Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

I doubt you will see anything of interest from there - while it is 11 storeys T2 isn't particularly low so the best you may get would be a view of the runway from a good distance away.

the best hotel in Dublin at the moment for what you are looking for it the Carlton, and particulary the Cloud Suite and associated balcony.

Look north not south, New runway!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

plodder wrote: »
    Directly connected hotels are a good selling point for an airport.

They are indeed, I just hope its of a high enough standard.

I stayed at the Sofitel hotels at Gatwick & Athens, and they were both stunning hotels,
    being able to wake up, shower, have breakfast and only be 3-4 minutes walk from your check in desk is fantastic.

I know the hotel at Dublin will be very busy, I'll most likely never stay there, but I hope they do it right, and put a bit of style into it (certainly inside, whatever about it being an eyesore from the outside).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

They are indeed, I just hope its of a high enough standard.

I stayed at the Sofitel hotels at Gatwick & Athens, and they were both stunning hotels,
    being able to wake up, shower, have breakfast and only be 3-4 minutes walk from your check in desk is fantastic.

I know the hotel at Dublin will be very busy, I'll most likely never stay there, but I hope they do it right, and put a bit of style into it (certainly inside, whatever about it being an eyesore from the outside).

The Sofitel at Gatwick is fairly grim, it's rebadged from a Hikton. The Heathrow at5 Sofitel on the other hand is great. I don't think there's a market for a true 5 star at Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

looks like a crappy office block in some crappy part of outer London, while at the same time destroying the aesthetics of T2.

that's the car park..

the hotel will be in Clongriffin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

lawred2 wrote: »
    that's the car park..

the hotel will be in Clongriffin

Did you read the article at all? The hotel is being built in between the carpark and T2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

402 hotel rooms will be a very welcome addition to the Dublin Hotel market, not just to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Did you read the article at all? The hotel is being built in between the carpark and T2.

oh come on

it. was. a. joke.

you know - because half assed is usually how things get done around here.

but whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Marcusm wrote: »
    The Sofitel at Gatwick is fairly grim, it's rebadged from a Hikton. The Heathrow at5 Sofitel on the other hand is great. I don't think there's a market for a true 5 star at Dublin airport.

it was 10 years ago for me, and the room was lovely with an excellent view of airside ops, which may have clouded my judgment of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

New 7 story 144 bed hotel planned for the Radisson car park also (F16A/0446).

Pretty sure there were previous hotels applied for in the same car park over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

this is great news. Often when getting a red eye flight, I check the rates the evening before I am due to fly, to see if it makes sense to stay at the airport, usually I cant justify it, as I live a 20min drive from the airport with no traffic.

There are only two true airport hotels at the moment, the others call themselves airport hotels and that is fair enough. But they are charging the same amount or near to it, as the ones actually located in dublin airport. What is the point in staying in them, if you need to use the airport and actually are reliant on a car or their shuttle again. Thats what appeals to me about actual airport hotels, you simply get up and walk, you know exactly how long it will take or in the case of the new hotel, you barely have to walk and will be under cover...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

lawred2 wrote: »
    oh come on

it. was. a. joke.

you know - because half assed is usually how things get done around here.

but whatever

In keeping with that theme your joke was rather half-assed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

rameire wrote: »
    DAA terminal 2 Airport Hotel will commence building in October 2017.

T2 Hotel

402 Bedrooms
    will be completed in 2019.

Hope it has a good runway view ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

I can't find a planning reference for the T2 hotel. Anyone know what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

plodder wrote: »
    I can't find a planning reference for the T2 hotel. Anyone know what it is?

SID/01/08

Extension applied for in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Would be nice if they could replace the box at roof level with something more sweeping to match T2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

What's happening with the A380 gates?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Shannon757 wrote: »
    What's happening with the A380 gates?

Nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Nothing!

Are they going to happen at all?

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Are they going to happen at all?

Probably but IMO EK may not bring A380 until new runway is operational. Just so much work required for it and with the airport getting busier EK won't help things with an A380.

