Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The builders are on holidays for a few weeks, apparently.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

EchoIndia wrote: »
    The builders are on holidays for a few weeks, apparently.
    Usual thing this time of year. (personally always thought this was bizarre)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Tenger wrote: »
    Usual thing this time of year. (personally always thought this was bizarre)

Builders holidays are pretty much a thing of the past but sometimes it makes sense for a whole crew to take their holidays together if there are certain people in the crew with specific skills that are relied on by others, e.g. the driver of a certain type of machine or a health and safety officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,916 ✭✭✭✭L1011

salmocab wrote: »
    Builders holidays are pretty much a thing of the past but sometimes it makes sense for a whole crew to take their holidays together if there are certain people in the crew with specific skills that are relied on by others, e.g. the driver of a certain type of machine or a health and safety officer.

CIF still has recommended holidays including the usual two weeks, this covers up to the ones this month apparently

https://cif.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/20162017.pdf

How often that's actually adhered to I've no idea but I know my brother in law closes his supply-side business for those two weeks due to virtually no trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

L1011 wrote: »
    CIF still has recommended holidays including the usual two weeks, this covers up to the ones this month apparently

How often that's actually adhered to I've no idea but I know my brother in law closes his supply-side business for those two weeks due to virtually no trade.
    I think it's fairly universal with professionals like solicitors and architects as well.

I don't think it explains the stoppage on the runway project though. There hasn't been progress there for longer than two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

plodder wrote: »
    I think it's fairly universal with professionals like solicitors and architects as well.

I don't think it explains the stoppage on the runway project though. There hasn't been progress there for longer than two weeks.

There were roadworks yesterday but, yes, they had stopped for a month. On the western end, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

L1011 wrote: »

Ive worked on large building sites for over 20 years and dont remember a single one closing, some small builders might rather than let their crews work without them.
    Regards the airport due to needing airside passes which are a pain to come by if someone was out for a couple of weeks it might be easier to take holidays together than get a replacement machine driver and get a pass for him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Does anyone have an update on the T2 pre-boarding facility? When is it due to open ? And photos ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

What exactly is the T2 pre-boarding facility?

What exactly is the T2 pre-boarding facility?

https://youtu.be/fgF4q8_05Uk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Locker10a wrote: »

Is it just more gate space or will they be holding kennels like Gatwick use where you are scanned in and are held hostage?

Is it just more gate space or will they be holding kennels like Gatwick use where you are scanned in and are held hostage?

Just more gate space I believe, certain flight will depart from there, you'll hop on a shuttle to get to this gate area when instructed to do so be the info screens, and you'll board your plane from there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Just more gate space I believe, certain flight will depart from there, you'll hop on a shuttle to get to this gate area when instructed to do so be the info screens, and you'll board your plane from there

ughhh not buses :(

won't be long till we're back to the third world prefabs from 2007. I think that was a low point for Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    ughhh not buses :(

won't be long till we're back to the third world prefabs from 2007. I think that was a low point for Dublin.

They're pretty much the same (actually worse imo). They're temporary also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

Does anyone know what flights will be using the pre-boarding facility? Short-haul EI flights I'm guessing? I take it that this will free up Pier 3 a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

VG31 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what flights will be using the pre-boarding facility? Short-haul EI flights I'm guessing? I take it that this will free up Pier 3 a bit.

I imagine short haul in the morning before the wide-bodies leave for the US.
    Weird there are no external pictures available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Naturally no airline will agree to a fancy new pier being built as it would only justify a rise in the fees they pay.
    Frankly I don't see this being vastly different to boarding a flight on a remote stand, something that's very very common across Europe(except the DAA have gone a step further here and improved the facility for this)
    Remote or bus stands have been in use for many years in Rome, Vienna, Frankfurt, Munich, Barcelona, Gatwick, Milan Linate, Faro, those are just a few airports I have personally experienced remote or bus stand being regularly used. So while not ideal it's also a novel and efficient way of freeing up gate space for expansion.

Yeah it won't be that bad but it will be more less impossible to force any increase in charges until the runway is completed. EI were really involved in the design and are happy with it. They want to improve OTP on short haul and a constant shuttle for passengers and boarding via both doors will do it.

They know the benefits with doing both doors on LHR flights.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Naturally no airline will agree to a fancy new pier being built as it would only justify a rise in the fees they pay.
    Frankly I don't see this being vastly different to boarding a flight on a remote stand, something that's very very common across Europe(except the DAA have gone a step further here and improved the facility for this)
    Remote or bus stands have been in use for many years in Rome, Vienna, Frankfurt, Munich, Barcelona, Gatwick, Milan Linate, Faro, those are just a few airports I have personally experienced remote or bus stand being regularly used. So while not ideal it's also a novel and efficient way of freeing up gate space for expansion.

