Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Peregrine wrote: »
    Is the challenge not against FCC's decision to extend the planning permission by five years? They got their say when the original planning permission was granted and now they're gearing up for round two.

No the DAA is attempting to vary the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

IngazZagni wrote: »
    It would be really awful if this was delayed again. As I type there are delays at Dublin due to the volume of traffic arriving and departing. Aircraft are circling the skies burning excess fuel. A second runway should eliminate these kind of delays. The runway is needed now, let alone 2020 or whenever this could be delayed until.

That's as may be. We all use the airport. But it shouldn't give the DAA carte blanche to change usage and operating hours as it likes in building that second runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

At the busiest times, departures early morning and arrivals late night, is it envisaged that both runways can work together - take offs on both at the same time and landings on both at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Noxegon

One hopes that they'll do something about passport control before then...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It would be really awful if this was delayed again. As I type there are delays at Dublin due to the volume of traffic arriving and departing. Aircraft are circling the skies burning excess fuel. A second runway should eliminate these kind of delays. The runway is needed now, let alone 2020 or whenever this could be delayed until.

That's as may be. We all use the airport. But it shouldn't give the DAA carte blanche to change usage and operating hours as it likes in building that second runway.

Restrictions were based on noise and its changed since then so they have every right to want a change. If the shoe was on the other foot you can be sure those opposed would appeal it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    No the DAA is attempting to vary the conditions.

I know that but the article says it's FCC's decision to extend planning permission that's being challenged.

They haven't done anything about the restrictions yet for it to be appealed in the High Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Actually yesterday morning, some Ryanair flights were redirected to NOC due to high waiting times over DUB!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

yannakis wrote: »
    Actually yesterday morning, some Ryanair flights were redirected to NOC due to high waiting times over DUB!
    There was fog at DUB yesterday morning. My Ryanair flight pushed back about 15 minutes late followed by another tortuous 45 minutes on the ground, mostly spent at the Runway 16 holding point for 28. The silence from the flight deck was deafening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What flights were diverted to Knock as a result of delays at DUB? As far as I was aware, there was only one flight diverted and that was a Ryanair to Shannon

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What flights were diverted to Knock as a result of delays at DUB? As far as I was aware, there was only one flight diverted and that was a Ryanair to Shannon

I don't remember the details now, it was mentioned in a discussion with a friend yesterday evening..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

Flight on Thursday from Dublin wasn't far off 30 minutes from leaving the terminal to taking off because of the congestion on the runway.

T1 was jam packed too with little space left to sit and relax before a flight.

DAA need to ensure they keep up with this growth before it all backfires.

uxiant wrote: »
    Flight on Thursday from Dublin wasn't far off 30 minutes from leaving the terminal to taking off because of the congestion on the runway.

T1 was jam packed too with little space left to sit and relax before a flight.

DAA need to ensure they keep up with this growth before it all backfires.

Was that not due to fog?
    Even with 2 runways you'll always have massive delays in LVP's.

Was that not due to fog?
    Even with 2 runways you'll always have massive delays in LVP's.

Wasn't foggy around the airport but maybe out towards sea there was some that could affect departures.

Yeah Thursday morning had LVP's for quite a time, resulting in very long departure lines and arrival holdings, with even a diversion to Shannon.

I don't think you can use this as a valid reason for saying Dublin is at capacity, in terms of Runway constraints there's still some space. Look at Gatwick, single runway and still many millions more pax than Dublin.

Of course I'm not saying Dublin shouldn't get the second runway, but the situation is not as sure as it's being made out to be. Be glad that we are forward planning for once.

As for the passport control, well that's really disgraceful. Thankfully I've not met anything like that the past 5 times I've flown from Dublin in the last 12 months.

Yeah Thursday morning had LVP's for quite a time, resulting in very long departure lines and arrival holdings, with even a diversion to Shannon.

I don't think you can use this as a valid reason for saying Dublin is at capacity, in terms of Runway constraints there's still some space. Look at Gatwick, single runway and still many millions more pax than Dublin.

Of course I'm not saying Dublin shouldn't get the second runway, but the situation is not as sure as it's being made out to be. Be glad that we are forward planning for once.

As for the passport control, well that's really disgraceful. Thankfully I've not met anything like that the past 5 times I've flown from Dublin in the last 12 months.

The flight was late afternoon not morning. The weather was the best it can be in Ireland really so I'd say it's a sign of the airport beginning to struggle a little at peak hours.

I'm not saying Dublin has reached capacity but the signs are there that at peak hours the single runway beginning to struggle to cope with demand. Using Gatwick as a comparison as to why Dublin can hold off on a new runway doesn't make much sense either as the two airports are in completely different situations. Dublin's runway is old and under a lengthy resurfacing project. If there was another runway this could be completed much quicker. Dublin also has a far shorter runway and has different taxiways.

Movement needs to be made on the runway or Dublin's growth will be restricted. Dublin needs a new runway for different reasons to Gatwick as well as just capacity alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

uxiant wrote: »
    The flight was late afternoon not morning. The weather was the best it can be in Ireland really so I'd say it's a sign of the airport beginning to struggle a little at peak hours.

