Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK VAT question

Options
  • 16-05-2013 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

So I'm buying goods from a UK supplier, and selling to an Irish customer, who happens to have a show in the UK so was having them delivered there direct.
    My supplier is telling me that because they were delivered to the UK, I have to pay UK VAT, Despite me being registered for VAT here in Ireland Is this correct, or if incorrect, has anyone a reference I can point them to???

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

I think they may be correct. From memory there is a provision that the goods actually have to leave the country. You can still reclaim the vat through ros (not the normal vat 3 way) . Send me a pm in the morning to remind me and I will post a link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Or you could just buy the stuff off him without the VAT as normal and arrange the collection yourself. You can direct it to be delivered to the UK address. OK it may not be 100% correct but if its just a one off for a trade show then I don't think it would raise any eyebrows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

SQ2 wrote: »
    So I'm buying goods from a UK supplier, and selling to an Irish customer, who happens to have a show in the UK so was having them delivered there direct.
    My supplier is telling me that because they were delivered to the UK, I have to pay UK VAT, Despite me being registered for VAT here in Ireland Is this correct, or if incorrect, has anyone a reference I can point them to???

Thanks!

You supplier is correct, the goods must leave the local VAT jurisdiction to be VAT free to another EU VAT registerd entity and then reimported.
    Anything else is fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Thanks for the feedback folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Or you could just buy the stuff off him without the VAT as normal and arrange the collection yourself. You can direct it to be delivered to the UK address. OK it may not be 100% correct but if its just a one off for a trade show then I don't think it would raise any eyebrows.

It is the suppliers and not the customers responsibility to ensure that the goods leave the jurisdiction otherwise the supplier is liable for the VAT themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement