Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Those self service gates are open from about 9 - 5 every day and thats it. There used to be a sign about it but it disappeared.

They're in the wrong location anyway, you have to join the same queue to access them and due to their location its often quicker just to wait to see a person anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Those self service gates are open from about 9 - 5 every day and thats it. There used to be a sign about it but it disappeared.

They're in the wrong location anyway, you have to join the same queue to access them and due to their location its often quicker just to wait to see a person anyway.

They're not only 9-5, but you have to remember that you need an immigration officer to monitor them so when there is a shortage of staff it's not always possible to have them open.

If you look in the work and jobs forum, INIS are currently training more immigration officers, with more to come again. Hopefully this should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

GNIB hasn't been in Terminal 1 for nearly two years. There are building works in the area that the Ryanair passengers come in to and the Hall is smaller as a result.

31,000 passengers going through T1 today; approximately 28/29,000 going through the area people are commenting on.

10% of that figure will land in approx 45 minutes - that's down to the Airlines; no one else; plus there are only 10 desks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

GNIB hasn't been in Terminal 1 for nearly two years. There are building works in the area that the Ryanair passengers come in to and the Hall is smaller as a result.

31,000 passengers going through T1 today; approximately 28/29,000 going through the area people are commenting on.

10% of that figure will land in approx 45 minutes - that's down to the Airlines; no one else; plus there are only 10 desks.

This too. T1 is crazy busy, plus imo the Immigration Hall is not of ideal design for the pax numbers going through it at present.

Just to add, despite what I said above, its not just about the number of staff, volume is as much an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Just had a though earlier. Would it make sense to have lower airport taxes outside of peak hours , to try and increase business at Dublin airport? There is so much capacity not being used during mid morning to late afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Just had a though earlier. Would it make sense to have lower airport taxes outside of peak hours , to try and increase business at Dublin airport? There is so much capacity not being used during mid morning to late afternoon

Won't work and it's February and in summer it's quiet busy throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Is there much growth expected in the European side of things for the summer? Ryanair have no growth and Aer Lingus have cancelled some of their growth.

Stockholm with Norwegian,
    Munich with Transavia (which is already going to end permanently from October),
    Aer Lingus to Split.

Is that really it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Is there much growth expected in the European side of things for the summer? Ryanair have no growth and Aer Lingus have cancelled some of their growth.

Stockholm with Norwegian,
    Munich with Transavia (which is already going to end permanently from October),
    Aer Lingus to Split.

Is that really it?

LH, LX, DY, Wow, SK, A3 and EI (still up).

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

10/28 is being repaired/overlaid at the moment, but once the new runway opens in 2020 are there plans to lengthen the existing runway from 2,637 metres?

I feel that an extension to 3,300-3,500 metres would be a good investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I feel that an extension to 3,300-3,500 metres would be a good investment.

So you've run the numbers ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    So you've run the numbers ?

Is it necessary for posters to conduct a cost benefit analysis before posting now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Dublin is the only European capital without a 10,000-ft runway. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Dublin is the only European capital without a 10,000-ft runway. It's ridiculous.

And Berlin Tegal

And Lithuania, Latvia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Kosovo and Slovakia.

Also worth nothing the large Istanbul Atäturk airport doesn't have a runway over 10,000ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

The new runway length of 3100 metres will be more than adequate. Extending the existing runway would be a colossal waste of money I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

There is plenty of room to extend 10/28 at both ends.

If they extended it to 3300-3500 metres, it would be the longest in Ireland and could handle virtually any aircraft.

What happened to the plan for the new runway to be 3,660 metres?

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    And Berlin Tegal

It's 9918 ft. Near enough!
    And Lithuania, Latvia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Kosovo and Slovakia.

Also worth nothing the large Istanbul Atäturk airport doesn't have a runway over 10,000ft.

I'm afraid you're not totally correct there:

Latvia (Riga): 10,499 feet.

Montenegro (Podgorica): 9998 ft (i.e. 10,000)

Both Istanbul international airports are about 9850 feet, near enough to 10,000 and way longer than Dublin.

