Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

off-grid Charlesland

Options
  • 16-05-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Imagine we buy solar panels in the bulk, imagine two or three vertical (cone style) design wind turbines in the middle of the Charlesland... imagine all lower bills (or no bills) for everyone within the community.

We have engineers, lawyers, plumbers, electricians - we could do it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

how much is in the sinking fund?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

dr ro wrote: »
    how much is in the sinking fund?

Its not really relevant because under law you would have to maintain the sinking fund

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

tp25 wrote: »

We have engineers, lawyers, plumbers, electricians - we could do it...

and surveyors too...all that advertising the Society does and still people forget us :(

Realistically speaking I don't think wind turbines would be quiet enough...but certainly there are plenty of roof planes for photovoltaics. No need for plumbers with these bad boys, just an electrician to hook it all up and change the electricity meter to a smart or bidirectional interval meter. Plenty of scope in exempt development planning regs for putting in solar panels so planning shouldn't be an issue either. So yes, let's buy in bulk, each house is pretty much the same so it'll be a standard install across the board. Hopefully we'll pump enough kWatts back onto the grid and get a big fat cheque at the end of the year?! Disclaimer: Don't rely on this information.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

isn't photo-voltaic fairly unreliable in Ireland (there's a reason why they're building solar-harvesting plants in the Sahara and windfarms in Ireland)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Sand in wind turbines wouldn't be good! Like anything, if correctly designed and installed they'll work well. There's been too many people using up grant money (and their own) without properly assessing their options. A site survey by a competent professional (not a contractor selling the stuff) would let you know what's best!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Its not really relevant because under law you would have to maintain the sinking fund

can't we borrow against the sinking fund though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

dr ro wrote: »
    can't we borrow against the sinking fund though.

I doubt it but I am not sure but which sinking fund - There must be 5 or 6 in Charlesland - It would be complex very complex

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

A huge bicycle, middle of the green, everyone takes a turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Lidl are selling solar powered lights. This could be an illuminating start. :D

• Advertisement

ciaran67 wrote: »
    A huge bicycle, middle of the green, everyone takes a turn.

this should be standard around Ireland

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

tp25 wrote: »
    Imagine we buy solar panels in the bulk, imagine two or three vertical (cone style) design wind turbines in the middle of the Charlesland... imagine all lower bills (or no bills) for everyone within the community.

Great idea, here is an example of how well it can all work:

Advertisement