Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemates flaing the download

Options
  • 16-05-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭

I got a new housemate roughly 6-7 weeks ago. Since he arrived he has been downloading like a man possessed.

Now I'm the one who is going to have deal with the fallout as the BB is in my name.

Is there anyway I can limit the amount he downloads. I've already talked to him about it and tbh he doesnt give a flyin.....

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Try chaniging the password.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭psalbmb

If your on the NGB regular, its unlimited download allowance so you won't have to worry, however if its NGB basic, you've only a download allowance of 10GB so I'd suggest upgrading as in the long run, you'd be better off and its only an extra 5 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

You should be able to configure QoS, to limit his bandwidth.
    Also, if you're concerned about the legitimacy of his downloads, and you want to block, say torrenting, you would need something a bit more heavyweight than a basic router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

I got a new housemate roughly 6-7 weeks ago. Since he arrived he has been downloading like a man possessed.

Now I'm the one who is going to have deal with the fallout as the BB is in my name.

Is there anyway I can limit the amount he downloads. I've already talked to him about it and tbh he doesnt give a flyin.....

Cheers

Hi wandatowell

I can inform you of your download allowanceif you would like to PM me your eircom account number? I can understand this would be a concern as when your housemate is downloading allot this can reduce the download speeds on your device.

All I can suggest to the best of myknowledge is changing the WEP key (wireless encryption protection key) meaning your housemate cannot access your wifi. If you wish to do this please contact broadband support on 1890260260 (option 0) for advice/assistance with this.

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Hi wandatowell

I can inform you of your download allowanceif you would like to PM me your eircom account number? I can understand this would be a concern as when your housemate is downloading allot this can reduce the download speeds on your device.

All I can suggest to the best of myknowledge is changing the WEP key (wireless encryption protection key) meaning your housemate cannot access your wifi. If you wish to do this please contact broadband support on 1890260260 (option 0) for advice/assistance with this.

Regards

Al
    And by WEP, you obviously meant WPA, Alan, right?

WEP is completely insecure, can be hacked by skiddies using freely available tools and should not be used by anyone, ever. In fact, anyone advising it should be held liable for any resulting incursions.

Which is why I know you meant WPA, Alan, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

gerryk wrote: »
    And by WEP, you obviously meant WPA, Alan, right?

WEP is completely insecure, can be hacked by skiddies using freely available tools and should not be used by anyone, ever. In fact, anyone advising it should be held liable for any resulting incursions.

Which is why I know you meant WPA, Alan, right?

Hi gerryk,

My mistake, I got the two mixed up when advising Al,

Yes WPA as secure as opposed to WEP.

Here is the info & tutorials  - http://bit.ly/111z4N6

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 42 offmeheadpal

Do you have the new D1000 modem (black with 2 ariels) ?
    this has better QoS than previous modems, basically means his downloading shouldnt cause as much problems, but it still may cause some.
    call tech support on 1890 260 260, they are giving out this new modem for free but only for a limited time

Advertisement