Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They could easily handle RWC with one runway.

Oh yeah that wasn't really the argument, as with all online debates it went off in a bit of a tangent. Cheers for the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Open before 2023? Hopefuly

Site preparation works have already commenced since the start of November, construction is scheduled to start in July 2017 but might be as early as March with the RWY scheduled to be finished around June 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Is the new higher atc tower still going ahead? There was talk of a virtual atc for a while wasn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

jimbis wrote: »
    Is the new higher atc tower still going ahead? There was talk of a virtual atc for a while wasn't there?

Yes, virtual was never going to get off the ground.

S Business Port reporting a big increase in complains about noise at DUB which have tripled in a year, strangely it all started from April 2016, now I wonder why, can't think of anything that happened that month....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Waiting for someone to get caught complaining about a non existent flight like the London protesters did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

L1011 wrote: »
    Waiting for someone to get caught complaining about a non existent flight like the London protesters did.

With 34 in use at the moment and the Dublin 18 area just after getting a big smack of thunder you might not be waiting long for that to happen :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm curious, why is it that 34 seems so much more noisy from my area, Cabra, than the regular runway? Is it just some sort of natural geographic quirk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm curious, why is it that 34 seems so much more noisy from my area, Cabra, than the regular runway? Is it just some sort of natural geographic quirk?

If your in Cabra the prevailing winds would be blowing noise away from you when 28 is in use, when 34 is in use the noise is being blown kind of towards you.

This is just on a basic level and wind direction and speed will have a large degree of impact. Which I haven't accounted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Now that we are approaching the 28 million passengers level. Does anyone know the percentage breakdown between T1 and T2. I mostly use T1 at various times and occasionally T2 in the morning and both seem equally busy. However recently we had an afternoon flight from the 420 gates in T2 and it was practically empty.

• Advertisement

medoc wrote: »
    Now that we are approaching the 28 million passengers level. Does anyone know the percentage breakdown between T1 and T2. I mostly use T1 at various times and occasionally T2 in the morning and both seem equally busy. However recently we had an afternoon flight from the 420 gates in T2 and it was practically empty.

400 gates in afternoon upstairs will be empty but down stairs will be busy with US passengers, only after 4.30-7.00 when it gets busy again with evening services.

Would estimate it's pretty close but T1 will be slightly higher numbers. Somewhere between a 55-60% (T1) to 40-45% (T2).

400 gates in afternoon upstairs will be empty but down stairs will be busy with US passengers, only after 4.30-7.00 when it gets busy again with evening services.

Would estimate it's pretty close but T1 will be slightly higher numbers. Somewhere between a 55-60% (T1) to 40-45% (T2).

Yes the US area is always busy when I'm going through. But I was surprised st the empty 420 gates area mid afternoon. Never noticed the 100 gates as quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Yes the US area is always busy when I'm going through. But I was surprised st the empty 420 gates area mid afternoon. Never noticed the 100 gates as quiet.

Bear in mind that Ryanair serve Dublin using aircraft from many of their bases aside from just the Dublin based aircraft.

Aer Lingus only serve Dublin using the fleet based in Dublin (apart from two overnight in Heathrow).

That means that Aer Lingus flights will be more spaced out throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

When I was going through DUB (T1 - 100 gates) recently at about 11.30am I noticed there were no less than 7 x EI aircraft parked up on the north side of the pier - 5 on 11/29 and 2 at the top of the pier. All bar one were short haul and there was also one ATR so that may partially explain why T2 was empty.

Mebuntu wrote: »
    When I was going through DUB (T1 - 100 gates) recently at about 11.30am I noticed there were no less than 7 x EI aircraft parked up on the north side of the pier - 5 on 11/29 and 2 at the top of the pier. All bar one were short haul and there was also one ATR so that may partially explain why T2 was empty.

EI park up some short haul aircraft over winter season, 6-7 sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

EI park up some short haul aircraft over winter season, 6-7 sounds about right.

And not just them. MOst airlines do and use the time to do any heavy maintenance etc that is required

lxflyer wrote: »
    Bear in mind that Ryanair serve Dublin using aircraft from many of their bases aside from just the Dublin based aircraft.

Aer Lingus only serve Dublin using the fleet based in Dublin (apart from two overnight in Heathrow).

That means that Aer Lingus flights will be more spaced out throughout the day.

A very good point that hadn't occurred to me till you mentioned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Dublin Airport is one of the biggest in Europe, you need to have a serious rethink if you think a Boeing 737 that may or may not run a route from Cork is going to break any kind of "monopoly".

Dublin isn't even competing with Cork or Shannon at this stage, it's competing with Heathrow, Frankfurt, Amsterdam and Paris. Cork and Shannon will be fighting it out for the remaining traffic.

What? Are you serious? :) Dublin doesn't compete with these cities on anything let alone airport passengers! Heathrow carries 75 million passengers a year, Frankfurt 61 million, Amsterdam 58 million and Paris CDG 66 million.
    Dublin carries 25 million so it's competing with the likes of Manchester, Oslo and Copenhagen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Dublin will carry 28,000,000 this year and is growing a lot quicker than those airports... 
    To be fair, Dublin isn't in the conversation with the major European Airports (Heathrow, CDG, Frankfurt and Amsterdam) and is unlikely to ever be in that tier given the population and transport constraints. In the next few years it could join the likes of Rome, Madrid and Gatwick in the level below.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'm not sure Dublin can't move up into "lower Tier 1" over the next couple of decades. Ireland is geographically very well placed to act as a transatlantic hub. Rome will not attract too many passengers from northern Europe looking to go to North America.

