Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Shannon Control

medoc wrote: »
    Is that the actual existing tower showing in front of the new tower? Some difference in scale. I'm glad they have put a bit of thought into the new tower design. Something that stands out. The tower at Edinburgh has become a symbol for the entire airport for example.

Indeed, a nice tower can really stand out. That's both towers to scale, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Indeed, a nice tower can really stand out. That's both towers to scale, yes.

Cool. Thanks. Exciting times ahead at the airport both land side and air side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

With regards to viewing areas. I've seen its confirmed that there will be a car park viewing area along side the north runway near keelings. No raised mound or viewing decks though.
    A nice challenge for all you photographers now that you will be facing the sun (when it comes out).

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Does anyone have any update on the main runway refurbishment progress. Have the started relaying sections yet or are they still on prep work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

jimbis wrote: »
    With regards to viewing areas. I've seen its confirmed that there will be a car park viewing area along side the north runway near keelings. No raised mound or viewing decks though.
    A nice challenge for all you photographers now that you will be facing the sun (when it comes out).

Photographers will use spots that offer generally unobstructed views and where the sun is likely to be behind them. Only early or late on longer summer days would a northside location meet these criteria so I doubt you'd see many serious photographers there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

An EI A330 hit its wingtip off H3 today.... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭shamrocka330

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    An EI A330 hit its wingtip off H3 today.... lol

Why is that funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Negative_G

EchoIndia wrote: »
    I doubt you'd see many serious photographers there.

Whats a "serious' photographer out of interest?

Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Negative_G wrote: »

Genuine question.

A serious photographer is some who never smiles and has a constant frown. For the simple reason if their wife/partner ever finds out how much they have spend on cameras, lenses and other gear they know they are going to be "murdered"!

Genuine response :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Negative_G wrote: »

Genuine question.

Someone who doesn't take their aviation photos facing into the sun if they can avoid it!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Why is that funny?

Just making enlightenment out of it, it only tipped it AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

2016 saw 27.9 million use the airport up 11%.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Safe to say it will top 30,000,000 this year imo. Barring any major global disasters...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Safe to say it will top 30,000,000 this year imo. Barring any major global disasters...

Beyond than the one scheduled for Jan 20th, you mean?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Noxegon wrote: »
    Beyond than the one scheduled for Jan 20th, you mean?

He'll probably be great news for airports in countries that aren't the USA tbf

I was only joking, about people wanting to run away from the US as fast as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

Have they started the actual groundworks for the runway yet. Has anyway pictures of any works done yet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Rojomur wrote: »
    Have they started the actual groundworks for the runway yet. Has anyway pictures of any works done yet?

No. There'll be 8 months or prep work which started in December. There are roads in the way that have to be rerouted, a whole new airport perimeter will have to be constructed on that side, services will have to be diverted and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Is there a plan to view for the new road layout? Please excuse my ignorance if already asked or posted

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Is there a plan to view for the new road layout? Please excuse my ignorance if already asked or posted

I'm sure there are detailed drawings in the planning application but I can't access that at the moment. There's a map in this:

https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/North-Runway-Docs/project-update---december-2016.pdf?sfvrsn=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

This here shows the new roads
    1BE6BECD-1214-4751-A921-E8FE73A07BAF_zpspvtc0u10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

More info on roads in this doc

https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/North-Runway-Docs/plans-for-roads-in-the-vicinity-of-north-runway.pdf

The figures are very poor quality and hard to make sense of unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

Just drove out of the airport past large Aerlingus hanger and theres a lot of actvity inside the fence before the naul road junction. It looks like the demolition of existing buildings has begun...or maybe digging up of old runway/internal roads.... trucks dumping loads of old building material which are being recycled just inside the fence by large diggers. A very large mound of hardcore rock piled up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Will the roads be much closer to the 10L/28R runway thresholds than the existing 10/28?

Will the roads be much closer to the 10L/28R runway thresholds than the existing 10/28?

You can see them in white on the satellite photo posted above, they look to be about the same distance as the existing roads and runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Rojomur wrote: »
    Just drove out of the airport past large Aerlingus hanger and theres a lot of actvity inside the fence before the naul road junction. It looks like the demolition of existing buildings has begun...or maybe digging up of old runway/internal roads.... trucks dumping loads of old building material which are being recycled just inside the fence by large diggers. A very large mound of hardcore rock piled up there too.

That's from the apron around the 317 stand on the yearly dig up and from where the new stands around 414 are going.they've working on new lay bys and a new internal road around the perimeter too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

I'd say the external road works have to be done before they start anything on the inside. The tie in to the St Margaret's bypass looks interesting. For people (like me) who approach from the other side of that road, traffic lights will make it easier getting onto it in the mornings. As a matter of interest, anonyone know is the Boot Inn still on the go? I think when the other runway was built that hit them hard. Will be very isolated after this is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

plodder wrote: »
    I'd say the external road works have to be done before they start anything on the inside. The tie in to the St Margaret's bypass looks interesting. For people (like me) who approach from the other side of that road, traffic lights will make it easier getting onto it in the mornings. As a matter of interest, anonyone know is the Boot Inn still on the go? I think when the other runway was built that hit them hard. Will be very isolated after this is finished.

Yes, Yee Olde Boot Inn will still be there but will be in some sort of no-mans land alright. Had a pint there with the missus a few weeks back and it was quiet enough then and won't be any better after the roads are closed. Same applies to CityJet and whatever else is located in and around there.

As an aside, the new control tower will be going up in the existing staff car park at the CityJet end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

plodder wrote: »
    More info on roads in this doc

https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/North-Runway-Docs/plans-for-roads-in-the-vicinity-of-north-runway.pdf

The figures are very poor quality and hard to make sense of unfortunately.

Pathetic quality. You'd think for a document like that they'd get proper images and not just copy, paste and expand thumbnails.

Anyway, I'll miss that mucky "parking zone" at the junction of the Boot Road and Naul Road at the threshold of R16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Looks like they could be starting the preparation works so. Flew into Dublin this morning and saw a huge fleet of construction equipment out by the remote parking stands.

Advertisement