Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 100 [CW - US] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And where did Maddie come from? At first I thought was her kid, but since we know she hasn't been that way inclined for a while, that's not the case. Also older than 6 years.

This prison transport is making it like Lost in how they just add to the cast even though there aren't meant to be any more people around. I'm guessing some or all of the 7 are on board and that's how the ship knew Earth was okay to visit.

Surprised we didn't see more of the bunker, but I guess it's better that we don't just get the usual fighting between clans.

She's a night blood child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But where did she come from since Luna was the last? I've decided that she isn't real and just in Clarke's head.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    But where did she come from since Luna was the last? I've decided that she isn't real and just in Clarke's head.

Yeah that's possible but it's not far fetched that their would be unknown nightbloods in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

There is no problem that Raven can overcome, it's borderline comical. So much 'tension' throughout due to the multiple obstacles that they encountered, but it's cool as they're all trained up and totally familiar with every piece of equipment that needs sorting.

Clarke making it back to the bunker despite a hole in her face shield and the death wave a few metres away? Yeah, go Clarke. She must be special like that little patch of grass and trees that somehow survived untouched also.

Coming near the end I thought to myself a few aliens showing up now would be the cherry on top of it all. Wasn't too disappointed lol

Glad Bellamy saved Ekko, I was on the edge of my seat as that wee bit played out.

Roll on next series for more nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha, this a bit OT, was just talking randomly about The 100 and when you think about it, Harper is the true survivor on the show, not Clarke, Belemy or the rest: she basically outlasted every other background character & the grisly fates that befell those redshirts on the show, eventually graduating to being a main character. Everyone else started off 'main', a protected species so to speak ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ha, this a bit OT, was just talking randomly about The 100 and when you think about it, Harper is the true survivor on the show, not Clarke, Belemy or the rest: she basically outlasted every other background character & the grisly fates that befell those redshirts on the show, eventually graduating to being a main character. Everyone else started off 'main', a protected species so to speak ...

While I like the sentiment, Harper isn't the only background character to have survived since the beginning.

Miller and Jackson have also been there since the very beginning as secondary background characters who have gradually evolved into bigger characters over the course of 4 seasons too though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just got around to watching the finale there now. I'm not sure how I feel. I was pretty sure Clarke was going to get left behind or die, or both, so wasn't that surprised to see it happen. Interesting that they skipped 6 years and not the 5 we expected.
    I'd stab a guess that the new ship is a similar setup to the original drop ship and now Clarke and whoever's left in the bunker are in the place of the Grounders rather than the space people. It's difficult to tell what the set up for next season will be now. Are we going to see everyone reunited or is it just going to be Clarke against the world next season?

I agree with the poster who said the back end of this season has seen a return to form for the show, I've been looking forward to the new episodes each week which wasn't the case last season. Shame we have to wait so long for next season now.

I just realised the parallel with S1 finale of Clarke having to close the drop ship door and leave Bellamy (and Finn) "behind". Here we have Bellamy having to close the launch pad doors and leave Clarke behind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

[...]
    I'd stab a guess that the new ship is a similar setup to the original drop ship and now Clarke and whoever's left in the bunker are in the place of the Grounders rather than the space people. It's difficult to tell what the set up for next season will be now. Are we going to see everyone reunited or is it just going to be Clarke against the world next season? [...]

I suspect we'll get a 'multiple perspectives' set of arcs next season, catching up with the 3 main groups (Clarke, Bunker & Space) and how this mysterious Elegius Corporation affects the status quo. At first glance Elegius appears vastly superior technology-wise, based on that pretty futuristic craft anyway, and given it has a very deliberate purpose as a prisoner transport, it implies to me that a) there's more than craft out there and b) the corp. is extensive enough that it requires prisoner logistics :D Lunar penal colony perhaps; maybe the Corp itself is gone and the prisoners escaped in the ship...

So to really jump into Speculation Corner: perhaps Elegius are some corporation-run 'nation' who had been quietly ticking away until Clarke & co. wrecked the world; the show has often flirted with the notion of right, wrong & whether Clarke & her decisions made her one or the other; it'd be a unique spin if Sky-crew & the Grounders were seen as the definitive antagonists this time, a reverse Mount Weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

So to really jump into Speculation Corner: perhaps Elegius are some corporation-run 'nation' who had been quietly ticking away until Clarke & co. wrecked the world; the show has often flirted with the notion of right, wrong & whether Clarke & her decisions made her one or the other; it'd be a unique spin if Sky-crew & the Grounders were seen as the definitive antagonists this time, a reverse Mount Weather.