Dublin "needs" air routes to the (UK) and Europe that (Heathrow)/CDG/Schipol don't, because they have better land based transport options. Airlines don't generally want to share the revenue with the rail operator, so they will prefer routing passengers from say Berlin to Frankfurt by air rather than letting the passenger get to Frankfurt on their own on the train. Dublin needs the air route to Berlin "anyway" as you can't make that trip by land, so you are sort of using your domestic reliance on short haul air transport (because we're an island) to funnel pax through Dublin and on to North America. It's a really nice business model if you ask me.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    I'm not sure Dublin can't move up into "lower Tier 1" over the next couple of decades. Ireland is geographically very well placed to act as a transatlantic hub. Rome will not attract too many passengers from northern Europe looking to go to North America.

Dublin "needs" air routes to the (UK) and Europe that (Heathrow)/CDG/Schipol don't, because they have better land based transport options. Airlines don't generally want to share the revenue with the rail operator, so they will prefer routing passengers from say Berlin to Frankfurt by air rather than letting the passenger get to Frankfurt on their own on the train. Dublin needs the air route to Berlin "anyway" as you can't make that trip by land, so you are sort of using your domestic reliance on short haul air transport (because we're an island) to funnel pax through Dublin and on to North America. It's a really nice business model if you ask me.
    Dublin only has a capacity of 35 million, To even get to the current level of Rome and Gatwick (40 million), Dublin airport would need to expand or face unbelievable congestion. Schiphol, at the lower end of Tier 1 is going to move over 60 million this year. Getting to that level would require at least doubling the size of the airport. 

The transport links for Dublin are the worst of any large European airport, among the 30 busiest last year Dublin was by far the biggest without a rail link, Majorca was the only airport that came close but as a holiday destination it is obviously a different situation. The only other airports in the top 30 without a rail link were Berlin (20 million) which is being replaced by a new airport with a rail link next year and Prague which only moved 12 million last year.

To get Dublin airport to the next level will take enormous infrastructural development, with at least one more terminal and a heavy rail link to the city. Realistically, if it is going to be the hub you describe, rail links directly to other parts of the country should be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Dublin only has a capacity of 35 million, To even get to the current level of Rome and Gatwick (40 million), Dublin airport would need to expand or face unbelievable congestion. Schiphol, at the lower end of Tier 1 is going to move over 60 million this year. Getting to that level would require at least doubling the size of the airport
    I read a DAA report a while back, that said with extensions, the 2 current terminals could handle about 50,000,000 a year...

When there is a new runway, that should see another jump in growth...

in terms of "Tiers" officially Dublin is a Tier 1 airport, anything over 25,000,000 is...

Dublin only has a capacity of 35 million, To even get to the current level of Rome and Gatwick (40 million), Dublin airport would need to expand or face unbelievable congestion. Schiphol, at the lower end of Tier 1 is going to move over 60 million this year. Getting to that level would require at least doubling the size of the airport
    I read a DAA report a while back, that said with extensions, the 2 current terminals could handle about 50,000,000 a year...

So ya, Dublin airport would need to expand to get to the Gatwick level and would need to build a new Terminal to get to the Schiphol level.

They can handle more than 35 milion plenty of terminal capacity and outside peak hours lots of slack. The like of LGW which you refer to are packed all day not just for 4-5 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

in terms of "Tiers" officially Dublin is a Tier 1 airport, anything over 25,000,000 is...

According to who? The DAA? :)
    Dublin airport is only tier 1 in one context....Ireland

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

zetalambda wrote: »
    According to who? The DAA? :)
    Dublin airport is only tier 1 in one context....Ireland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_busiest_airports_in_Europe

You might find this worth a quick read, there is only one airport above Dublin in growth terms in the top 20, and that's because the new airport for Istanbul is not ready to open yet, and Ataturk can't take any more movements, and that's for a country that only has 7 million passport holders.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

They can handle more than 35 milion plenty of terminal capacity and outside peak hours lots of slack.  The like of LGW which you refer to are packed all day not just for 4-5 hours.
    So Dublin doesn't need to expand or add infrastructure if it is going to handle 40 million pax a year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

snotboogie wrote: »
    So Dublin doesn't need to expand or add infrastructure if it is going to handle 40 million pax a year?

It's already adding a second runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

it makes sense.
    Sure Munich T2 is not all that dissimilar to Dublin T2 and it has a capacity of 37million a year

The one difference is that Munich has WAY more gates, and have added to that by building a satelite, i.e. essentially a new terminal BUT it hasnt its own security or baggage reclaim, rather just leeches off the existing T2. Access is by a small underground driverless shuttle.

So its really behind security that the additions are needed to accomodate passengers awaiting flights, rather than security/ checkin itsself being the logjam, and Dublin indeed has plans for these new gates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

it makes sense.
    Sure Munich T2 is not all that dissimilar to Dublin T2 and it has a capacity of 37million a year

The one difference is that Munich has WAY more gates, and have added to that by building a satelite, i.e. essentially a new terminal BUT it hasnt its own security or baggage reclaim, rather just leeches off the existing T2. Access is by a small underground driverless shuttle.

So its really behind security that the additions are needed to accomodate passengers awaiting flights, rather than security/ checkin itsself being the logjam, and Dublin indeed has plans for these new gates

I have seen versions of these plans. Is there anything imminent?

Advertisement