Yeah it won't be that bad but it will be more less impossible to force any increase in charges until the runway is completed. EI were really involved in the design and are happy with it. They want to improve OTP on short haul and a constant shuttle for passengers and boarding via both doors will do it.

They know the benefits with doing both doors on LHR flights.

Boarding with both doors is crucial to speed up boardings and should help a lot.
    However a huge issue for EI and any Dublin based airlines with OTP is taxi times. They are becoming ridiculous at times, with delays of 15 mins after landing for access to stands especially T2 and 45min ques from push back to take off. Granted this is only at certain times but it's still crazy! Becoming worse than the notorious Gatwick. At least they have the excuse of the worlds busiest runway!
    It common now for planes to be closed up and ready to push but held on stand at peak times due to ramp congestion behind them again especially at T2.
    Serious planning needs to go into stand allocation going forward as physically the space around the piers is a bottle neck disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

I was driving by the Boot Inn yesterday and i noticed a piledriver behind the fence where i think the new Air traffic control tower is going...does anyone know if they have started the foundations for this yet or is it still someway off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/examiner-5.jpg

I don't think the Government can imagine just how formidable a joint offensive by Unions and DAA would be.

• Advertisement

737max wrote: »
    http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/examiner-5.jpg

I don't think the Government can imagine just how formidable a joint offensive by Unions and DAA would be.

It's meaningless, Mr Ross and most likely FG won't be in Goverment when they must approve it......

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Interesting article from last year. I know the daa wanted to buy the land they own as part of the T2 project but they would not budge. If T3 was ever to start gathering any real traction it will be one hell of a bun fight over it.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/dubai-backers-in-deal-to-fund-2bn-mcevaddy-terminal-plan-35544011.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

What land do the McEvadys own at the airport?

I am not exactly sure where but they are somewhere to the west. There is another article in today's Indo saying Aer Lingus are unhappy with their treatment in T2 and the US and Gulf carriers are getting priority over them.

I am not exactly sure where but they are somewhere to the west. There is another article in today's Indo saying Aer Lingus are unhappy with their treatment in T2 and the US and Gulf carriers are getting priority over them.

Lot of PR spin from EI in relation to T2. Walsh is training Stephen up to be a pro......

Norwegian using T2 was a bitter pill to swallow!

jimbis wrote: »
    What land do the McEvadys own at the airport?
    Apparently they own the land to the west of the ATC tower and Boot Inn. This had been planned as a location for a new terminal at DUB. Bought it up years ago waiting to sell it on to Aer Rianta/DAA for a pretty penny.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Lot of PR spin from EI in relation to T2. Walsh is training Stephen up to be a pro......

Yep the spin is strong at the moment. It's been about 2 years since I worked in the airport but I always felt the relationship between the daa and EI was steadily deteriorating. I think it was a case of EI getting more and more demanding and the daa caring less about them and more about the US and gulf carriers. When T2 was getting built the daa promised the stars to EI if they moved into it and now they are just another carrier in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

and now they are just another carrier in there.

and rightfully so in my opinion, EI should not be entitled to preferential treatment at DUB. No airline should, they should all be treated as equals.

The more and more that airlines show EI up for what they are (average at best), with better services, the more EI will have to reflect on themselves, and how they've 'fallen' since the IAG takeover. (4 star my ar$e)

But with that being said, I doubt Willie & the IAG board give a flying f**k about the reputation of one of their minor airlines!!
    (when is the 5 year moratorium on LHR slots up?)
    (They got EI for an absolute steal (€1.4Bn minus the €700m EI had in the bank, minus the €600-€700m value on the LHR slots alone))

• Registered Users Posts: 68,916 ✭✭✭✭L1011

minus the €600-€700m value on the LHR slots alone))

The slots weren't worth that much

The figures given generally took the value of a single highly desirable pair suited for longhaul and multipled it by the total set.

Three issues with doing that.

1: You'd flood the market selling the lot at once; so the prices would collapse. No buyer is going to buy slots on the hope of drip-feeding them all out before the third runway opens
    2: Even with major reconfiguration, the slots EI have would not give many suited for longhaul.
    3: That aforementioned third runway will destroy slot value for a period

• Advertisement

Yup. That €6-700m figure quoted was based on a slot pair sold a few months before the IAG bid that were sold for over the normal price. I think it was SAS who sold the slot pair for €40m, double the 'normal' price.

Advertisement