I wouldn't even rule out EK moving to T1 in future (esp if they want third daily at some point) but the daa would have a lot of work to get them to agree. That is if they don't add a pier to T2.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

They must be getting very tight for contact stands now during certain periods of the day, how long before the issue starts to affect new services?

• Advertisement

davebuck wrote: »
    They must be getting very tight for contact stands now during certain periods of the day, how long before the issue starts to affect new services?

At B 9-12 mainly a problem with some carriers been down at D as a result. 2017 will see some re timing which should help and A will be a more usable area for some carriers again.

I don't really think it's a barrier to new services, nor will it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

"Passenger numbers @DublinAirport are up 12% to more than 21.4 million passengers for the first nine months of 2016."

Should mean at least 28 million for the year something will have to be done quickly about the capacity contraints and lack of a rail link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

RYR applied for more new routes from DUB for 2017 with additional aircraft on top of what they had for summer 2016 but DAA refused due to space constraints.

billie1b wrote: »

RYR applied for more new routes from DUB for 2017 with additional aircraft on top of what they had for summer 2016 but DAA refused due to space constraints.

The row is over fees for every additional passenger year on year is paid back to the airline the following year....they have had it in place for 5 years.

So far 8 carriers have increasing capacity for 2017.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Should mean at least 28 million for the year something will have to be done quickly about the capacity contraints and lack of a rail link
    Overall airport campus can handle those numbers. As for something being done quickly about a rail link? Ha ha, welcome to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

The row is over fees for every additional passenger year on year is paid back to the airline the following year....they have had it in place for 5 years.

Sorry, I forgot you know everything, you're as bad as the other two.
    Have a good one

Have a good one

Not at all, daa just wouldn't turn down business it it paid them enough....anyway based aircraft are not needed to increase traffic!

All it would take is a good deal offered to FR to grow in 2017!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Have a good one

Respectfully billie, you do know lots of information and are of alot of value to discussion, but like everyone here, you're not always right.

Its getting more toxic by the day on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Originally Posted by Mebuntu viewpost.gif
    I don't think the lack of rail access has a significant (or, indeed, any) bearing on the number of passengers into or out of DUB. Yes, we'd all love to have it but...........

If you look at the area in Google Earth you can see that the (much) cheaper and easiest rail option would be an overland spur East across that vast green area to the main rail line south of Portmarnock Station without knocking down a single house. That line would lead right into the city centre at Connolly [for Luas (soon to be two Luases connected)], Busarus, to Heuston and anywhere else you wanted to go. Of course, the spur line would have no intermediate stations as there's no other population to serve along the way but people living in Swords and district would find it very handy to use as well as airport passengers/employees/crews etc.

I didn't want to continue this in that other Ryanair thread where it doesn't belong.
    The Northern Line does not have the capacity to spare to operate a service to the airport at even vaguely useful frequencies.
    Always the negative waves. Where there's a will there's a way. DUB wouldn't need that high a frequency anyway.

That spur would create a journey that takes too long
    It's just over 15 minutes from Portmarnock to Connolly. The direct non-stop spur would take about 10 minutes max so a total of about 25mins. I don't think that's too long. STN is 47 mins. LGW (on the odd day it runs when Southern are not on strike) is 30 mins. LHR Tube is 50 mins. The LHR Express is 15 mins but only gets you as far as PAD.

• Advertisement

A rail link to the N Line would be a complete disaster, the current services is one big and even growing mess. A high capacity rail link is needed and that is via Metro or some other form of link into the city center.
    It's just over 15 minutes from Portmarnock to Connolly. The direct non-stop spur would take about 10 minutes max so a total of about 25mins. I don't think that's too long. STN is 47 mins. LGW (on the odd day it runs when Southern are not on strike) is 30 mins. LHR Tube is 50 mins. The LHR Express is 15 mins but only gets you as far as PAD.

Clongriffin to Connolly is 17 minutes on average with that increasing to 19 minutes next year. Add another x4 services ex the Airport into Connolly and you are adding another 3-4 minutes plus the 10-12 minutes between Clongriffin & Airport.

Remember London airports are double/triple the distance from city center than here in Dublin.

Advertisement