Was on The100 sub reddit and discovered that Elegius Corporation has been mentioned before on the show.
    Basically Becca first developed what we know as nightblood for the Eligius mining corporation that were on long duration space missions with criminals put into hypersleep and given nightblood to protect against solar radiation

https://www.reddit.com/r/The100/comments/5x2o5o/s4_spoilers_holy_balls/?st=J33S39Y3&sh=d319d75b

Spoiler tagged it just in case people don't want to know

I suspect we'll get a 'multiple perspectives' set of arcs next season, catching up with the 3 main groups (Clarke, Bunker & Space) and how this mysterious Elegius Corporation affects the status quo. At first glance Elegius appears vastly superior technology-wise, based on that pretty futuristic craft anyway, and given it has a very deliberate purpose as a prisoner transport, it implies to me that a) there's more than craft out there and b) the corp. is extensive enough that it requires prisoner logistics :D Lunar penal colony perhaps; maybe the Corp itself is gone and the prisoners escaped in the ship...

Would be interesting indeed. You've basically got the original set up with Sky people, Grounders and Mountain Men, with the bunker people being the Mountain Men now. It seems like there's been minimal recovery on earth too, despite it being a year past livable again, so I'd assume that conflict will come into it too. Small space, many people etc.
    Was on The100 sub reddit and discovered that Elegius Corporation has been mentioned before on the show.
    Basically Becca first developed what we know as nightblood for the Eligius mining corporation that were on long duration space missions with criminals put into hypersleep and given nightblood to protect against solar radiation

https://www.reddit.com/r/The100/comments/5x2o5o/s4_spoilers_holy_balls/?st=J33S39Y3&sh=d319d75b

This would also tie into what I said above. When the 100 originally came down from space their space blood made them better suited to survive the radiation levels still on earth than the mountain men. Now we'll have a new group of humans with even better blood on a still desolated and possibly radiated planet where they're the ones better equipped to survive.

I read a review of the finale, on Forbes, of all places, talking about how great a finale it was because they didn't try to lie to the audience about their main character being dead. The twist being that she's the only one we know for sure is still alive. It's like we were saying earlier in the thread, after S5 was announced, it kind of takes the suspense out of the end of days plot given we know they'll be back next year. The way they did that ending though still managed to leave a lot of threads hanging. We know the bunker people were alive up until the wave hit, beyond that we know nothing. We know Bellamy and co made it into space initially but we don't know they're still alive. Given the time jump and possibility for flashbacks next season the actors could still all be on the show as regulars but technically their characters are all dead in the 6 years later timeline! It's practically impossible to predict where S5 will go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

There many not be showing who is a live and returning for for Season 5 but I don't think any of the audience would believe that they are going to kill off any of the bunker or space station dwellers off-screen, between seasons. Separating Clarke from everyone else has been done before at the end of season 2 so does feel a bit of a lazy retread of that.

There many not be showing who is a live and returning for for Season 5 but I don't think any of the audience would believe that they are going to kill off any of the bunker or space station dwellers off-screen, between seasons. Separating Clarke from everyone else has been done before at the end of season 2 so does feel a bit of a lazy retread of that.

It's not really a retread though as the circumstances are completely different. Clarke doesn't know if she actually got the Ark powered up because the screen died before it sent. She's hoping they made it but she doesn't actually know. Likewise they assume she's dead. Also 6 years is a huge amount of time, especially when you think that everything from S1-4 only covered maybe a year of time. She's been alone, or with this kid, for more time than she spent with anyone else, bar her mother. There's potential for huge character change and shifts in relationship dynamics now. It has essentially rebooted the show in a really smart way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its going to be a very gloomy setting if all the landscape is supposed to be destroyed. Lots of quarry scenes ahead?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    its going to be a very gloomy setting if all the landscape is supposed to be destroyed. Lots of quarry scenes ahead?

Interior scenes, maybe? I'd assume it's cheaper to shoot on sets on a sound stage than to shoot everything on location.

silverharp wrote: »

Something tells me a miraculous oasis will be discovered, or something of that ilk, over which the 13-tribes and the Elegius faction will be at odds. Either that or it'll be a scrap for that tiny portion Clarke was presumably living off (I guess the land isn't too irradiated for food, water etc.)

Interesting, and reads legitimate; I know this is a show that has already featured a malevolent AI n' all, but that theory
    feels almost too Sci-Fi. I dunno, mining penal colonies on asteroids seems like something out of The Expanse not The 100 :D So I guess the only real question, assuming that Reddit is on the money, is whether those onboard are escaped criminals, staff, or a mix of both. Sometimes, The 100 feels like it's something of a genetic successor to Battlestar Galactica: the presence of prisoners as a faction reminds me a little of the Astral Queen / Tom Zarek from BSG ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Any reason why Jaha was on the list? What skills would he bring to the table to to be automatically saved- definitely not leadership.
    He found the bunker and is an engineer ,as much as an asshat as he has been he does deserve to stay as he has been ridiculously resourceful when required

I see Echo has been promoted to regular cast for S5. Hardly surprising given she's ended up in space with the rest of them. I am surprised to see how many people don't like her character though. I think she's been a great addition this season and I especially love her interactions with Bellamy, which funnily enough seems to be the reason a lot of people dislike her.

