Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloom - overpriced?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I'll show you my spuds for a fiver :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

redser7 wrote: »
    20 euro for a car show! You could nearly get into Bloom for that!

Indeed....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The origins of Bloom as a gardening festival is now becoming so stretched that the gardening elements are being subsumed by increasing overcrowding of fringe events.

This trend is probably largely influenced by the financial constraints for staging the event, quite simply Bloom as a gardening event is not commercially viable, reflected by the low participation by commercial bodies whilst exchequer funded public bodies are tripping over themselves to bankroll the event. Meanwhile Admission charges remain high and for many potential visitors prohibitive. Exhibitors are paying extortionate rates for a car park space and most of the costs associated with the show gardens are being funded by volunteer efforts etc. It would make interesting reading to see a I&E account for the event.

Funding and commercial sponsorship also contiues to decline (even before the downturn) year on year, and if it keeps going the way it is, 'a celebration of everything with some gardening' thrown in, well it will probably end up being another Ploughing event without tractors. Everything is being done to hype up appeal and beef up visitor numbers.

Perhaps in time, opening hours will be extended and new acts will be added to breathe new life into an event which is in danger of becoming an outdoor family entertainment circus.

Also had a nice chat with the men and women from Sonairte at Bloom yesterday,while they were building their polytunnels and display area.

Organic gardening and veg growing methods and how to run pond pumps/waterbut pumps off of solar PV panels.

Heres is their website,and they are open to the public each weekend.

http://sonairte.ie/

We have been out there a few times and its a lovely place to visit,with nice riverside walks along the River Nanny.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I can't go this year, so photos, people, photos!
    I enjoy it every year and can't complain of whats on offer, like any show of it type it has some stuff you don't care about and stuff you do. The thing is everyone cares about different aspects so most are pleased with the day out. 20 euro isn't that much compared to a sports event, music event or any other event.
    Yes it would be great at 10 euro and better at 5 but that's not viable so go and see for your self, if you don't think it's worth it don't go the next time.

• Advertisement

tommy2bad wrote: »
    I can't go this year, so photos, people, photos!
    I enjoy it every year and can't complain of whats on offer, like any show of it type it has some stuff you don't care about and stuff you do. The thing is everyone cares about different aspects so most are pleased with the day out. 20 euro isn't that much compared to a sports event, music event or any other event.
    Yes it would be great at 10 euro and better at 5 but that's not viable so go and see for your self, if you don't think it's worth it don't go the next time.

I have tons of them here,but cant/wont post them all yet,as Bloom hasnt opened to the public yet.;)

Theres a few taster pics of this years Bloom on the previous page.:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84819568&postcount=49

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84819737&postcount=52

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

The origins of Bloom as a gardening festival is now becoming so stretched that the gardening elements are being subsumed by increasing overcrowding of fringe events.

This trend is probably largely influenced by the financial constraints for staging the event, quite simply Bloom as a gardening event is not commercially viable, reflected by the low participation by commercial bodies whilst exchequer funded public bodies are tripping over themselves to bankroll the event. Meanwhile Admission charges remain high and for many potential visitors prohibitive. Exhibitors are paying extortionate rates for a car park space and most of the costs associated with the show gardens are being funded by volunteer efforts etc. It would make interesting reading to see a I&E account for the event.

Funding and commercial sponsorship also contiues to decline (even before the downturn) year on year, and if it keeps going the way it is, 'a celebration of everything with some gardening' thrown in, well it will probably end up being another Ploughing event without tractors. Everything is being done to hype up appeal and beef up visitor numbers.

Perhaps in time, opening hours will be extended and new acts will be added to breathe new life into an event which is in danger of becoming an outdoor family entertainment circus.

Fair play, a balanced and unbiased view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I agree with a lot of what you say, especially that a pure gardening event wouldnt be viable cost wise.
    But I dont see the harm in the cross over events, and I certainly dont see a problem with it being a outdoor family entertainment circus.
    In fact I think thats a good thing.
    I cant think of any big Irish event that is so completely family orientated.
    If you have something that brings familys together, outside, away from TV and electronic games etc that can only be a good thing.
    If you dont have an interest in gardening so much, there is food and live music and just being together relaxing.
    Not many events welcome children and if some of the gardening rubs off on the kids then great.
    Its also important for suppliers to get new customers and keep business's going and that cant be a bad thing?

Kids go free and if you got in early, I really dont see how you can moan about €15 per adult, or even 20. You can bring you own food and picnic as well and with the right weather, it would just be a lovely relaxing day with someone else organising everything for you!

Support the family, Support business's, support Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I cant think of any big Irish event that is so completely family orientated.
    If you have something that brings familys together, outside, away from TV and electronic games etc that can only be a good thing.

Ah now, there are absolutely loads of events in the country that are family oriented. Just in Cork alone there's the Summer Fair. The french festival, the choral festival, shandon street festival, skibbereen children's festival, the arts festival. And all of these are FREE FREE FREE!