I'm not saying Dublin has reached capacity but the signs are there that at peak hours the single runway beginning to struggle to cope with demand. Using Gatwick as a comparison as to why Dublin can hold off on a new runway doesn't make much sense either as the two airports are in completely different situations. Dublin's runway is old and under a lengthy resurfacing project. If there was another runway this could be completed much quicker. Dublin also has a far shorter runway and has different taxiways.

Movement needs to be made on the runway or Dublin's growth will be restricted. Dublin needs a new runway for different reasons to Gatwick as well as just capacity alone.

Bear in mind that if flights had been delayed by fog earlier in the day, there would have been knock on effects on any flight operated by a Dublin based aircraft.

You could have had many more flights operating at that time than were scheduled to do so which will impact on the time taken to land/take off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Afaik, Gatwick also has a very different aircraft profile.

In 2016, Gatwick had 275,633 movements and 44m pax.

In the same period, Dublin had 207,520 movements and around 28m pax.

So, their runway is used in a very different way.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

There are a number of things that are very different between Dublin and Gatwick.

The first is the layout, Gatwick has 2 very separate terminals, and a much better layout of stands and access routes to and from the runway, without the ramp congestion issues that cause regular problems at Dublin.

The mix of aircraft that operate in to Gatwick is different to Dublin, there are very few smaller aircraft like EM145's, Dash 8's and ATR's at Gatwick these days, which has a direct effect on the numbers, both passengers and runway usage, the separation issues on both arrivals and departures between the different size aircraft directly impacts the number of flights that can be handled per hour.

The UK use a different ATC system to Ireland, at both Gatwick and Heathrow, the system UK allows a "land after" clearances to be used, which helps to reduce the separation needed between similar size aircraft.

The second runway at Dublin is no longer a nice idea, it's needed to allow Dublin to continue to provide the service that the customers are looking for, but if anyone thinks that the new runway will solve the other issues, they're in dreamland, there are so many other issues around things like aircraft parking, access to stands and landside access that are all going to be ongoing pressure issues for years to come, and that's without adding the issues that the Brexit situation may cause, both good and bad.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Arriving in to Dublin late last night on Ryanair we landed at the 200 gates as we sometimes do. The new segregated arrivals was in use. Looks like a good job. Hopefully they improve the facilities at the 200 gates or at least remove the one way doors from the main departures concourse. A few times my Flybe or CityJet was delayed and the food or drink options are poor stuck there.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/ryanair-opposes-legal-challenges-to-new-320m-runway-at-dublin-airport-35867371.html

An interesting development in 28R! Would be surprised if Ryanair didn't receive a nice incentive to back the DAA? Of course it's in their self-interest, but I'm sure a certain someone in Ryanair was cringing when approving this.

• Advertisement

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/ryanair-opposes-legal-challenges-to-new-320m-runway-at-dublin-airport-35867371.html

An interesting development in 28R! Would be surprised if Ryanair didn't receive a nice incentive to back the DAA? Of course it's in their self-interest, but I'm sure a certain someone in Ryanair was cringing when approving this.

Not at all, MOL knows it needed but of course the cost is what they can't agree on.

He has never had a kind word to say about such legal battles at airports and rightly so which is enough to motivate them to team up with daa.

daa also announced today they will increase the buyout from 20 to 30% above market value properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Just a heads up that satellite imagery on Google maps has been updated recently and shows the progress on the runway nicely. The road diversions look to be progressing well and lots of earthworks already underway

Just a heads up that satellite imagery on Google maps has been updated recently and shows the progress on the runway nicely. The road diversions look to be progressing well and lots of earthworks already underway

I can only see it on Google Earth Pro (desktop) version - imagery is apparently from the future:
    743ftu6.png

Edit: From some spot-checking in various (newbuilds) sites, imagery seems to be approx 1 month old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

I can only see it on Google Earth Pro (desktop) version - imagery is apparently from the future:

Edit: From some spot-checking in various (newbuilds) sites, imagery seems to be approx 1 month old.
    That's an American date format: month/day/year.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

They've even surfaced some of the new road now,passed it yest on way out.
    When you turn right after keelings for st Margaret's there's another building site too,not sure if it's a new road or a storage site

plodder wrote: »
    That's an American date format: month/day/year.
    Dayum!! ifeelstupidnow. :pac:
    Bussywussy wrote: »
    They've even surfaced some of the new road now,passed it yest on way out.
    When you turn right after keelings for st Margaret's there's another building site too,not sure if it's a new road or a storage site

The published closure for Forest Rd was until Fri 7 Jul, so I think they're on track.

There's another realignment going on on the second location you mentioned: https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/North-Runway-Docs/plans-for-roads-in-the-vicinity-of-north-runway.pdf

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

And the site prep for the new ATC tower.

ee28d408a5e7a780432f62219d81c3df.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

743ftu6.png
    May 7th 2017, "Americana" style dating system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

They've now removed the non return doors on the way to the 200 gates. Though it's still not fully finished.

Advertisement