Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

T2 is busy enough at peak times, outside of those, it's a ghost town.

That's the same with any hub really. Go to T5 in LHR at midday and you'll find its similar (not as quiet of course as BA is a lot bigger than EI, but in relative terms its also a ghost town) Same with DXB, during the mid afternoon all 3 terminals are pretty much empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I agree,

but there is still a difference of being at peak for a few hours a day and being at peak all day.

There is plenty of capacity available at T2, it just might not suit everyone. Maybe DAA need to incentivise airlines to use more off peak slots.

The only time T2 is truly quiet is between 6.30-9.00 pm. Outside of that while for example check in may be quieter US departures into the early evening take up a lot of stand space which give the impression of an under utilized terminal.

There are 942 runway slots daily however only between 700-730 are remotely suitable (exclude 01.00-05.00 etc) to the needs of airlines and passengers. Peak summer DUB handles around 620-650 (average) daily over the 6 months, in winter its 470-550. If you really looked at the slots in more depth you could easily slim that 700 figure down more.

Not all about terminal space.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The only time T2 is truly quiet is between 6.30-9.00 pm.

Yup, and the only way to push people through it during those hours are either with short flights that can be back before midnight-ish (UK destinations for the most part) or with aircraft that aren't based in Dublin that don't need to return. (That's assuming there are gate spaces and runway slots – I don't know whether there are or not.)

It would be a hard sell to try and attract non-based airlines to fly in and out of T2 with "Right lads, we'd love to have you in T2 but you have to be in and out again in the evening. No, you can't have prime time slots. Oh yeah, and both Ryanair and Aer Lingus will want to crowd you out."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Has there ever been talk of an airside transit area for T1? I'm not even sure how it would work logistically, but its quite necessary imo, especially with Etihad moving to T1 and Ryanair talking about introducing through ticketing.

Avada wrote: »
    Has there ever been talk of an airside transit area for T1? I'm not even sure how it would work logistically, but its quite necessary imo, especially with Etihad moving to T1 and Ryanair talking about introducing through ticketing.

There is a transit route in the arrivals hall of T1.

• Advertisement

There is a transit route in the arrivals hall of T1.

Its not airside though (in Immigration terms, I know it is technically) and its only open until 1pm at the latest.

Its not airside though (in Immigration terms, I know it is technically) and its only open until 1pm at the latest.

All passengers who land are legally obliged to clear immigration and I don't see that changing.

If FR and EI start feed hours will be longer.

All passengers who land are legally obliged to clear immigration and I don't see that changing.

If FR and EI start feed hours will be longer.

Erm, no they're not. Section 4 (2) of the Immigration Act 2004 only requires a non-national to present to an Immigration Officer when seeking entry to the State (applying for permission to land). Transit passengers are not seeking entry to the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

Erm, no they're not. Section 4 (2) of the Immigration Act 2004 only requires a non-national to present to an Immigration Officer when seeking entry to the State (applying for permission to land). Transit passengers are not seeking entry to the State.
    Passengers entering the CTA (connecting to UK or domestic flights) need to pass through immigration. Because there is no segregation of CTA passengers from other transit passengers, all transit passengers need to go through immigration. T2 has a separate transit immigration area for this, but T1 does not.

steve-o wrote: »
    Passengers entering the CTA (connecting to UK or domestic flights) need to pass through immigration. Because there is no segregation of CTA passengers from other transit passengers, all transit passengers need to go through immigration. T2 has a separate transit immigration area for this, but T1 does not.

I know, my question was regarding a transit area a la T2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Blut2

If Brexit puts an end to the CTA I wonder if that might simplify matters.

Blut2 wrote: »

CTA won't end, just enhanced with full API from March.

Nobody knows what effect Brexit will have on CTA at present.

Nobody knows what effect Brexit will have on CTA at present.
    It predates the EU, do you believe unionists in NI would accept border checks on the mainland and do you believe nationalists would accept a hard border and that's before you consider the dissidents up North...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Blut2

The circle will have to be squared somehow if May's claimed desire to restore Britain's borders with Europe are to be believed. Either we'll have a border between RoI and NI, or between NI and the UK. I'd lean towards the former being more likely, but nobody knows at this stage.

Any change to the CTA is probably a negative for DUB though in the short-term. With the high volumes of traffic to the UK and EI's strategy of drawing feeder passengers for their North American routes it has a lot of potential downside. Medium-term joining Schengen might be required to draw in replacement sources of PAX.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The circle will have to be squared somehow if May's claimed desire to restore Britain's borders with Europe are to be believed. Either we'll have a border between RoI and NI, or between NI and the UK. I'd lean towards the former being more likely, but nobody knows at this stage.

