Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 100 [CW - US] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I thought
    Roan was dead? Was he not seriously stabbed or beheaded or something when he was pretending to bring Clarke back as a prisoner?

Apparently not...
    One of the first questions that was asked was the fate of Roan and Indra, and while neither are in the best of conditions both are still alive apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Zachary McGowan needs a better show than the 100 tbh, he was excellent in Black Sails. This role is a bit of a step down imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Returns on Wednesday February 1st

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I had completely forgotten about this, feels like a long time since Series 3 for some reason? Looking forward to it though, despite last seasons missteps. One of those shows I recommend while adding huge caveats about the start of Season 1 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭budhabob

pixelburp wrote: »
    I had completely forgotten about this, feels like a long time since Series 3 for some reason? Looking forward to it though, despite last seasons missteps. One of those shows I recommend while adding huge caveats about the start of Season 1 :D

I gave up mid way through season 1, while i enjoyed it, it didnt grab me. Maybe i need to return to it based on what I've read on here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

budhabob wrote: »
    I gave up mid way through season 1, while i enjoyed it, it didnt grab me. Maybe i need to return to it based on what I've read on here.

Yup, do: the first 3-4 episode are dreadful, there's no masking it, and it's only in the back-half of Season 1 that the weirdly Twilight-esque pretensions towards the teenybopper market are thoroughly dropped. It was never unwatchable but the tone was a little too odd. Season 2 is when things get pretty intense.

I'd love to know more about the production & behind-the-scenes, because the gear-shift during Season 1 was so pronounced it had to have been a conscious decision by the writers / producers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'd love to know more about the production & behind-the-scenes, because the gear-shift during Season 1 was so pronounced it had to have been a conscious decision by the writers / producers.

I'm just stabbing a guess here but I believe the series was based on a book. The book was supposed to be the first in another attempt at a YA franchise series but the TV series was put into production before any more were written. I believe the book only covers the first couple of days on the ground, so it's possible they were working off the book initially with the TV show but very quickly 1)ran out of source material and 2)realised there were more interesting ways to go.

That said I do think they changed some of the characters from the book, created some new ones too, so maybe they had always planned to go that way eventually but still had to work with the original source material.

The new trailer looks good. I really didn't enjoy S3, there was just too much going on, too much separation of characters too. That only works if the viewer is equally invested in each part of the story and I just wasn't. I'm hoping S4 is a return to the good stuff of S1 and most of S2.

First ep of S4 was pretty good, I thought.

I am getting a bit tired of the characters constantly being split up though. I find I don't care much for some of the minor characters so jumping between groups can really kill an episode depending on who is where.
    Also, I know the kids are great at surviving and all that but isn't the science stuff something they should have the grown ups working on too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

watched the first few episodes of season 1 but it never clicked , is it worth getting into this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

watched the first few episodes of season 1 but it never clicked , is it worth getting into this?

Yes, it really picks up about episode 5/6 or Season 1 and gets consistently better as the season progresses. Second half of Season 1 is great and Season 2 is class. Season 3 was a bit disappointing compared to Season 2, but overall still very good television. Season 4 just kicked off, but looking promising so far.

Gonna just quote my reply from the same question only 5 posts back :D
    Yup, do: the first 3-4 episode are dreadful, there's no masking it, and it's only in the back-half of Season 1 that the weirdly Twilight-esque pretensions towards the teenybopper market are thoroughly dropped. It was never unwatchable but the tone was a little too odd. Season 2 is when things get pretty intense.
    [...]

Season 2 was when everything got cranked to 11 and definitely the show's high point thus far. Haven't watched the first of Season 4 yet, and while Season 3 showed a distinct dip in quality, Season 2 had already got me hooked enough to forgive an inconsistent wobble here & there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Thanks lads, tbh it was that weird love triangle twilight vibe that turned me away after a few episodes

Thanks lads, tbh it was that weird love triangle twilight vibe that turned me away after a few episodes

Yeah, it seemed at the start that they didn't know 100% where they wanted to go with the show. The love stuff stays around too but it's never at the forefront of the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Decent opening episode. Don't know how they plan on stopping the meltdowns. Though with the way the timelines go in this show, we'll have another 3 seasons at least before the 6 months are up.

I thought Jasper was going through with it as a way to kickstart the season with a charcater death.

Well obviously they'll find a way to cancel out the radiation, otherwise it's going to be very boring going forward with about 100 people on the station the whole time.

Seeing the butterfly in the opening scene made me think they never followed through on the tease early on of mutants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Thought the slave story was awfully done, would've taken five minutes to stick them in another room out of sight and they wouldn't have been any wiser, didn't get any better after that.

Maybe they'll revisit it but I thought it odd that they didn't consider leaving the generator where it was and relocating everyone to Farm Station. The same logic applies to it as does to the Ark. Also someone mentioned specifically that the room the generator was in was designed to protect the rest of the ship if the generator was to blow, so the idea that it could help protect from radiation should have at least been discussed, I thought.

Interesting episode.

On Luna....
    Are they going down the Mt. Weather harvesting blood route to save their own people. I suppose the fact that there's only one of her, that they know of, would make that impossible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,834 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see Clarke and her Mother are trying to out chest each other more and more this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Can I ask where people are seeing these US versions?
    When will it be this side of the pond?

Can I ask where people are seeing these US versions?
    When will it be this side of the pond?

E4 are usually fairly quick to air it. I haven't seen a return date but I'd imagine it's not too far away.

Should be interesting going forward now that the list is made.

I see Clarke and her Mother are trying to out chest each other more and more this season.

I don't like your tome. You say that like it's a bad thing. :pac: Clarke wins anyway.

Clarke with the struggle of thinking of the names of the extras.
    "Ummm... Redbeard. Ah.. Wonky Eye Lady.... Bob!"

How long until someone finds the list or its existence/need is revealed?

They do have great internet connection anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Should be interesting going forward now that the list is made.

Of course, it will fall into the wrong hands at some stage.

Not really a spoiler if you've seen the trailer for next week but. .....
    it looks like Jasper finds the list in the next episode.

Bit far fetched that
    Octavia survived all of that. I bet she dies anyway

Bit far fetched that
    Octavia survived all of that. I bet she dies anyway

I think the show has always taken a little dramatic licence in its own logic; injuries being as severe or fatal as the plot demands. Locations seem to suffer the most & distances are frequently very elastic: wasn't Alie's island off the coast from a desert? Yet now it seems surrounded by the same Canadian forests that the rest of the show takes place in. Hmm!

Enjoying this season more than last years in general though: there's a definite trajectory in the plot that's keeping the narrative focused and the stakes heightened. Hard to see how things pan out and with different options on the table it brings a nice unpredictability that feels fairly organic.

That said, maybe it came to other people sooner but The 100 has definitely become something of a trope in of itself; there's no situation that isn't instantly made worse than it could be, no promise of a happy development that can't be undermined in the last act by a betrayal or redshirt death.

It has got to the point where the most surprising thing The 100 could do would be to have a simple problem-escalation-solution plot, where everybody comes out OK at worst, happy at best. Nobody ever really gets much of a win, and it skirts a very fine line between a survivalist drama and the kind of hopeless nihilism other shows like the Walking Dead wallow in.

• Advertisement

^ Fair point.

At this stage the only deaths I would find surprising would be Clarke or Bellamy.

Advertisement