Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to heat an office toilet

Options
  • 16-05-2013 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Need your advice, I need to heat an office bathroom better than it currently is. See attached picture of the gents (same in ladies) so two bathrooms need improved heating.

The current heater is a wall panel which is costing us a fortune as its left on all the time (inc weekends) The bathrooms have lots of windows which is a major heat loss but not much I can do about this.

From chatting to our electrician the only options seems to be a storage heater, like this one;

http://www.smartelectrics.ie/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=50&category_id=22

Any advice on this?

8AD5D154809E4BDEBEFF672F06CA6B4D-0000346192-0003249673-00800L-17B0E9DCFCA540ADBE8D3AC3ED6BFB66.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

well storage heating is prob worth considering if it's office hours you need the heat

there's prob good models on the market now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

How bout a nice wood burning stove. You could put it between the urinals to keep the lads warm at work and it would create a lovely ambiance in there

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

buzz11 wrote: »
    How to heat an office toilet

With gas?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

Seriously????? What would you be doing putting extra heating into an office toilet??? How long do your employees tend to stay in the jaxx??? Maybe you might consider a sauna when your at it!!! :):)
    A time clock in the fuse board could be used to control the heater you currently have which you could be set by you for when you think it should be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I think you have been well advised. The existing panel heater seems to incorporate a timer- perhaps it could be adjusted so that it remains on in the normal working l hours. The alternative, as you implied would be a small storage heater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭buzz11

I'm thinking now of a wall mounted infra red heater with an occupancy sensor, this would limit the on time and provide immediate heat....not ideal in that it won't hold heat in the room but a cheaper solution than small storage heaters....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

what way is the ventilation done - does it extract through the bathroom? If so, does the make-up air come from a lobby, which could have nornmal radiator, sized to give enough heat for the bathrooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

that looks like a suspended ceiling , how about an electric 600x600 radiant panel heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭brophis

Anyone ever rig an infra red heater to a motion sensor?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

brophis wrote: »
    Anyone ever rig an infra red heater to a motion sensor?

I have seen it done at smoking areas outside pubs. Most likely a contractor would be required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭buzz11

Lidl had patio infra red heaters a few weeks ago for €89 so I'm on the hunt for these, they would be ideal.

Ventilation is only by the window openings, no extractors at all. The lobby is heated by large storage heaters but double door (small lobby) to each bathroom so heat transfer is minimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    I have seen it done at smoking areas outside pubs. Most likely a contractor would be required.

You,l have to add contactor to that auto spell thing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

buzz11 wrote: »
    Ventilation is only by the window openings, no extractors at all. The lobby is heated by large storage heaters but double door (small lobby) to each bathroom so heat transfer is minimal.

So the major problem with heat loss would possibly be the windows? If I were to make a suggestion for the best solution, it would be use a timed presence controlled ventilation fan in each bathroom, positioned opposite the entrance door / over the WCs, to pull air across the sitters. If there was an undercut of 20mm put on each lobby door, it would allow the air to makeup from the large lobby, and you could have the sotorage heater in large lobby providing the main heat (with maybe the existing instantaneous electric heaters in each WC timed to come on in late afternoon.

May be a less than tasteful solution as it would require coring a hole in each WC to fit the extract fan, but it would certainly control the airflow (and stop cold air coming into the WCs). Also, building regs for present day commercial premises requires active ventilation for WCs, not natural ventilation.

Advertisement