Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I was up there on the Keelings road a little while ago. I was surprised at the extent of the work already started. It extends a long way down towards St. Margarets.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A lot of fencing going up very quickly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I've just moved a multiple message discussion that was unrelated to the Dublin Runway and infrastructure to the general sticky thread for discussion about routes and the like, can we try and keep this thread on topic please

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭is this username available

New business park to go ahead

Great news for North dublin and can hopefully attract some new multinationals. Really is time for a rail link however.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

Great news for North dublin and can hopefully attract some new multinationals. Really is time for a rail link however.
    It will add 2-3% extra traffic to M50 apparently. So, rail link would be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Seems that one of the T2 car parks will disappear as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Let's add traffic commuting to and from the airport, good plan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Or, you know, Metro North :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Let's add traffic commuting to and from the airport, good plan :D

Let's have the possibly the most under-invested public transport system in Europe. Good plan!

And let's talk about building Metro North for 40 years only to throw away a perfectly good plan with a railway order that's ready to start construction tomorrow.

Peregrine wrote: »
    Let's have the possibly the most under-invested public transport system in Europe. Good plan!

And let's talk about building Metro North for 40 years only to throw away a perfectly good plan with a railway order that's ready to start construction tomorrow.

[OFFTOPIC]
    Well, if it makes you feel better, the first Thessaloniki (Greece) Metro plan was approved in the 60s, construction (of the first 9.6km line) started in 2006 due to be delivered in 2012, works are still ongoing and part of it will now be delivered in 2020, and the 4 remaining stations will only be delivered in 2022.
    [/OFFTOPIC]

:pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just look at Berlin Brandenburg airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Just look at Berlin Brandenburg airport.
    Ironically though, the old ramshackle airport on the same site has a far better rail connection to the city than even Metro North will be. But that's not an excuse for doing nothing. We have to start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

plodder wrote: »
    Ironically though, the old ramshackle airport on the same site has a far better rail connection to the city than even Metro North will be. But that's not an excuse for doing nothing. We have to start somewhere.

It used to be we could moan at how incompetant we were in this country. Increasingly I find myself looking around at Britain, the US, hell even Germany now and finding it's the same crap everywhere.

It used to be we could moan at how incompetant we were in this country. Increasingly I find myself looking around at Britain, the US, hell even Germany now and finding it's the same crap everywhere.

The US has always (or at least for the last few decades) been AWFUL at infrastructure spending. Like, can you imagine any other western country where something like this would regularly happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Same kind of thing can be argued nearly happened (I guess) at the Hammersmith Flyover in London. There is an awful lot of early-build infrastructure thats been in use for years that is nearing, or is beyond, end-of-life. Replacing it all will be staggeringly disruptive and will be seized on by the no roads/bridges/rail/anything brigade.

Yeah, but my point is that that's something that happens regularly in the US (albeit without the same significant fatalities) - just look at how many times they pop up on this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bridge_failures#2000.E2.80.93present

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I read earlier in the Irish times earlier (link below) That current airport only has permission to handle 32,000,000 max. Given that number will likely be exceeded on a rolling year basis in 2018, I wonder are the Daa actually doing anything about it?!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/how-much-does-dublin-airport-need-a-third-terminal-1.2984184?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 68,922 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I read earlier in the info. That current airport only has permission to handle 32,000,000 max. Given that number will likely be exceeded on a rolling year basis in 2018, I wonder are the Daa actually doing anything about it?!

Permission from who? Indo are not a reliable source of info.

The existing terminals only have a *capacity* of about that but the DAA has added 8 bus gates in what was Pier C and on the 200/A pier and has applied for permission for temporary gates on the 100/D pier like before. Separation of inbound and outbound on the entire 200 gates is underway and may allow quicker turns and hence higher throughput.

edit: I see your edit and the slightly more reliable source. Planning conditions like that can be removed easily enough, if its not already in one of the existing planning applications (for the runway, or temp gates, or new tower) I'd be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The 32,000,000 is to do with traffic congestion at airport...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,922 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The 32,000,000 is to do with traffic congestion at airport...

Housing estate near me had a hard stop after X number of houses due to traffic issues; meant to wait for a ring road to be built. Provided info that they hadn't made the issues any worse; condition lifted.

