Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I have solicitor in place before paying deposit on house?

Options
  • 16-05-2013 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I've just agreed a price on a house, had the engineer in to look it over and he says it's all okay. The agent asked me to pop in the deposit but I haven't gotten around to appointing a solicitor yet.

Should I have the solicitor in place before I hand over the deposit, or does it make any difference? It's a cash sale if that matters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Any particular reason why it would be a bad idea to pay the deposit before appointing the solicitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You need a solicitor anyway so best have them on board from the start.
    Also, did you get a full inspection by engineer to include planning compliance check etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

mickdw wrote: »
    You need a solicitor anyway so best have them on board from the start.
    Also, did you get a full inspection by engineer to include planning compliance check etc?

I know the engineer went over the boundary map and said everything was in order there. I suppose it makes sense to get the solicitor in place asap.

Any recommendations for a good, reasonably priced one in Cork? I'd travel further afield too if there were savings to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

You don't have to have a Solicitor in place when paying a deposit as the deposit will be refunded in full if you decide not to proceed with the purchase. Once your deposit is paid the Auctioneer will look for your Solicitor's details so that contracts can be issued.
    You should look for a quotation from your Solicitor to include professional fees, outlay and VAT in writing before proceeding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

The deposit you pay the estate agent is only a reservation deposit. The legal deposit is paid when contracts are drawn up. You need a solicitor to act for you when the contracts are issued by the seller's solicitor. There is little for your solicitor to do at the reservation stage. Still, no harm in having one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I would make sure it was the solicitor handling the deposit as well. My deposit is always accompanied by a solicitor's letter, which lays out the conditions of getting it back if the sale falls through for whatever reason.

Advertisement