Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    In most cases the hall is only to small if not staffed correctly. Not a lot the daa can do for example if they were operating it like security it would be a quick operation because they would get a fine.

Thats not true imo. You can have every booth full at 11.30pm and there will still be queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Avada wrote: »
    In most cases the hall is only to small if not staffed correctly. Not a lot the daa can do for example if they were operating it like security it would be a quick operation because they would get a fine.

Thats not true imo. You can have every booth full at 11.30pm and there will still be queues.

I have never ever saw an immigration hall fully staffed in Dublin and if it is and there are still queues for a short while it doesn't justify the capital to expans the hall for an hour a day.

What benefit will it deliver passengers are still going to be queuing before entering the hall or in the hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I have never ever saw an immigration hall fully staffed in Dublin and if it is and there are still queues for a short while it doesn't justify the capital to expans the hall for an hour a day.

What benefit will it deliver passengers are still going to be queuing before entering the hall or in the hall.

Future proofing? I know its something Ireland isn't great at

Avada wrote: »
    Future proofing? I know its something Ireland isn't great at

It would be more sensible to wait and see how the E-Gates cope once fully operational lather this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

I can't decide if this would be good or bad. The daa have said in the past that they would not give any independent terminal operator access to their runways. Would they have a choice if the minister told them to grant access?

I would be very surprised if this ever got off the ground but can a review like he is saying will happen do any harm?

http://www.thejournal.ie/ross-terminal-airport-3373483-May2017/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

I can't decide if this would be good or bad. The daa have said in the past that they would not give any independent terminal operator access to their runways. Would they have a choice if the minister told them to grant access?

I would be very surprised if this ever got off the ground but can a review like he is saying will happen do any harm?

http://www.thejournal.ie/ross-terminal-airport-3373483-May2017/

Definitely good, DAA couldn't run a tap properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

billie1b wrote: »
    Definitely good, DAA couldn't run a tap properly!

To be fair, I use T2 all the time now and the taps are grand. The hand dryers are another story :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

What's wrong with DAA exactly?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I don't think it will work, a privately run terminal firstly would cost probably a billion minimum to build and run, and we all know airlines want to pay virtually nothing for use of airport facilities, so how a private terminal can make money I'm not sure. Because no airline will pay more for a use of a new terminal, so it will have to match DAA prices or be less. And if it's less I can't see it making much money so in ten year you'll have a terminal that get not investment/refurbishment because the owners will only want turnover/profit and airline won't be will to pay a red cent more for anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Locker10a wrote: »
    I don't think it will work, a privately run terminal firstly would cost probably a billion minimum to build and run, and we all know airlines want to pay virtually nothing for use of airport facilities, so how a private terminal can make money I'm not sure. Because no airline will pay more for a use of a new terminal, so it will have to match DAA prices or be less. And if it's less I can't see it making much money so in ten year you'll have a terminal that get not investment/refurbishment because the owners will only want turnover/profit and airline won't be will to pay a red cent more for anything else

Match DAA prices while DAA will actually have extra income from the terminal in question, and possibly be able to pass this on to Airlines..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Open Up

You don't have to match the daa's prices when their terminals are full...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

also depending on the location of this terminal, there could be significant infrastructural costs.

Open Up wrote: »
    You don't have to match the daa's prices when they're terminals are full...

But what airlines are desperate to expand in Dublin to the extent that they'd pay higher fees to do so?
    Aer Lingus are happily settled in T2, and Ryanair NEVER expand at Dublin unless the fees are the right price(lower/frozen) so they certainly won't be paying more for any new terminal that they don't really need

It's not just about airlines wanting to expand. It's necessary expansion just to satisfy increase in the demand. Just look at the passenger forecasts for Dublin. A near doubling of passenger numbers is expected by 2040.

It's not just about airlines wanting to expand. It's necessary expansion just to satisfy increase in the demand. Just look at the passenger forecasts for Dublin. A near doubling of passenger numbers is expected by 2040.

The major problem at DUB is aircraft stands and aircraft movements not terminal space.

It's just a race to the bottom and very few win.

It's not going to get off the group anyway, a review will find against the idea and if it doesn't Mr Ross's days in office are numbered.

The major problem at DUB is aircraft stands and aircraft movements not terminal space.

It's just a race to the bottom and very few win.

It's not going to get off the group anyway, a review will find against the idea and if it doesn't Mr Ross's days in office are numbered.

That's the problem now and in the short-term. Terminal infrastructure is not short-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

also depending on the location of this terminal, there could be significant infrastructural costs.

