Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed/plant identification

• 16-05-2013 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi all gardeners

I'm a total noob when it comes to gardening so I need some identification of these plants/weeds in my garden.

I think they are both weeds, especially photo, as it is a real sticky plant and is in a few places around garden and seems to grow up and around other plants.

Thanks for the help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Those images are not opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I can identify weed plants!

Oh, I see. :(

Just re-read your description and I'd say that one of them is goosegrass, sometimes called cleavers. It has a hairy kind of square stem with little pointed narrow leaves and it clings to you if you get near it. You could weed killer it but its easy enough to just pull out in swathes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Apologies. Images now as attachments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

1st one is clever..aka stickle back,as it sticks to your clothes.

• Advertisement

Come on, somebody identify the other one, its annoying me, I know what it is but don't know the name...not silverweed, not pineapple weed...is it some kind of a poppy? Maybe its supposed to be there. The other stuff in the same picture is chickweed, again easy enough to pull up.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

Fumitory? (not fully convinced tho!)

fumitory is much more straggly than that. I think its a poppy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

looksee wrote: »
    Come on, somebody identify the other one, its annoying me, I know what it is but don't know the name...not silverweed, not pineapple weed...is it some kind of a poppy? Maybe its supposed to be there. The other stuff in the same picture is chickweed, again easy enough to pull up.
    Looks like perovskia- russian sage.
    OP hasit got sented leaves when you crush them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

The first one is Galium aparine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

second one is not a poppy, it looks like a type of wild carrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Lon.C

The second one looks like Anthriscus sylvestris-Cow Parsley/Queen Anne's lace.

inocybe wrote: »
    second one is not a poppy, it looks like a type of wild carrot.

Yes I agree its not poppy, it could be a wild parsnip too.

Incidentally did you know that young goosgrass actually tastes quite nice cooked, and makes a good tea? It has lots of other uses too, from acting as a sieve, to washing up(the older plants contain saponin, and they are abrasive).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hostafairy

Second weeds looks like cows parsley if it has a tall white flower .
    Brushwood killer from woodies should kill it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 rustymetal

That second weed looks very similar to Aethusa cynapium something along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

I Was thinking more Poached Egg. Limnanthes douglasii.. But I think the foliage is different...

I don't think it is cow parsley or limonanthes, I think it is wild carrot. If it is wild carrot it will have a long taproot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Lots of those Umbelliferae look very similar and are hard to tell apart.

Wild carrot is one of the few easy-to-identify ones because
    - the flower has a little collar of dark green "hairs" surrounding it like a ruff
    and
    - if you pull one up (quite easy) there is a pointed tap root with an unmistakeable smell of parsnip from it. It's actually the wild ancestor of modern vegetables.

I think "Queen Anne's Lace" is likeliest as garden weed.

Advertisement