Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads are blocking the "my threads" button, among others, on iPad

Options
  • 16-05-2013 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭

Just to give a heads up incase it's gone unnoticed, but the rectangular ads at top top of the screen are not sitting where they should be and come down to obstruct the "my forums" and "my threads" buttons. It's kind of annoying because if you try to click where the buttons usaully are, you click on the ad instead.

I've only noticed this on iPad which I don't use the touch site with, phone site seems fine, though.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Same here, using iPad as well. Seems to be only today as i dont recall it doing that yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

This isn't the correct spot for this thread - we've already got a thread open about updates to our ads in the real Feedback forum. I'll move your posts there now.

So I've got an iPad in front of me here, I'll need more details - What version of iOS are you running? Which browser? What pages display the problem? Have you got some example URLs? Some screenshots would also help greatly (press & hold the menu button then press the power button on the iPad).

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

This isn't the correct spot for this thread - we've already got a thread open about updates to our ads in the real Feedback forum. I'll move your posts there now.

So I've got an iPad in front of me here, I'll need more details - What version of iOS are you running? Which browser? What pages display the problem? Have you got some example URLs? Some screenshots would also help greatly (press & hold the menu button then press the power button on the iPad).

Danny

The newest version of ios6, safari, and it's the main page. URL http://www.boards.ie/?

Pic http://i.imgur.com/1LXNOyl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Having the same problem. Using and iPad 1, version 5.1.1 and I have boards bookmarked. It's the main page and the ads are covering the latest posts/my forums/my threads titles.

The old skins aren't supported and aren't our main theme - pre-deployment testing only occurs on the new Boards.ie skin. However we will see if something can be done if the development cycle permits.

Danny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Still happening:(

Still happening:(

Please see my post above. It may be happening for some time.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

im having that problem using firefox on the pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

If you're using one of the old skins on the site, chances are this sort of thing is going to happen a lot more - we've stated publicly before that we will no longer be supporting them - they take far too much time to modify every time we make a change and they're used by such a minority of our members that it doesn't make sense to spend time working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

Dav wrote: »
    If you're using one of the old skins on the site, chances are this sort of thing is going to happen a lot more - we've stated publicly before that we will no longer be supporting them - they take far too much time to modify every time we make a change and they're used by such a minority of our members that it doesn't make sense to spend time working on it.

so how do i change it to a new skin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

First of all, you'll need to "use forum default" for your skin options. You can do that at the bottom of your "Edit Options" page.

You can then go to your Appearance Settings and tweak the formatting slightly or switch to the dark theme if you find the white one a little harsh on the eyes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Would it be an idea (it may already) to have a big notice on the older skins reminding people of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Just took the advice given, and abandoned my beloved purple skin.

Not happy. This horrible blue crap is hurting my eyes. No, it actually is.

Massive thumbs down guys.

I'm using the old skins for one simple reason - the full site with the new skin is too slow to be usable on the iPhone 4. You might ask why I'm not using the touch site, well I'm not a fan of mobile sites in general.

This issue was resolved as a side effect of some optimisations we made this morning.

I'd just like to remind everybody that things like this are liable to happen in the future and that using the unsupported skins puts you at a lower priority for resolving bugs.

Danny

Advertisement