Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

medoc wrote: »
    They've now removed the non return doors on the way to the 200 gates. Though it's still not fully finished.

Is it just me or is this whole change a bit retarded?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Why?

They needed to segregate arriving and departing passengers as it created a potential immigration risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I just walked through the 200 area. It's a bit haphazard but I guess if it works...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

lxflyer wrote: »
    Why?

They needed to segregate arriving and departing passengers as it created a potential immigration risk.

Guess it’s the concept of that middle hub of doors. On one arrival, we waited 10 mins for then to open the arrival doors and close the departure doors.

I would expect them to figure out how to permanently segregate departures and arrivals instead of this bottleneck compromise.

No idea what constraints they had mind you or for how long this solution will remain.

Guess it’s the concept of that middle hub of doors. On one arrival, we waited 10 mins for then to open the arrival doors and close the departure doors.

I would expect them to figure out how to permanently segregate departures and arrivals instead of this bottleneck compromise.

No idea what constraints they had mind you or for how long this solution will remain.

I've not seen what the finished work looks like, but it sounds very like the set up at LHR in the final years of gates 78-90?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

I've not seen what the finished work looks like, but it sounds very like the set up at LHR in the final years of gates 78-90?

*Shudder*

markpb wrote: »
    *Shudder*

Not the long walk - just the doors at each gate to segregate arriving and departing passengers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Not the long walk - just the doors at each gate to segregate arriving and departing passengers!

That's probably the bit they're shuddering at, or the general memories of that desolate place.

The segragation doors are the worst thing if you're airport anxious though. I'd always get to the gate at that place early because of them, even though it was barren.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

MJohnston wrote: »
    That's probably the bit they're shuddering at, or the general memories of that desolate place.

Every memory I have of that place involves standing at those damned doors, watching the stragglers get off a plane so I can get to my gate. Even though I always got there in plenty of time, the wait of unknown duration always made me worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

markpb wrote: »
    Every memory I have of that place involves standing at those damned doors, watching the stragglers get off a plane so I can get to my gate. Even though I always got there in plenty of time, the wait of unknown duration always made me the worst.

I remember on a few occasions the Emergency Stop on the escalator having to be pushed because people kept coming down and had no where to go.

Hell of a place...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

When I was last in the airport a few weeks ago we flew out of the 100 gates on Ryanair and the non return doors were still on the 200 gates. We returned on Ryanair to gate 213 and used the segregated return straight to the arrivals hall. Today on BA we departed at gate 207 and on the way to the gate we bypassed the one way doors which were borded up. I presume work is still ongoing as it looked like a temporary route to the gates. I've yet to encounter issues arriving or departing this pier but in fairness I only use it infrequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are a number of things that are very different between Dublin and Gatwick.

Has DUB got equivalent fire and rescue to LGW? I was struck by the number of vehicles they had on duty (even saw them training) but it makes sense when they have 380s.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,919 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ED E wrote: »
    Has DUB got equivalent fire and rescue to LGW? I was struck by the number of vehicles they had on duty (even saw them training) but it makes sense when they have 380s.

DUB is CAT9 and Gatwick CAT10 as far as I know. Which isn't much!

Theyre 10 alright but a quick google didnt throw up dubs. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

L1011 wrote: »
    DUB is CAT9 and Gatwick CAT10 as far as I know. Which isn't much!

What's the difference between each category?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    What's the difference between each category?
    https://arffports.wordpress.com/2012/11/06/airportcategory/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

O'Leary calls on Attorney General to get a move on with the paperwork.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-calls-on-attorney-general-to-expedite-legislation-giving-power-to-the-iaa-to-monitor-noise-35945984.html

He was interviewed on RTÉ radio 1 just after 10:00 which will probably be on the player for anyone interested.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Ridiculous delays on the ground at Dublin at the moment.
    Can anyone explain to me why some aircraft are waiting 15 minutes on taxiways after landing before pulling on stand?
    Is there a shortage of available stands ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,422 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Locker10a wrote: »
    Ridiculous delays on the ground at Dublin at the moment.
    Can anyone explain to me why some aircraft are waiting 15 minutes on taxiways after landing before pulling on stand?
    Is there a shortage of available stands ?

I often encounter this and it always seems like the stands are free, but you have to wait for a departing AC to get out of the way before access to available stands opens up!!

In conjunction with the new runway, the access ramps/aprons need a major fix as well, as theres no point having a second runway if you still have bottlenecks getting in and out of stands

He was interviewed on RTradio 1 just after 10:00 which will probably be on the player for anyone interested.

http://pca.st/lDsW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

O'Leary calls on Attorney General to get a move on with the paperwork.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-calls-on-attorney-general-to-expedite-legislation-giving-power-to-the-iaa-to-monitor-noise-35945984.html

He was interviewed on RTradio 1 just after 10:00 which will probably be on the player for anyone interested.
    what talking so long with this noise management authority statute?

Little back and forth between these two today:
    Brendan O'Dowd, Irish Airline Polots Association, Paul O'Kane, DAA, Eoghan Corry, Editor Travel Extra

http://pca.st/y45y

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

ED E wrote: »
    Little back and forth between these two today:

http://pca.st/y45y

Neither of the speakers was impressive. The IALPA guy had little to offer in terms of practical solutions and one that he mentioned (in relation to permitting conditional line-up clearances) is more likely an IAA/ATC issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Neither of the speakers was impressive. The IALPA guy had little to offer in terms of practical solutions and one that he mentioned (in relation to permitting conditional line-up clearances) is more likely an IAA/ATC issue.

Nobody is denying there are issues at DUB but daa are right about one thing is airlines are no exactly keen to corporate (some might have good reason) but both are clear there needs to be a review, the problem is how it will be financed.

IALPA were trying to be smart writing to the paper and were shown up on the radio as offering not any solutions.

Many people posting here could of done a better job...

Ironically it's been a good summer for EI on time performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

EchoIndia wrote: »

Indeed, and that doesn't solve much as the IAA recognise it as a 'safety net' after numerous runway incursions at E1, so it isn't likely to change and I can't see it making the congestion dissipate into thin air...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

Any news on the air traffic control tower? Is a start point for construction delayed or are plans proceeding as planned?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Interesting ground work visible on Google Maps which have recently been updated, you can compare it to old imagery going back as far as 1984 in Google Earth. And it seems to some digging and earthworks are underway already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

yannakis wrote: »
    The published closure for Forest Rd was until Fri 7 Jul, so I think they're on track.
    Still closed and I haven't seen much activity the last few weeks. They can't start the runway until the roads are finished. So, is it all being delayed?

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but it looks to me like the new road is a lot narrower than the old one. Or am I imagining that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

plodder wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but it looks to me like the new road is a lot narrower than the old one. Or am I imagining that?

Do you mean the realignment at Forest Rd?

Progress in that junction is minimal since a month really. It was planned to sometime in July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

yannakis wrote: »
    Do you mean the realignment at Forest Rd?
    Yes
    Progress in that junction is minimal since a month really. It was planned to sometime in July.

Advertisement