I think there's a good chance of flashbacks, either throughout the whole season, or one or two dedicated episodes.

I don't think they've started filming for next season yet so no surprise they've nothing new to show in that "sizzle reel".

Comic-Con does not come at a good time for The 100 in that respect.

• Advertisement

New cast member for S5 and a recast for Clarke's "daughter", which is good because the one who played her in the finale of S4 annoyed me, even in her brief screen time.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/news/a836030/peaky-blinders-jordan-bolger-joining-the-100-series-5/

Casting news
    Ivana Milicevic will be playing Charmaine Diyoza, one of the “mysterious criminals” aboard the prison ship.

EW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Deadly. She was one of the best things about Banshee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

I love the show but I can't for the life of me figure out why Clarke and the main characters fight so hard for the survival of Skikru. Nearly the entire population of Arcadia is a useless who alternate between lynch mobs, treason and general panic.

I know they exist for the heroes to have a people to save but the writers should make them a people worth saving.

I'm on the last few episode of season 4 and I hope Jasper dies soon or at the very least someone just slaps him. In two season no-one has simply said to him that he is just a whinge bag. :P

I'm on the last few episode of season 4 and I hope Jasper dies soon or at the very least someone just slaps him. In two season no-one has simply said to him that he is just a whinge bag. :P

I thought the same about Jasper originally but then I read a piece about the character and how he's basically suffering from depression and in real life we often take that attitude with people, snap out of it, man up etc. And eventually we get fed up with the person and only look at their situation in terms of how they're making us feel. It's a very difficult story to tell on TV because it can bring story arcs down and get a bit "annoying" but I kind of felt bad for wishing Jasper would just hurry up and die too.

I think Jasper was a very difficult needle to thread; he was most definitely suffering from severe depression, there's no doubt about it & was pretty unflinching sometimes at just how deep it had cut him - particularly given how much the court jester he was at the start of the series. The scriptwriters really ground him into the dirt. But at the same time, if the show was trying to parallel that declining emotional state with a real life message, I never saw it & I suspect wasn't there to begin with.

The scripts frequently wrote him as nothing more a fatalistic roadblock, someone who had ... narratively given up I guess, stopped trying to rebuild the world in some fashion, and decided to just let the apocalypse finish the job. The writers didn't seem that interested in trying to help or save him, or draw any parallels with real-life depression & mental health issues, instead simply presented him as the other side of the coin who shrugged his shoulders and asked "why are we trying to save a proto-civilisation this wretched?"

^ I agree that they didn't really delivery the story that well. The article I read was written by someone who I think perhaps suffered from depression themselves so I think they reacted to it with a lot of their own personal stuff attached. It just made me rethink my initial harsh opinions of Jasper in S3 and S4.

S2 of You're The Worst dealt with depression really well. One of the main characters was really struggling with it and while they could be frustrating and annoying at times, and other characters got annoyed or fed up with them, there was never a point where you stopped caring about them. Which is where, I think, The 100 went wrong with Jasper.

It's very difficult to do a story like that well on a genre show with a massive ensemble cast. There's only so much time we can spend with Jasper each week so every time he's on screen they're trying to get this point across and it becomes repetitive and kind of takes over any other aspects of the character.

Edit: Also, I don't think the article I read was saying The 100 was trying to tell that story with Jasper. It was more a reaction to the viewers reaction to his story. If that makes sense.

I thought the same about Jasper originally but then I read a piece about the character and how he's basically suffering from depression and in real life we often take that attitude with people, snap out of it, man up etc. And eventually we get fed up with the person and only look at their situation in terms of how they're making us feel. It's a very difficult story to tell on TV because it can bring story arcs down and get a bit "annoying" but I kind of felt bad for wishing Jasper would just hurry up and die too.

Yes, I get that he was suffering depression but in two seasons no character confronted him on his moping around/self-pity (as depression is often viewed) or even from a point of understanding or concern, which should have been Monty. Even if we saw people get annoyed with him it would have been something.

I get what you are saying that in real life people give up on dealing with a person, but in the show no-one actually tried to deal with him. Yes, they are all quite busy with various threats but I don't think any did try to talk to him.

