Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on leaving a rented property.

Options
  • 16-05-2013 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hiya, I am looking for advice on leaving a rented property, the landlord is asking me to share the cost of several expensive fancy bulbs in the house which I know where broken before I moved in, I have no problem contributing towards bulbs which broke during my stay there.
    Am I been petty to only pay for what broke when I stayed there or is this fair of him.

Also when I moved in I paid to rid of rubbish which was not mine, now I am leaving and the bin is less than half full, my housemate wants to use the bin for the next 2 weeks to fill it and ask the landlord to charge me as it is my turn next to buy the bin tag. Should I tell her to feck off or pay it to avoid an argument with the landlord who will no doubt agree with her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Bulbs are the landlords responsibility, I wouldn't pay anything.

RE the bins I'd leave 50% of the cost of a tag and let the remaining tenant pay for the rest as she'll be the one filling the bin.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

Bulbs are the landlords responsibility, I wouldn't pay anything.

RE the bins I'd leave 50% of the cost of a tag and let the remaining tenant pay for the rest as she'll be the one filling the bin.

The reason I was happy to contribute for broken bulbs was the landlord told me it was my responsibility, thanks for letting me know it is his problem.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Bulbs are the LLs reponsibility. That's a new one. If a bulb goes, the tenant replaces it. If they haven't done so at the end of their lease, I think it's reasonable to deduct the cost from the deposit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Bulbs are the LLs reponsibility. That's a new one. If a bulb goes, the tenant replaces it. If they haven't done so at the end of their lease, I think it's reasonable to deduct the cost from the deposit.

But if they are expensive BER low energy blubs at 9 quid a pop....?
    Surely the landlord would be responsible for the bulbs?...its fixtures and fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Bulbs are absolutely not the landlords problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Bulbs are absolutely not the landlords problem.

Surely, then, if the next tenant wants to have light, they can buy their own bulbs.

Surely the landlord would be responsible for the bulbs?...its fixtures and fittings.

Light bulbs are not fixtures and fittings. And even the best low energy bulbs can be got for a good bit less than €9, all OP has to get is the cheapest type, Tesco value will do. And give your housemate half the cost of the tag.
    This is a non issue.

Well i bought the expensive 9 quid a pop bulbs....and when i am forced to move from my home of 10 years i am taking them with me!!....and buy a 4 pack of cheap Tesco bulbs....feck that!!

Some are fancy design bulbs, but most are GU10 bulbs which in Tesco, are €6.99 each we would need 10 bulbs in the whole house only 3 of these broke when I was living here and 3 of us live here and the landlord is putting pressure on us to set up a kitty, the others are happy to pay for a quite life and putting pressure on me also. I was told by the landlord the tenant is responsible for all of the bulbs and not his problem. it would cost me at least €25 on bulbs.

The LL shouldn't have to tell you to set up a kitty!!! Did you tell the LL when you moved in that some bulbs weren't working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

9 quid a pop? Bargain. Have you seen how much decent GU10 LEDs are? :eek:

The LL shouldn't have to tell you to set up a kitty!!! Did you tell the LL when you moved in that some bulbs weren't working?

He knew some bulbs didn't work but said set up a kitty with the other housemates and get them. He did not care that about 6 of them were broken on my 1st day and it is not fair for me to pay for something which was broken when I arrived and expect me now to pay for them. No problem if it is the law to replace a bulb which breaks while I live there. I feel he is using me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

They are usually interchangeable. If the tenant wants cheaper electric bills they can buy the expensive bulb, if not then a normal halogen will do. (I can't believe we are actually discussing this)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Sarn

I know in my place I've replaced all of the bulbs that went. However, I've replaced them with the cheapest available. It is unreasonable to be expected to pay for bulbs that were gone when you moved in.

I bought the low energy bulbs myself for one reason....they last years!, i was sick to death of buying cheap tesco bulbs and them blowing up every few months, and of course the newer bubls save on electricity etc. My [soon to be ex]bedroom bulb has been going strong nay on 5 years now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I would expect to have a full compliment of working bulbs when I move into a property, but after that I would never even dream of asking the landlord to replace a bulb. Unless its something rare and expensive that should not be expected to go (and I dont mean a €9 long life bulb from Tescos...) then I think a tenant would have some nerve expecting the landlord to replace bulbs for them!

Advertisement