DAA would just need to provide traffic counts, some details of new bus services etc (I now have an hourly service during summer whereas previously it was train and bus or bus and bus; so I now sometimes go by bus; and never did before) and details of the amount of the increase that has nothing to do with traffic - connections - to get such a condition either lifted entirely or have the figure raised significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

Well whatever about future growing passenger numbers, Terminal 1 CANT handle the current throughflow. I had the pleasure of waiting 45 mins last night around midnight to pass through immigration/passport control. I took a pic of the Q but cant upload it. This was after taking 10 mins to get down from the travellators coming from the Ryanair gates. As i passed through the passport check the Q behind me was still as long as when i joined.....and the self service passport checks were closed off because god knows that might have helped!!!!. On top of this it was wel after 1am getting a taxi after a 25 minute wait.!!! Dublin airport really needs to up its game here....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Blut2

I transit through DUB about once per week and have never been in a queue longer than 5min at immigration. I think the DAA generally has very good staffing levels.

The rare times I read about it being a problem it seems to be a very late at night issue. Presumably because there are so few fights arriving in at that time there are fewer immigration staff on, which means if there are any planes delayed or arriving before schedule a glut easily forms as more PAX than expected disembark at once.

I'm not really sure what DAA could easily do about that, but I suppose more self service gates would be a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

Rojomur wrote: »
    Well whatever about future growing passenger numbers, Terminal 1 CANT handle the current throughflow. I had the pleasure of waiting 45 mins last night around midnight to pass through immigration/passport control.

To be fair, that's not an indication of capacity, just poor management of the immigration area by DOJ, AGS or whoever runs it. DAA don't have anything to do with it (as far as I'm aware).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Blut2 wrote: »
    The rare times I read about it being a problem it seems to be a very late at night issue. Presumably because there are so few fights arriving in at that time there are fewer immigration staff on,

That makes no sense. There are loads of flights arriving between 10pm and midnight as all the Ryanair and Aer Lingus aircraft based at Dublin are returning home for the night.

Rojomur wrote: »
    Well whatever about future growing passenger numbers, Terminal 1 CANT handle the current throughflow. I had the pleasure of waiting 45 mins last night around midnight to pass through immigration/passport control. I took a pic of the Q but cant upload it. This was after taking 10 mins to get down from the travellators coming from the Ryanair gates. As i passed through the passport check the Q behind me was still as long as when i joined.....and the self service passport checks were closed off because god knows that might have helped!!!!. On top of this it was wel after 1am getting a taxi after a 25 minute wait.!!! Dublin airport really needs to up its game here....

Flew in recently with one of the last flights of a Sunday, and immigration reminded me of the pit in Aviva when the AC/DC were playing live..

Surprisingly enough we cleared it in 10-15 minutes, but I guess if there are more than 3-4 peculiar cases (I mean cases take more than 30 seconds), the flow will be disrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

My annoyance is more that the self service gates were closed off. There are 4 maybe 6 of them which would assist greatly in moving the Q along. Im guessing the volume of passengers was due to a number of flights arriving delayed due knock on effects of Storm Doris. My flight from barcelona was delayed by 75 -80 mins due to the dublin to barcelona flight leaving approximatly 90 late. Cant blame the storm on DAA but having more kiosk passport checks open IS their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Immigration and its staffing is nothing to do with the DAA - that's down to INIS and the GNIB.

I can't explain the lack of staffed booths, but late nights are always going to be one of the busier times of the day due to the high volume of short haul aircraft returning to their base in Dublin at the end of their working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Blut2

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    That makes no sense. There are loads of flights arriving between 10pm and midnight as all the Ryanair and Aer Lingus aircraft based at Dublin are returning home for the night.

The poster I was replying to (Rojomur) said he got a taxi from the airport well after 0100, after arriving at immigration around 00:00.

There are only 4 arrivals scheduled for DUB tonight later than 23:30, none for after 00:00. There are only 2 for after 23:30 tomorrow night, none for after 00:00.

So it would make perfect sense for there to be significantly less immigration staff on shift after midnight.

@Blut2 Forecasting and subsequently staffing is not based only on scheduled arivals. They must take other factors into consideration, such as delays, disruptions, weather, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Rojomur wrote:
    My annoyance is more that the self service gates were closed off. There are 4 maybe 6 of them which would assist greatly in moving the Q along. Im guessing the volume of passengers was due to a number of flights arriving delayed due knock on effects of Storm Doris. My flight from barcelona was delayed by 75 -80 mins due to the dublin to barcelona flight leaving approximatly 90 late. Cant blame the storm on DAA but having more kiosk passport checks open IS their problem.

In relation to the self service gates being closed, did you inform the GNIB staff on duty of your frustration? Have you contacted the Dept of Justice re same? Having more kiosks open is NOT the fault of the daa. This is the kind of nonsense spouted by MO'L previously where he blamed the daa for everything from homelessness to Ireland losing to Scotland, say.

Advertisement