Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Some airlines will only use 10/28 anyway, and won't use 16/34 for various reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Some airlines will only use 10/28 anyway, and won't use 16/34 for various reasons.

what are some of the reasons? I assume length being one? ILS another?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

what are some of the reasons? I assume length being one? ILS another?

I know for both EY and EK, 16/34 is Captain only approach.

I remember being told of an EY Captain after his first landing on 16 saying its the only runway hes ever seen that "wider than it is long". Also remember that when 16/34 is being used, its normally because of gusty weather so you have a short runway (with I believe no center line lights) windy conditions and a very big airplane. Its not a situation to be messed with!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

16 is Cat 1,

I thought it was CAT II or am I wrong?

Edit: I'm wrong.

http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/Published%20Files/AIP%20Files/AD/Chart%20Files/EIDW/EI_AD_2_EIDW_24-29_en.pdf

34 is even worse though, isn't it?

• Advertisement

In what sence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭monkey lover

In work so can't tune in to ATC, but possibly runway not back open on time this morning?

In work so can't tune in to ATC, but possibly runway not back open on time this morning?

That looks like they were coming in on a standard approach and pulled out of it around Howth, so pretty much on final, surely that's non runway related?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

JCX BXC wrote: »
    In what sence?

No ILS?

Bussywussy wrote: »
    No ILS?

Yeah, none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Bsal

Runway 34 isn't as bad anymore now that it has an RNAV approach.

They should use it more often then, especially when I'm on the plane :(

They should use it more often then, especially when I'm on the plane :(

Landing on RWY34 involves an approach over heavily populated areas, I often see complaining on Facebook and even here on after hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Landing on RWY34 involves an approach over heavily populated areas, I often see complaining on Facebook and even here on after hours!

They should use 34 more often, as the approach is OVER my house, south of Killiney. I can tell the difference between an Airbus and a Boeing without ever seeing the aircraft.

Exactly, thats why I want to land on 34, preferably during the day when I'm in an 'A' seat with a good view and my camera to hand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Yes, let's not upset the good denizens of Facebook :p

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Yes, let's not upset the good denizens of Facebook :p

There's people asking why don't Dublin reduce night time flights because of the possible disruption!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

There's people asking why don't Dublin reduce night time flights because of the possible disruption!

Those people would want to join the real world. Or move into my house, that was nice and quiet untill they built ELEVEN lanes worth of m50 and sliproads 30ft from my house.... But still you don't hear me complaining because the world doesn't just revolve around me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

jimbis wrote: »
    Those people would want to join the real world. Or move into my house, that was nice and quiet untill they built ELEVEN lanes worth of m50 and sliproads 30ft from my house.... But still you don't hear me complaining because the world doesn't just revolve around me. :p

M50 noisy jimbis, surely you're mistaken ;) . I recall one of the well know "experts" on this forum state that the M50 is only busy for very short periods each day. :D

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    M50 noisy jimbis, surely you're mistaken ;) . I recall one of the well know "experts" on this forum state that the M50 is only busy for very short periods each day. :D

Ah here would ya stop there's no need for these comments.

• Advertisement

I was raised in Whitethorn in Artane and the flight path if they were correctly lined up was directly over my house, not either of my neighbors, but exactly my house, that coupled with how close we were to the runway, and my room being the attic meant for some truly awesome wake ups, especially on windy days when they seemed to be a little lower.

I never complained once, and still get a kick out of 34 landings when I'm back on the old stomping ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Noxegon

They should use 34 more often, as the approach is OVER my house, south of Killiney. I can tell the difference between an Airbus and a Boeing without ever seeing the aircraft.

I rather suspect you can tell the difference between the type of engine rather than the type of plane. Just a thought.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Noxegon wrote: »
    I rather suspect you can tell the difference between the type of engine rather than the type of plane. Just a thought.

Don't Aer Lingus and Ryanair both use CFM56 engines, so you won't often hear a different engine either?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Don't Aer Lingus and Ryanair both use CFM56 engines, so you won't often hear a different engine either?

They are slightly different variants, but the biggest difference you'll hear is the distinct whistle from an A320 once the landing lights are extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Noxegon wrote: »

In the case of A320s vs 737s its very much the plane. As stated above, the main operators of both at DUB use the same engine family; and IAE 320s have the same aerodynamic induced whine as CFM ones.

Its fixable

One track on to the approach to 28 runs over my house - can usually tell what's coming in on a clear night without having to check FR24!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

They are slightly different variants, but the biggest difference you'll hear is the distinct whistle from an A320 once the landing lights are extended.

Its usually a clunky kinda metal on metal noise that distinguishes the A320 from the 737 to me, especially on take off the A320 seems to have a big metal on metal churning/clunking noise, whereas the 737 seems to have a softer whine. Its hard to explain

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

When the planes are taking off over us in Baldoyle, I can always tell whether it's an Aer Lingus or Ryanair.

And then it's easy to tell the difference between the 320s and 330s.

I'm getting better at figuring out the planes as they prepare to land.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

bit OT but how often is the other runway used at DUB? just came up on another forum about the World Cup bid for rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

salmocab wrote: »
    bit OT but how often is the other runway used at DUB? just came up on another forum about the World Cup bid for rugby.

A second runway will be open before WRC.

The use of main and cross wind is around 95 main and 5% other.

They could easily handle RWC with one runway.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    A second runway will be open before WRC.

The use of main and cross wind is around 95 main and 5% other.

They could easily handle RWC with one runway.

Open before 2023? Hopefully.

Advertisement