It is more what was missing in other people dealing with Jasper, not the performance itself.
    I think Jasper was a very difficult needle to thread; he was most definitely suffering from severe depression, there's no doubt about it & was pretty unflinching sometimes at just how deep it had cut him - particularly given how much the court jester he was at the start of the series. The scriptwriters really ground him into the dirt. But at the same time, if the show was trying to parallel that declining emotional state with a real life message, I never saw it & I suspect wasn't there to begin with.

The scripts frequently wrote him as nothing more a fatalistic roadblock, someone who had ... narratively given up I guess, stopped trying to rebuild the world in some fashion, and decided to just let the apocalypse finish the job. The writers didn't seem that interested in trying to help or save him, or draw any parallels with real-life depression & mental health issues, instead simply presented him as the other side of the coin who shrugged his shoulders and asked "why are we trying to save a proto-civilisation this wretched?"

Well, I did agree with Jasper "let it all die" attitude when it comes to Arcadia. Skikru are pretty much the worst people on the planet and I can't see why Clarke goes to such lengths to save them. :P

^ I agree that they didn't really delivery the story that well. The article I read was written by someone who I think perhaps suffered from depression themselves so I think they reacted to it with a lot of their own personal stuff attached. It just made me rethink my initial harsh opinions of Jasper in S3 and S4.

S2 of You're The Worst dealt with depression really well. One of the main characters was really struggling with it and while they could be frustrating and annoying at times, and other characters got annoyed or fed up with them, there was never a point where you stopped caring about them. Which is where, I think, The 100 went wrong with Jasper.

It's very difficult to do a story like that well on a genre show with a massive ensemble cast. There's only so much time we can spend with Jasper each week so every time he's on screen they're trying to get this point across and it becomes repetitive and kind of takes over any other aspects of the character.

Edit: Also, I don't think the article I read was saying The 100 was trying to tell that story with Jasper. It was more a reaction to the viewers reaction to his story. If that makes sense.

I think the intent must have been to show depression though - if not that, then what? Japer becomes a jerk because he isn't ever going to get laid again?

I just honestly found it extremely annoying, as I said above because no one actually reacted to him in any understandable way, and it took up time in the story that could have expanded on other characters, especially in the end when it comes to nothing really in the overall story but a very nice scene for Monty.

On other matters. Clarke comes up with the idea to take the Bunker for Skikru alone and then is pretty okay with Kane and Octavia being outside. How many genocidal schemes and murders does this girl have come up? :P

Also, is it just me or was Jaha acting a bit unhinged in that episode? What he did seemed a bit of a leap from how he had been behaving previously in the Season - or did I miss something in the performance?

I think the intent must have been to show depression though - if not that, then what? Japer becomes a jerk because he isn't ever going to get laid again?

I just honestly found it extremely annoying, as I said above because no one actually reacted to him in any understandable way, and it took up time in the story that could have expanded on other characters, especially in the end when it comes to nothing really in the overall story but a very nice scene for Monty.

My post is a bit confusing. Let me try to clarify.

The article I read was more about the viewers reaction to the Jasper depression storyline. Not the characters on the shows reactions.

As you say none of them did really try to deal with it. I think the only story the show was telling was of Jasper not being built to deal with the horrors they were constantly facing and his resulting breakdown/depression. Which comes back to it being a difficult subject to try and broach on a genre show with a big cast of characters. There is no time for most of the characters to sit still for a minute, never mind assess and deal with what one of the other minor characters are going through.

• Advertisement

My post is a bit confusing. Let me try to clarify.

The article I read was more about the viewers reaction to the Jasper depression storyline. Not the characters on the shows reactions.

Yes, I understand, but it seemed you were saying that you didn't know if the writers' intent was that Jasper had depression. I was saying it must have been their intent.
    As you say none of them did really try to deal with it. I think the only story the show was telling was of Jasper not being built to deal with the horrors they were constantly facing and his resulting breakdown/depression. Which comes back to it being a difficult subject to try and broach on a genre show with a big cast of characters. There is no time for most of the characters to sit still for a minute, never mind assess and deal with what one of the other minor characters are going through.

Did you mean "major" there at the end? Because Jasper was a main character.

I disagree though that they lack the space and time in the story. Jasper has featured as much as anyone over the last four season and in 3 & 4 he appeared often enough that they could have dealt with his situation properly. Instead it was the same thing over and over. Even in the episode where he went drug hunting with Bellamy in the woods it was just the same thing out of his mouth and even with the two of them Bellamy never actually tried to bring it up.

To be honest, as full on as the action and the various apocalypse get the show has never lacks in character development department. Even the supporting characters expand as the show goes on. Jasper is only time I think the show has mistepped.

Advertisement