2.
    It's a bit strange looking, just stuck there, though the picture is a bit misleading. It is definitely located over the other side of the access road and it looks like it has planning permission already. You have to hand it to DAA though. They aren't sitting around waiting to see what other airports get up to. Directly connected hotels are a good selling point for an airport. Doubt it includes a public viewing area though ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

One can always dream :)
    I'd love it, the airport is screaming out for decent viewing areas, both before & after security!

I doubt you will see anything of interest from there - while it is 11 storeys T2 isn't particularly low so the best you may get would be a view of the runway from a good distance away.

the best hotel in Dublin at the moment for what you are looking for it the Carlton, and particulary the Cloud Suite and associated balcony.

Advertisement