On the discover ireland page alone there are 25 entries for family events coming up in festivals, and another 400 attractions listed as suitable for children.

http://www.discoverireland.ie/Things-To-Do/Family-Fun

The plasticy sales pitch center that is Bloom is so far from the experience of gardening I really don't think it's going to rub off.

2 euro off Bloom tickets with Irish Rail,when you buy a rail ticket or a smart card

Free shuttle bus from Heuston Station up to Bloom.

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_offers.jsp?i=4606

• Advertisement

Heres something else for the OP and others to do and visit this weekend or any time of the week.

http://www.straffanbutterflyfarm.com/index.php

Not breaking the bank either for the OP.
    8 euro per adult
    5 euro per child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what day out of the five would be the least busy??

fryup wrote: »
    what day out of the five would be the least busy??

Thursday or Friday morning...as kids are still in school.

Bloom 2013 on RTE1 at the moment.

Best in show went to Ger Mullen from Killkenny.

Seen as Bloom 2013 is now open to the public.......

Another 1 of the show gardens.Nice use of old copper plumbing pipe as a water feature.:)

And the winner of Super Garden 2013.:)

Pics were taken by me on Tuesday morning,while chatting to a friend of ours over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 manarocket

Bloom is a great fair but as previously mentioned over priced, I wouldn't agree with it being free coz you'd have gangs of teenagers walking around the place. But it should definitely be cheaper, 10 for and adult and free for kids under a certain age and maybe a 5er for kids under 18.
    There is a lot to spend money on in there and the food stalls make a small fortune over the weekend. I have been to the last 2 and we had a good family day out but 40 euro does turn me off going.

A few more Bloom 2013 pics......

The fantasticly prepared and very well kept walled kitchen gardens and orchard.

Allways love strolling around this.:D

Dont forget the suncream either.

Forecast is saying lots of sun 20-21 degrees C.

But in the sun trap and wind sheltered space of Bloom,it will be hotter than that.

Same weather for Saturday,Sunday and Monday too.

Tomorrow (Friday) is to be a bit duller and cooler

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

manarocket wrote: »
    But it should definitely be cheaper, 10 for and adult and free for kids under a certain age
    that's asking them to run it for cheaper than a trip to the cinema, though.

Bloom-"behind the scenes" is on RTE1 on Friday night,tomorrow.

An indepth insight into the making and creating of the Bloom event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I've been to Bloom every year it has been held (except last year).

Personally, I think it is a bit too expensive, but as it is the only show of its type in town there is not a lot of choice.
    To be fair, it is very well run and I'd imagine the costs involved in infrastructure and staffing are quite significant.
    I see both sides of the debate here and each has a valid point.

One thing that strikes me as a bit odd is the cost to use the site.

This is public land, so if there is a charge to Bloom to host the event, that is just reflected in the price that the public pay to use their own land!
    Surely if the organisers commit to returning the site to its previous condition, this charge should be dropped and the saving passed on in ticket prices.

Having said that, I don't know what this cost is, it may be pittance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Was at the show yesterday and lots of people getting in with concessions , so overall I would say less than half are paying full price. Very well organised and facilities top class. Would pay similar costs for shows in Uk , , I suppose everything is deemed expensive here at present because of our economic situation. Great show though and well worth a visit.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Rather than start a new thread. I have tickets for Monday but would now rather go on the Sunday,can I just turn up or not? Thanks

Rather than start a new thread. I have tickets for Monday but would now rather go on the Sunday,can I just turn up or not? Thanks

No harm to make a quick call and ask.

I cant see a problem,but you never know......

For Group Bookings please call 01 648 6029 or email group.sales@ticketmaster.ie
    Telephone Bookings

Please phone our 24 hour Booking Line:
    Republic of Ireland customers: 0818 719 300
    Northern Ireland customers: 0844 277 4455
    International customers: +353 1 4569569

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

When I booked the tickets the site said that the day is just a guideline for them, but that you could go any day (within the same price category).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Can I buy a ticket on the door so to speak? It's not clear from the website. I might go, but am not committing to an online ticket if I can't go on the day.

Thanks.

Can I buy a ticket on the door so to speak? It's not clear from the website. I might go, but am not committing to an online ticket if I can't go on the day.

Thanks.

Yep,you can pay in on the day at the entrances.

Bloom 2013 is on RTE1 NOW

I think RTE could have given an hour to Bloom,as 25 minutes was too little to propperly feature everything and promote it.

But 25 minutes was better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Had a fabulous day at Bloom yesterday :) Very well organised, some great deals on plants & bulbs, spent a fortune but am really happy with my purchases & can't wait to get planting today.
    Word of warning though, if you buy bulbs & put them in paper bags provided, write on them what they are! I bought some fabulous bulbs in Harts nurseries & can't remember the name of them. :o
    If anyone is at their stand, outside, near the chickens & sees red calla/canna bulbs, first row in, last box of bulbs on the right, can you tell me what they are called please?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement