Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Looks like they could be starting the preparation works so. Flew into Dublin this morning and saw a huge fleet of construction equipment out by the remote parking stands.

Thats all the equipment they're using for the RWY 10/28 upgrade works, the only works started on the new RWY at the moment are outside of the airport on the roads. If you take a drive around the airport perimeter on that side you'll see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

billie1b wrote: »
    Thats all the equipment they're using for the RWY 10/28 upgrade works, the only works started on the new RWY at the moment are outside of the airport on the roads. If you take a drive around the airport perimeter on that side you'll see it.

Oh, wasn't aware that they were beginning to upgrade the runway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

This work has been underway on weekend nights since September, hence use of runway 16/34 from 2300-0500 nightly.

Yeah they started it a good few weeks ago, you'll notice RWY 16/34 is in operation between midnight and 5am every night to facilitate, some nights it can come into operation earlier.
    They have begun on the RWY 10 threshold and taxi way end, if you're ever driving by at that hour of the night you'll see the place lit up like a football stadium and a convoy of diggers and trucks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Blut2

I remember vagaries being mentioned in articles a while ago, but is there an updated/accurate expected completion date for the runway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Blut2 wrote: »
    I remember vagaries being mentioned in articles a while ago, but is there an updated/accurate expected completion date for the runway?

Operational by December 2020.

Blut2 wrote: »

It's officially December 2020 but they are aiming for July '20

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭is this username available

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/daa-seek-more-time-for-new-320m-runway-project-at-dublin-airport-35381737.html

DAA have applied for extension to existing planning permission.

Plan was to lodge new planning application by the end of 2016 to remove restriction on night flights. Any idea when that will happen? Runway itself scheduled to start in April but can't see them starting it unless restrictions have been reversed.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/daa-seek-more-time-for-new-320m-runway-project-at-dublin-airport-35381737.html

DAA have applied for extension to existing planning permission.

Plan was to lodge new planning application by the end of 2016 to remove restriction on night flights. Any idea when that will happen? Runway itself scheduled to start in April but can't see them starting it unless restrictions have been reversed.

They're going ahead with the planning permission they have now and starting the build, the runway length and construction have nothing to do with the lifting of the restrictions. Whilst construction is underway they will be appealing and will be looking to get rid of the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Can we expect much of any increase in traffic when the new runway opens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Can we expect much of any increase in traffic when the new runway opens?

I'd assume so with the extra slots available for peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'd assume so with the extra slots available for peak times.

There are some restrictions with the PP limting the number of flights...

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/night-flying-dublin-airport-bosses-aim-to-challenge-flight-limits-ahead-of-new-runway-in-2020-34607490.html

Quintis wrote: »

At night time that is and before 7am, which are not peak times. Maybe 6:30am on at a push but the real peak is from 7am on.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

JCX BXC wrote: »
    At night time that is and before 7am, which are not peak times. Maybe 6:30am on at a push but the real peak is from 7am on.

There were 30+ schedulded departures between 6-7am this morning, think that is pretty much a peak-time

There were 30+ schedulded departures between 6-7am this morning, think that is pretty much a peak-time

This won't prohibit he growth though, and the DAA are working to get these restrictions removed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

But at that time they operatore dual runways so not much change with the new runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

But at that time they operatore dual runways so not much change with the new runway.

The cap is based on a single runway, dual ops have no bearing currently as an airport cannot plan based on wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Shannon Control

There are huge restrictions for this. One is wind, which has to be quite calm and from a certain direction. Visibility has to be clear. There is a cap on the number of departures permitted to use it due to noise and London FIR traffic flow restrictions. Only some aircraft can use it, ruling out a big part of the operation, and only on two certain SIDs, all only between 6 and 8 as far as I know.

Did Dual ops not operate 7-8am?

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/passenger-charges-at-dublin-airport-will-rise-to-fund-planned-320m-runway-development-35400571.html
    Airlines including Ryanair are opposed to paying more for the runway. Ryanair chief executive Michael O’Leary has criticised the overall cost of the project, and claimed that the new runway length – at 3.1km – is about 500 metres too long than what is required at Dublin Airport.

I admire O'Leary in certain ways, but christ he talks some ****e at times! The thing is though, most people wouldnt have a clue about runway lengths and would actually buy his bull****!
    The Commission for Aviation Regulation (CAR), which regulates passenger charges at Dublin Airport, said it intends to raise the permissible fee by an additional 59 cent per passenger, but will phase in the increase as runway construction progresses.

so increases at rates likely below inflation, big woop! Im sure people jetting off will some how manage to find the extra 59c :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Do you remember the racket he made about building T2, how it was a White Elephant, wasn't needed and and was far too big etc. Yet here we are in 2017 and both terminals are operating almost full, with more passengers using DUB than ever before...

Remember when people used to be outraged at his comments! Now he's a small forgotten fish in a big sea.

Still, I doubt he really thinks that, probably just free publicity.

the quicker they open that and more airlines and routes that get launched the better. Ryanair cut seat capacity from dublin. I just hope it gets to the size, where it has enough critical mass, that ryanair arent able to shut out new operators on european routes...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

JCX BXC wrote:
    Remember when people used to be outraged at his comments! Now he's a small forgotten fish in a big sea.

He might spout some BS when he's looking for PR but he runs the largest airline in European. Only an idiot or a begrudger would suggest he's a small fish.

markpb wrote: »
    He might spout some BS when he's looking for PR but he runs the largest airline in European. Only an idiot or a begrudger would suggest he's a small fish.

In the media, he is now a small fish. Which is what I meant. Don't assume I am a begrudger, I have the utmost respect for Michael O'Leary and think he is one of the best business men in Ireland. Ridiculous comment to suggest I'm a begrudger.

A few years ago, what O'Leary said was thought to be almost unthinkable, nowadays, everyone's doing it, the biggest offender being the president of the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

......best business men in Ireland.

I wouldn't necessarily put him in that category. You forget his clangers. Lucky for him he has a forgiving shareholders and board.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Locker10a wrote: »
    Do you remember the racket he made about building T2, how it was a White Elephant, wasn't needed and and was far too big etc. Yet here we are in 2017 and both terminals are operating almost full, with more passengers using DUB than ever before...

T2 is busy enough at peak times, outside of those, it's a ghost town.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

T2 is busy enough at peak times, outside of those, it's a ghost town.

Presumably that's why they're called peak times then! That's a bit like arguing the M50 only needs to be a single lane road because it's empty at 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MJohnston wrote: »
    Presumably that's why they're called peak times then! That's a bit like arguing the M50 only needs to be a single lane road because it's empty at 10pm.

I agree,

but there is still a difference of being at peak for a few hours a day and being at peak all day.

There is plenty of capacity available at T2, it just might not suit everyone. Maybe DAA need to incentivise airlines to use more off peak slots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The problem is that peak slots are peak slots because that's when people want to fly, not due to some quirk of arbitrary choices by airlines. Off-peak flights are presumably far less profitable, maybe even loss-making in some cases, so there won't ever be as many of them.

So, you can't define the capacity of an airport terminal by how much it is used over an entire day, you have to define it by how busy it is during peak hours.

Advertisement