Lithuania has half the population of Ireland and is not exactly an international hub, however its runway is the same length as our 28. Similarly Bosnia, Albania and Kosovo. All much smaller populations and not exactly renowned as aviating nations, unlike Ireland. Slovakia has a population almost the same as Ireland but at 9545 its runway is almost 1000 ft longer than 28.

Even Iceland has two runways longer than 10,000 ft, for a total country population only one third of Dublin's.

With the huge ethnic variation and global aviation industry based in Ireland it is sinful that we are not in a position to offer facilities for ultra longhaul flights if required. Foward thinking would suggest that this will be required in the future.

My mistake with Riga.

You can't just say "Dublin is the only capital in Europe with no runway over 10,000ft" when it's clearly not.

I accept your point on Dublin needing a longer runway, but your tabloid style headline which was incorrect is what I was getting at. It just creates misinformation and incorrect rumours, such as "Dublin's runway is too small for the A380".

Anyway, this will soon be solved with the new RWY, which I'm quite impressed is sticking fully with the timeline. We do make a mockery of how badly timed and planned some projects are in Ireland, but the DAA seem quite efficient in this regard. Especially when comparing it to the mess that is Berlin Brandenburg.

My mistake with Riga.
    And Podgorica.

You can't just say "Dublin is the only capital in Europe with no runway over 10,000ft" when it's clearly not.

I accept your point on Dublin needing a longer runway, but your tabloid style headline which was incorrect is what I was getting at. It just creates misinformation and incorrect rumours, such as "Dublin's runway is too small for the A380".

Anyway, this will soon be solved with the new RWY, which I'm quite impressed is sticking fully with the timeline. We do make a mockery of how badly timed and planned some projects are in Ireland, but the DAA seem quite efficient in this regard. Especially when comparing it to the mess that is Berlin Brandenburg.

But our runway IS too short for an A380 (fully-laden). The countries you have mentioned are all eastern European nations, most of which have only become independent in the last few decades (and I include Berlin in this respect). All countries west of these (OK, without including the likes of Andorra and Lichtenstein) have 10,000+ ft runways.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The countries you have mentioned are all eastern European nations, most of which have only become independent in the last few decades (and I include Berlin in this respect). All countries west of these (OK, without including the likes of Andorra and Lichtenstein) have 10,000+ ft runways.

Lithuania and Latvia are not Eastern European nations, they are Baltic states.

• Advertisement

With the huge ethnic variation and global aviation industry based in Ireland it is sinful that we are not in a position to offer facilities for ultra longhaul flights if required. Foward thinking would suggest that this will be required in the future.

You can reach the west coast of the U.S. as well as the Middle East from Dublin.

What ultra long haul is Dublin sinfully missing?

Lithuania and Latvia are not Eastern European nations, they are Baltic states.

I mean part of the former Soviet Union. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Singapore is the one that jumps to mind.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

You can reach the west coast of the U.S. as well as the Middle East from Dublin.

China? Far East, with connections to AUS/NZ. South America?

China? Far East, with connections to AUS/NZ. South America?

If the interest from airlines was there, surely the DAA would have investigated the feasibility of a runway extension,

Their not just going to extend, at a cost of millions 'just in case' an airline might want to set up a new route!

I mean part of the former Soviet Union. :rolleyes:

So not Eastern Europe as you stated.

If the interest from airlines was there, surely the DAA would have investigated the feasibility of a runway extension,

Their not just going to extend, at a cost of millions 'just in case' an airline might want to set up a new route!

Well airlines will definitely not want to if they don't.

We'll airlines will definitely not want to if they don't.

That's why interested parties have discussion on such matters.

Airlines aren't just going to wait for an extension, saying feck all about it until DAA actually commit.

So not Eastern Europe as you stated.

What is your deal? So pedantic.They are former eastern bloc countries, just the same as the others mentioned in the posts. That was the context.

• Advertisement

What is your deal? So pedantic.They are former eastern bloc countries, just the same as the others mentioned in the posts. That was the context.

Eastern bloc & Eastern Europe are 2 different things.

I guess having lived out there, I can understand why they don't like being called Eastern European, the same way Irish people don't like being called English, or Canadians don't like being called American etc...

Anyway, enough of that, this is a Dublin airport thread.

Advertisement