Yep, Put the new terminal over between the parallel runways,accessable via a 4km dedicated motorway spur from the M/N2 direct into the terminal, the government could fund/provide this as incentive for any prospective terminal owner/operator.

Yeah that's very true, expansion and more capacity is most defiantly needed in years to come, I just don't think a 3rd or private terminal are the answer.
    There is potential to expand current piers/add gates and I think over the next few years that's what is needed

Yep, Put the new terminal over between the parallel runways,accessable via a 4km dedicated motorway spur from the M/N2 direct into the terminal, the government could fund/provide this as incentive for any prospective terminal owner/operator.

This is the sensible option if you think about it. The existing access roads around the current terminals are already congested and it would be very difficult to increase the capacity of this surface access from the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Current stand allocations are a joke evening T2 inbounds usually have a huge walk from the old T1 - excuse given 'its for the morning inbounds'- ever hear of a tug lads to move the aircraft off stand afterwards

but no thats not our way in daa ... fk the SLF

watching old people cry after a long canary islands flight after trying to make it up the broken big escalator last week was a highlight of my evening let me tell you

the redshirt in passport control could not give a fk "someone elses problem Guv" absolute bottom feeders

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    Current stand allocations are a joke evening T2 inbounds usually have a huge walk from the old T1 - excuse given 'its for the morning inbounds'- ever hear of a tug lads to move the aircraft off stand afterwards

but no thats not our way in daa ... fk the SLF

watching old people cry after a long canary islands flight after trying to make it up the broken big escalator last week was a highlight of my evening let me tell you

the redshirt in passport control could not give a fk "someone elses problem Guv" absolute bottom feeders

There's no easy solution to avoiding long walks all of the time. No one wants to walk long distances but short of levelling the airport and starting again it's not something that will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

There's no easy solution to avoiding long walks all of the time. No one wants to walk long distances but short of levelling the airport and starting again it's not something that will change.
    you think I don't know that ? My objection is to looking at a clear line of t2 gates and DAA actually bothering their hole

trellheim wrote: »
    you think I don't know that ? My objection is to looking at a clear line of t2 gates and DAA actually bothering their hole

Gates aren't allocated on a whatever-plane-lands-first-basis. You probably knew that too though. Also the majority of Aer Lingus flights from the Canaries arrive after midnight. I can guarantee you there was no empty pier 4 stands at that time of night.

Gates aren't allocated on a whatever-plane-lands-first-basis. You probably knew that too though. Also the majority of Aer Lingus flights from the Canaries arrive after midnight. I can guarantee you there was no empty pier 4 stands at that time of night.

I will say though, planning-wise and from an obvious customer satisfaction level, having a gate closer to the terminal would be a better choice after a long flight. However, that's an issue for the airline to rectify with the daa, not the daa's issue to be focussing on. The daa's customers are the airlines. The airlines' customers are the passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Sorry to go off tangent, but while were speaking about gate assignments.. who is in charge of these? I presumed it was each airlines ops (or the company handling the airline if its an out station).. i.e Aer Lingus have x amount of gates that they can assign and use at will and so on.

Sorry to go off tangent, but while were speaking about gate assignments.. who is in charge of these? I presumed it was each airlines ops (or the company handling the airline if its an out station).. i.e Aer Lingus have x amount of gates that they can assign and use at will and so on.

At other airports it's an automated system operated collaboratively by ATC and the airport operator. I think it's the same at Dublin. Obviously the system acknowledges rules like what airlines use what terminals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

But what airlines are desperate to expand in Dublin to the extent that they'd pay higher fees to do so?
    Aer Lingus are happily settled in T2, and Ryanair NEVER expand at Dublin unless the fees are the right price(lower/frozen) so they certainly won't be paying more for any new terminal that they don't really need
    What if Ryanair were prepared to build it? If I recall correctly, their idea for T2 was a much more modest affair. So, they might want to build T3 if it could be done cheaper. I think this idea should be considered in the review.

plodder wrote: »
    What if Ryanair were prepared to build it? If I recall correctly, their idea for T2 was a much more modest affair. So, they might want to build T3 if it could be done cheaper. I think this idea should be considered in the review.

There's lots of examples of vertical integration terminal projects where airlines invest capital and essentially own a stake in the terminal. Could be an option.

I'm sure they'd be welcome to build it but I very much doubt they could do it as cheaply as they'd like, T3 in Dublin would be a huge huge project. Right now I don't feel it would be worth it enough for Ryanair to justify the costs alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Yeah, imagine a low cost Terminal where people have to pay for seats (more for the front row obviously), and throw all their garbage on the floor before leaving the gate.. :D :pac:

Advertisement