Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The road to the boot inn will be gone, and replaced by a new road that will enter at the St Margarets end of the airfield, the road to Keelings is being changed but not as such in the vicinity of the 16 threshold, the new bit is closer to the swords road, it's being moved away from the runway.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 paddyboeing

Will the spot at the corner of the R108 at the taxiway be gone too? And the road at the coachman's roundabout up to the Naul road roundabout will be gone also? Is the forrest little road also gone, and the r108 from Knocksedan/swords manor?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

A Massive overhaul of baggage handling systems at Dublin and Cork Airports to deal with new explosive detection requirements under EU rules is being kick-started by the DAA.

The airports authority has previously estimated that the upgrade at Dublin Airport alone will cost around €13m.

Semi-State DAA has said the project will be "challenging and complex" and will require significant planning while minimising the impact to airport operations and security.

The DAA, whose CEO is Kevin Toland, said the new equipment that will be installed is likely to have an impact not only on its baggage systems and terminal infrastructure, but also on the screening process and baggage operations.

The baggage screening systems at Dublin's Terminal 2 - from which most of the airport's flights to North America operate - is set to be upgraded by 2020, with the work beginning next year.

It's anticipated that work at Terminal 1 will be started in 2019 and finished by 2023.

Positive step:
    The DAA said that as part of the baggage screening upgrade, it may examine other potential upgrades such as inter-terminal connectivity for its baggage handling systems, as well as its arrivals baggage handling.

Full Article: http://www.independent.ie/business/dublin-and-cork-airports-set-for-13m-upgrade-of-explosive-detection-system-35633780.html

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭orionm_73

Locker10a wrote: »
    Is this being constructed in front of the Aer Lingus Cargo building ?

It is yes. Looking at the planning permission there will be buses on a continual loop from T2 servicing this "remote" pier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

orionm_73 wrote: »
    Is this being constructed in front of the Aer Lingus Cargo building ?

It is yes. Looking at the planning permission there will be buses on a continual loop from T2 servicing this "remote" pier.
    Are the busses a permanent thing? Why not build a walkway?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,921 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The remote pier isn't permanent so I assume buses were picked for costs reasons over the expected operating period. Also people moan about long walkways, even moving ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

L1011 wrote: »
    The remote pier isn't permanent so I assume buses were picked for costs reasons over the expected operating period. Also people moan about long walkways, even moving ones.

I was bussed down there a few weeks ago and it was horrible, the driver of the bus was an old fella and he had the heating on full blast in the cabin, we had to wait at the aircraft for about 15 minutes as there was no crew on board yet.
    It was like a sauna,

I'd have happily walked it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I don't see how you could build a walkway without building on top of 'Bond Road', demolishing a building maybe and moving a few roads. That's before you think about the cost.

Furthermore, if you build a temporary walkway to east of T2 then where would you build the permanent extension?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Peregrine wrote: »
    I don't see how you could build a walkway without building on top of 'Bond Road', demolishing a building maybe and moving a few roads. That's before you think about the cost.

Furthermore, if you build a temporary walkway to east of T2 then where would you build the permanent extension?
    That's a fair point , though I had pictured a bridge style one similar to the one between pier D and T1.
    I assumed this was a more permanent thing but obviously not. Thanks for the info, any idea how long this is intended to be in operation for ?
    It's appears to be a similar idea to temporary gates built remotely in Rome FCO a few years ago when they had a fire in the terminal.
    You cleared security and the screen showed your gate, when you arrived at this "gate" you were shuttled by bus to a remote prefab. On entering here you would again have to find your actual gate number... crazy as it sounds some of the aircraft stands for this renote prefab gate area were themselves remote stands. So the remote terminal had remote stands... I kid you not. It did NOT make for a pleasant journey

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

That's a fair point , though I had pictured a bridge style one similar to the one between pier D and T1.
    I assumed this was a more permanent thing but obviously not. Thanks for the info, any idea how long this is intended to be in operation for ?
    It's appears to be a similar idea to temporary gates built remotely in Rome FCO a few years ago when they had a fire in the terminal.
    You cleared security and the screen showed your gate, when you arrived at this "gate" you were shuttled by bus to a remote prefab. On entering here you would again have to find your actual gate number... crazy as it sounds some of the aircraft stands for this renote prefab gate area were themselves remote stands. So the remote terminal had remote stands... I kid you not. It did NOT make for a pleasant journey

It's for a period of seven years. Originally, it was meant to be operational by this summer. It's modular and shouldn't take too long to put up but I'm not sure how feasible that is now. My post from last year has more details and links to the planning application.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Not for the first time another shambles at DUB Arrivals at lunchtime today. Our flight arrived in at the very end of the 1xx gates pier and, once inside, I feared the worst. I can't remember previously seeing so many arriving passengers on the long walk and wasn't surprised when the queue came to a halt way ahead of the top of the escalators down to the hall. To add insult to injury when we came to the Timer notice it indicated 5 minutes queue time so they weren't only incompetent but PoP's (Purveyors of Porkies) as well. When we finally got to the hall the usual Closed/Dúnta signs were up on at least 4 channels. There is absolutely no excuse for this especially on a Bank Holiday Weekend.

The staff did their very best with the situation they were presented with but whoever is responsible for this debacle should be sacked as they, obviously, couldn't be bothered to be aware of incomings and have sufficient staff on duty. In stark contrast, the Security going out on the Friday was professionally and very effectively handled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Those signs are automated based on mobile phone data. At best they are inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I got into T1 arrivals at about 8pm on the Sunday night. 2 minute queue, if that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I got into T1 arrivals at about 8pm on the Sunday night. 2 minute queue, if that.

Yup, ditto – came in on the CRL flight last night and was through very quickly.

