Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Open Up

moloner4 wrote: »
    I can't remember if it was stand 416/417 when I was last there, have they gone further than that?

It's visible on Google Maps. The area in the crudely drawn red circle are new stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Open Up

Open Up wrote: »
    It's visible on Google Maps. The area in the crudely drawn red circle are new stands.

Sorry, won't let me attach the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Fun fact, Legally, there is no curfew at Heathrow. Its a non binding agreement between the airport, residents and London city council regarding LHR’s operating hours (which is what DUB is proposing). If someone wants to depart after the “curfew” then they need permission from ATC, which happens every night. There are no flights scheduled between those hours however.

I read a piece a while ago about noise pollution at DUB and that the issues with noise are actually caused by aircraft waiting to take off with engines running and not aircraft landing/taking off. Something which will be eliminated if the new runway can be used an hour earlier

Fun fact the relevant authorities were about to enforce a full legal restriction set on Heathrow u till the volunteered an alternative that they rarely break! Catogary A aircraft never leave Heathrow between 12-7am only under exceptional circumstances

The DAA are certainly not looking for an agreement on binding or anything involving, residents or the council. They are asking for unlimited night flights

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Fattes wrote: »
    Fun fact, Legally, there is no curfew at Heathrow. Its a non binding agreement between the airport, residents and London city council regarding LHR’s operating hours (which is what DUB is proposing). If someone wants to depart after the “curfew” then they need permission from ATC, which happens every night. There are no flights scheduled between those hours however.

I read a piece a while ago about noise pollution at DUB and that the issues with noise are actually caused by aircraft waiting to take off with engines running and not aircraft landing/taking off. Something which will be eliminated if the new runway can be used an hour earlier

Fun fact the relevant authorities were about to enforce a full legal restriction set on Heathrow u till the volunteered an alternative that they rarely break! Catogary A aircraft never leave Heathrow between 12-7am only under exceptional circumstances

The DAA are certainly not looking for an agreement on binding or anything involving, residents or the council. They are asking for unlimited night flights

It's well known within the aviation industry in the UK that the third runway at Heathrow will never happen and the second runway at Gatwick will also never happen. However what is currently in process is plans to extend the Heathrow curfew. Quiet hours will become less and less over the next few years and residents will face an ultimatum of a third runway or extended night hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

Any idea when the commercial court will decide on the 3 appeals to the north runway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

They are asking for unlimited night flights

Im not certain exactly what the DAA are proposing, but my understanding is they want to open it an hour earlier in the morning than the current restrictions will allow?

Hubs around the world operate in line with their market and location. DXB is an example of a huge hub that is busiest during the night.... DUB is similar in that the target market is an hour ahead and hence the hour earlier departures, this is why AMS, FRA, LHR* are a bad example because they’re in the time zone they serve.

*LHR is in our time zone of course, but an hour closer to continental Europe.

Anyway, my position is that it’s the right decision taking into account the greater social need to allow earlier services! I respect that you may see differently, and that’s what creates good debate on forums such as this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Im not certain exactly what the DAA are proposing, but my understanding is they want to open it an hour earlier in the morning than the current restrictions will allow?

Hubs around the world operate in line with their market and location. DXB is an example of a huge hub that is busiest during the night.... DUB is similar in that the target market is an hour ahead and hence the hour earlier departures, this is why AMS, FRA, LHR* are a bad example because they’re in the time zone they serve.

*LHR is in our time zone of course, but an hour closer to continental Europe.

Anyway, my position is that it’s the right decision taking into account the greater social need to allow earlier services! I respect that you may see differently, and that’s what creates good debate on forums such as this

What greater social need? Genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

What greater social need? Genuine question

Growth of the economy of course, the needs of many outweigh the needs of a few.

Road passed the boot down to 16 is closing at 6pm today. New road opening at same time. 16 ops in use expect if you are out spotting and parking there to be moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

As works on North Runway’s Construction Package 1 are nearing completion, we are now in a position to open the new 2.5km R108 diversion road to the west of Dublin Airport. The new road will open on Friday, October 20, 2017 at around 6 pm. At the same time, in compliance with the previously agreed Extinguishment of Rights of Way, a section of the R108 will close, as indicated on the map below.

https://www.dublinairport.com/north-runway/latest-news-downloads/project-updates/detail/opening-of-new-r108-diversion-road-and-extinguishment-of-rights-of-way-of-section-of-r108

Viewing area also being constructed just west of the old junction, should have great views of the new runway
    We recently made an application to Fingal County Council to undertake works on St. Margaret’s Bypass from 8 am on Monday October 16, to 7 pm on Friday November 10, 2017. These works are essential in order to construct a viewing bay on the north side of the Bypass.

https://www.dublinairport.com/north-runway/latest-news-downloads/project-updates/detail/temporary-roadworks-at-st.-margaret-s-bypass-north

Any idea what the second construction package entails or when it'll begin? I'd assume it'll depend on the court appeals which are due to be decided 'asap' according to the judge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Have the runway resurfacing works being completed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

roadmaster wrote: »
    Have the runway resurfacing works being been completed yet?