Given the problems of the porosity of the border from Newry to Derry when it was a supposedly hard border, I'd be more inclined to see a situation where the controls will be at the ports and airports, given that travel from "Europe" to Ireland will be very much by air or by large sea going vessel, there will be very few people coming to Ireland from Europe in small boats, due to the distances involved, and the hostile nature of the waters involved. There is likely to be a very hostile reaction to a hard border with the 6 counties, for political and trade reasons
    Any change to the CTA is probably a negative for DUB though in the short-term. With the high volumes of traffic to the UK and EI's strategy of drawing feeder passengers for their North American routes it has a lot of potential downside. Medium-term joining Schengen might be required to draw in replacement sources of PAX.

Having pre clearance at Dublin may well turn out to be a very positive issue, given the very real uncertainty about the entry process into the States at the moment, Brexit is only one very uncertain factor in the middle of the total uncertainty about what Trump's longer term policies will be, given his moves over the last 24 hours.

Our being in or out of Schengen does not as such change the pre clearance, so EI/BA/Ryanair can feed passengers into Dublin for America from anywhere in Europe. If we don't have a hard border, then even if we did join Schengen, the CTA, which is likely to remain, will mean that the Schengen concept won't work here anyway.

Our political elite very much need to be making very sure that whatever eventually does happen is not a massive disadvantage to Ireland just because Merkel and her hangers on want to send a strong message to the rest of Europe about how the EU needs to stick together, and if that means that Ireland has to use a veto on some aspects of the EU plans, then so be it, and unlike some of the previous referendum votes, when Ireland voted the wrong way for Europe, if the plans for the Brexit scheme are bad for Ireland, then Ireland has to have the courage to say No to Europe until the deal is right. I'm not convinced that the politicians have the courage to do that, it will be interesting to see who blinks first.

What is clear is that there will be significant changes for the Airports in terms of border controls which ever way this mess eventually pans out.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Assuming immigration controls along the land frontier are not foisted upon us by the EU (and I doubt they would be, however customs checks are another matter) then the most pragmatic solution is for Northern Ireland and the Republic to join Schengen and move immigration controls back to GB ports of entry. It'll never happen but I think only because of unionists. I think the EU and Schengen signatory states would allow this as being in the EU is not a prerequisite for being in Schengen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The airport’s owner, State company DAA, is likely to award the main contract to build the runway in coming months and construction of the airstrip itself could start some time around mid year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/dublin-airport-begins-work-on-new-runway-1.2958256

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There's a a fairly big site compound going up across the road east of the threshold of 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

KoolKid wrote: »
    There's a a fairly big site compound going up across the road east of the threshold of 16.

Came over here to say the same!

There's been a lot of movement this week with fencing going up all the way to the Keeling's Farm shop and all plants/trees are being cut. There's also a sign on Forest Rd (coming from Naul Rd) but didn't get the chance to read it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

There's been a lot of movement this week with fencing going up all the way to the Keeling's Farm shop and all plants/trees are being cut. There's also a sign on Forest Rd (coming from Naul Rd) but didn't get the chance to read it :)
    Saw that this morning. Forrest road going to be closed from 20 Feb, but didn't get to see until when. That will cause traffic problems in Swords. It's for the re-alignment of the Naul rd. I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

CTA won't end, just enhanced with full API from March
    Where are the directives and publicity on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

trellheim wrote: »

Whatever about the future of the CTA, which is a political beast (and in all probability will be retained by some diplomatic work around), the Irish ambassador to London mentioned the provision of API between UK and Ireland at the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee at the UK House of Parliament yesterday.

It was mentioned in the media last year.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0406/779940-ireland-britain-api/
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/ireland-and-uk-to-share-all-passenger-data-within-weeks-34571665.html

trellheim wrote: »

Search EU PNR Directive ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

plodder wrote: »

Saw that this morning. Forrest road going to be closed from 20 Feb, but didn't get to see until when. That will cause traffic problems in Swords. It's for the re-alignment of the Naul rd. I presume.
    From what I saw going past it this morning its sometime in July can't remember which date

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

What do Directives have to do with the CTA and future non-EU countries? Oh yeah... absolutely nothing!

What do Directives have to do with the CTA and future non-EU countries? Oh yeah... absolutely nothing!

Yeah, I should have clarified a little bit as well. The PNR Directive has nothing to do with the CTA specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

From what I saw going past it this morning its sometime in July can't remember which date

Closed until July 7th approx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

rushfan wrote: »
    Closed until July 7th approx
    cheers went past it again and still didn't see the date

Advertisement