There was a choir on board who started singing "Ag Críost an síol" after landing. Poor cabin crew didn't know what to make of it all :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

It happens at lunch time and the end of the night when a certain airline insists on bringing all their aircraft (full of pax) back to base within a 1 hour period. T1 arrivals just isn't set up to deal with that many passengers in such a short space of time, regardless of staffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

I regularly land into T1 at around 11.30pm on a Sunday evening and you are guaranteed a wait of at least 30 minutes in the passport queue every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Avada wrote: »
    It happens at lunch time and the end of the night when a certain airline insists on bringing all their aircraft (full of pax) back to base within a 1 hour period. T1 arrivals just isn't set up to deal with that many passengers in such a short space of time, regardless of staffing.
    That excuse doesn't wash with me. If you know that why don't they. If they did and were concerned about it they would have all the channels open in readiness before the crowds hit the hall, not waiting until the hall is already filled up and backed up in the corridor before opening one or two more. 4 x Dúnta's being Oscailt would have made a big difference.

It's ridiculous to blame a "certain airline" for bringing passengers in which is what airports are for. The blame lies squarely with the people who operate the Passport area in conjunction with the DAA who's job is to know when an influx is due and use all of their facilities to "facilitate" the passengers. With passenger numbers increasing rapidly there is no sense of something being done to make things better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

Avada wrote:

Imagine airlines carrying plane loads of passengers to an airport. What absolute cheek!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

What utter nonsense.

Do you expect any airline not to try to maximise the use of all of its aircraft throughout the day?

If we flip your argument on its head, what if Ireland had full outward immigration checks - how would we ever cope with the first wave of departures in the morning?

This is clearly a staffing issue by INIS - nothing less.

There will clearly be certain times when the arrivals areas will be busier than others - it is down to both the DAA and INIS to ensure that they provide adequate facilities and staffing to cope with that.

• Advertisement

With new staff INIS have more staff than booths most of the time. The area cannot handle the pax volumes.

Don't accept it if you want, but it's the truth.

With new staff INIS have more staff than booths most of the time. The area cannot handle the pax volumes.

Don't accept it if you want, but it's the truth.
    The point is that it is not the airline's fault for operating a schedule that maximises their fleet as you seemed to suggest in the first half of your post.

It's a DAA/INIS issue.

The previous poster has already said that 4 lanes were closed at the time they arrived - that does not square with your analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

Is DAA planning on implementing the automated passport checking machines properly any time soon? They seem a far more efficient use of space. And given they're always there, they can accommodate temporary surges in passengers better.

They seem to work very well in a lot of European countries these days.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Is DAA planning on implementing the automated passport checking machines properly any time soon? They seem a far more efficient use of space. And given they're always there, they can accommodate temporary surges in passengers better.

Thats a matter for INIS, they went out for tender a while ago so I would expect the new gates to be implemented soon. The ones that were there were on an extended trial, which is obviously finished due to the current tender. There was a PQ answered on it recently as far as I know (think the person asking was Darragh O'Brien).

lxflyer wrote: »
    The point is that it is not the airline's fault for operating a schedule that maximises their fleet as you seemed to suggest in the first half of your post.

It's a DAA/INIS issue.

The previous poster has already said that 4 lanes were closed at the time they arrived - that does not square with your analysis.

I understand an airline wishes to maximise its fleet, but the physical space is just not there at immigration.

The closed 4 lanes would be a rarity these days, but thats the reality of immigration, if you have a large number of inadmissable people or investigations, its unavoidable even with extra staff.

I understand an airline wishes to maximise its fleet, but the physical space is just not there at immigration.

The closed 4 lanes would be a rarity these days, but thats the reality of immigration, if you have a large number of inadmissable people or investigations, its unavoidable even with extra staff.

Again though - that is a DAA/INIS issue to resolve.

The DAA are trying to maximise routes and flights out of Dublin.

It is up to them to provide the facilities to match that aspiration.

Yes full roll out of E gates in both terminals to take place over coming months.
    Again though - that is a DAA/INIS issue to resolve.

The DAA are trying to maximise routes and flights out of Dublin.

It is up to them to provide the facilities to match that aspiration.

Why the daa, all they can do is put some pressure on but it only goes so far.
    I regularly land into T1 at around 11.30pm on a Sunday evening and you are guaranteed a wait of at least 30 minutes in the passport queue every time.

Have landed a few times and it's busy but no where near a 30 minute wait.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Yes full roll out of E gates in both terminals to take place over coming months.

Why the daa, all they can do is put some pressure on but it only goes so far.

Have landed a few times and it's busy but no where near a 30 minute wait.

The DAA I would suggest are responsible for providing the space for INIS facilities, and INIS are responsible for providing the staff for said facilities.

If the immigration hall is too small to meet the demands of the flights that the DAA have themselves encouraged, then the DAA need to expand it.

The DAA I would suggest are responsible for providing the space for INIS facilities, and INIS are responsible for providing the staff for said facilities.

If the immigration hall is too small to meet the demands of the flights that the DAA have themselves encouraged, then the DAA need to expand it.

In most cases the hall is only to small if not staffed correctly. Not a lot the daa can do for example if they were operating it like security it would be a quick operation because they would get a fine.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    In most cases the hall is only to small if not staffed correctly. Not a lot the daa can do for example if they were operating it like security it would be a quick operation because they would get a fine.

The other poster is saying that the physical space in the immigration hall for the 100/200 gate arrivals is not sufficient to cope with the volume of arriving passengers at certain times - that's what I am responding to.

If that is the case it is a DAA issue to resolve.

The staffing is an INIS issue to ensure that sufficient staff are there to cope with busy arrival periods. Of course if there is a large volume of inadmissible passengers that will create issues, but that's something that INIS have to plan for as best they can.

Advertisement