Don't think so. Runway 16/34 still frequently used at night on weekdays to allow continued work on 10/28.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

Any idea when the new master plan for Dublin will be produced? they seem to be under pressure from Aer Lingus about taxiways and stands/boarding gates. While the North runway site is ready to go there appears to be nothing else in the pipeline for improvements to existing infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Have the runway resurfacing works being completed yet?

The Notam is valid until April next year IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

Has anyone noticed that half way down 10/28 there is a Bump or Dip, in the last few weeks i have been on 8 flights and on each one you can feel it on take off and landing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

eusap wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that half way down 10/28 there is a Bump or Dip, in the last few weeks i have been on 8 flights and on each one you can feel it on take off and landing

Majority, if not all, runways are like this. You won't notice this usually as a passenger but if you go down to the Swords Rd by ALSAA where you are at the edge of the runway, you can clearly see the sloping of the runway. They aren't always flat by terrain in a sense. There are of course regulations on how much the runway can incline/decline.

12oe4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I think what eusap is referring to is the bump halfway down 28/10 due to resurfacing works. It is notified on the current EIDW Notams as an "uneven surface". They are resurfacing 28/10 overnight and they get a few meters done every night. Where the new surface meets the old there is a noticeable ramp. This work started at the 10 end is moving slowly towards the 28 threshold.
    For many travelling ex DUB it wouldn't have been noticeable as most days 28 is in use and departing aircraft rotated before the site of the works. Now however the work has progressed to a point where we seem to hit this "ramp" at approx 100kts resulting in a fairly unpleasant bump pre- rotation. Conversely on landing on 28 we also reach this point while speed is still high.
    It's not pleasant but it's the only way to resurface 28/10 while maintaining normal daytime ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

I think what eusap is referring to is the bump halfway down 28/10 due to resurfacing works. It is notified on the current EIDW Notams as an "uneven surface". They are resurfacing 28/10 overnight and they get a few meters done every night. Where the new surface meets the old there is a noticeable ramp. This work started at the 10 end is moving slowly towards the 28 threshold.
    For many travelling ex DUB it wouldn't have been noticeable as most days 28 is in use and departing aircraft rotated before the site of the works. Now however the work has progressed to a point where we seem to hit this "ramp" at approx 100kts resulting in a fairly unpleasant bump pre- rotation. Conversely on landing on 28 we also reach this point while speed is still high.
    It's not pleasant but it's the only way to resurface 28/10 while maintaining normal daytime ops.

Thanks that is it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've always found the curves/inclines at BHX to be quite cool/extreme looking. (thats a great photo)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Where they opened the new road at the boot inn how come they didn't resurface the section between there and where the airport fire service training plane is? You think the Americans cluster bombed that section of road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Where they opened the new road at the boot inn how come they didn't resurface the section between there and where the airport fire service training plane is? You think the Americans cluster bombed that section of road!

Cause the airport don’t own that road, it’s owned and maintained by the council so wasn’t part of the original planning works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

billie1b wrote: »

Cause the airport don’t own that road, it’s owned and maintained by the council so wasn’t part of the original planning works

In other words it will never be repaired!!

Drove down there on my motorbike before the split and it was like and obstacle course trying to avoid the bad spots

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

Another step forward:
    The High Court has thrown out three legal challenges against plans for a new €320 million runway at Dublin Airport. [...] The cases have been adjourned to allow the various parties consider the decisions. It is not known if an appeal will be taken against any of the rulings.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/three-court-challenges-to-new-dublin-airport-runway-fail-1.3299585

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Delighted.

Very few things as bad as NIMBY-ism and parish pump politics which delay projects like this.

Great news, I’m surprised someone didn’t put a case in against it stating the one word “Coz”.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jonnybegood

https://youtu.be/AvnJZf586jk
    Dublin Airport has released a video of its runway being resurfaced

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

The closure of part of the road down to the Boot Inn has certainly caused the traffic to back up on St. Margaret's Road, down towards the roundabout at the approach to RWY10. The traffic lights at Dunbro lane went operational this week and all in all it's a deterioration in traffic flow. On a morning like this morning, with persistent rain and flooding, it was tailed back the whole way from roundabout to roundabout. I hope this is not a foretaste of things to come but I fear it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Today was the worst day of traffic in Dublin that I've ever known. I wouldn't use today as a benchmark!!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

Today was the worst day of traffic in Dublin that I've ever known. I wouldn't use today as a benchmark!!

Agreed, but I've noticed it building up since the road at the Boot Inn has closed. I drive that way every day, into and out of work, and I miss driving down parallel to 10-28.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/group-likely-to-appeal-courts-dismissal-of-legal-challenges-to-new-dublin-airport-runway-817290.html

Yesterday lawyers representing 22 individual residents - most with addresses at Kilreesk Lane, St Margaret’s, Co Dublin said the group will seek to appeal the court’s dismissal of their arguments including that the development was illegal and that Fingal Council failed to consider or address their concerns about its effect on their homes and lands.

Advertisement