Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloom - overpriced?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

peadar76 wrote: »
    So what would one have to do to gain access before 10am on the thursday?

Jump the high barbed wire fence,hop over the aligator infested water,then crawl through the landmine strip.

Oh and then navigate through the moving lazer beams

Plenty of German and French visitors over there today admiring the walled gardens.

A good few families out and about enjoying the nice weather too.:)

Carpark was fairly packed.

i was in bloom on friday manning a stand (for a non-profit organisation), so i got to see probably less than a quarter of it.
    on monday i went back (using tickets an acquaintance had acquired through work and did not want); we arrived at ten and left about 1pm. would have stayed longer except i had to collect someone from the airport. saw a fair few things which i would not have been aware of before (e.g. the wall mounted water butts with integrated watering can) or would have spent time trying to hunt down, so 20 quid would have been a reasonable cost for the time saved in that sense. got some nice plants, but was slightly underwhelmed by most show gardens.
    good array of food producers on display too, some offering discounts.

all in all, i would not have been unhappy spending 20 quid getting in.

Some pics for you,might be usefull to you.:)

Also when you balance out the savings on the plants and flowers and kids toys...(Hamleys Tent and Toy Area) you get your 20 euro back in savings.

Plus all the countless other freebies too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

paddy147 wrote: »
    Plenty of German and French visitors over there today admiring the walled gardens.

A good few families out and about enjoying the nice weather too.:)

Carpark was fairly packed.

We didn't have to pay for parking this year and got a great spot right at the front of the green car park.
    Was parking supposed to be free?

We didn't have to pay for parking this year and got a great spot right at the front of the green car park.
    Was parking supposed to be free?

It was a fiver for the duration of the Bloom event,but you may have got lucky when you parked up to visit Bloom..:)

The gardai and security staff also caught a crime gang red handed breaking into cars and robbing radios and other valuables.

http://www.herald.ie/news/gardai-foiled-crime-spree-at-bloom-festival-29323186.html

• Advertisement

Some more of the gardens from Bloom 2013.

Few more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Nice pics Paddy. Great show really enjoyed it . Had rekindled my interest and am going well since. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Paddy, thanks for all this pics. It was great to see a bit of Sun out at the weekend which goes a long way when you want to take nice snaps.

Few of you have mentioned freebies.... what kind of stuff did you get free which was worth the entrance fee? Was it usefull stuff or was it just free stuff!

Paddy, I have asked you and Peadar has asked you but you failed to answer.... You had nothing to do with Bloom, but yet you were hanging around it an awful lot for weeks beforehand and after.

How and why did you jump the high barbed wire fence,hop over the aligator infested water, crawl through the landmine strip and then navigate through the moving lazer beams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

he may not be directly involved but obviously knows a lot of people who are involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hootanany wrote: »
    I wonder how much profit Bloom makes and for whom.

Say 66% of visitors were full-price paying adults: Approx 75,000 @ €20 a head is €1.5 million, not counting their income from exhibitors. I can't find a baseline amount for what exhibitors are charged, probably because it's all totted up with the extras like electricity. How much it costs to rent the land for Bloom, if anything, I don't know.

On the cost of the event itself, as others have said; it is possible for an event to be good, and still be too expensive. I'm unemployed, the 'work' I do is a Fás scheme, the only person who'd be interested in going to Bloom with me is also unemployed. Neither of us can afford to spend €20 each, not counting food and drink, on a day out (the concession, according to the Bloom website, applies to OAPs and students only).

shawnee wrote: »
    Nice pics Paddy. Great show really enjoyed it . Had rekindled my interest and am going well since. :p

Happy days.:)

stevieob wrote: »
    Paddy, thanks for all this pics. It was great to see a bit of Sun out at the weekend which goes a long way when you want to take nice snaps.

Few of you have mentioned freebies.... what kind of stuff did you get free which was worth the entrance fee? Was it usefull stuff or was it just free stuff!

Paddy, I have asked you and Peadar has asked you but you failed to answer.... You had nothing to do with Bloom, but yet you were hanging around it like a bad smell for weeks beforehand and still seem to be lingering.

How and why did you jump the high barbed wire fence,hop over the aligator infested water, crawl through the landmine strip and then navigate through the moving lazer beams?

Did you go to Bloom yourself??

Or are you now looking for something else to complain about?

I dont think there is any need for you to now go and personally attack me,because I posted pics of Bloom.

You could actually try and get your facts right 1st and carefully read the posts,before making/posting derogatory comments about me.

Oh and I also forgot the growling alsation guard dogs too.

I had to subdue the dogs and make friends with them 1st though...

kylith wrote: »
    Say 66% of visitors were full-price paying adults: Approx 75,000 @ €20 a head is €1.5 million, not counting their income from exhibitors. I can't find a baseline amount for what exhibitors are charged, probably because it's all totted up with the extras like electricity. How much it costs to rent the land for Bloom, if anything, I don't know.

On the cost of the event itself, as others have said; it is possible for an event to be good, and still be too expensive. I'm unemployed, the 'work' I do is a Fás scheme, the only person who'd be interested in going to Bloom with me is also unemployed. Neither of us can afford to spend €20 each, not counting food and drink, on a day out (the concession, according to the Bloom website, applies to OAPs and students only).

With the various concessions/vouchers posted here on this thread and in the BA Forum,you could have got in for around 15 euro.

Also you could bring a picnic or a packed lunch and some fruit juices/drinks......like lots of families did.

There were also free samples of various food stuffs and drinks too.;)

We had a lovely picnic sitting outside the walled gardens near the RTE Lyric FM stand and listened to some lovely music and enjoyed our picnic in the sunshine.
    Our daughter was facinated watching the 2 arborists racing each other up and down the 2 large trees to the side of the walled garden.:)

We mingled with the crowds and enjoyed the afternoon and soaked up the great weather and atmosphere.:)

II dont think there is any need for you to now go and personally attack me,because I posted pics of Bloom.

You could actually try and get your facts right 1st and carefully read the posts,before making/posting derogatory comments about me.

he didn't attack you or make any derogatory comments about you. Chill out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Poor Paddy gets an awful time around here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

paddy, you've been posting multiple 'behind the scenes' pics of bloom, so people are just wondering if you were there to help a friend set up one of the show gardens/set up a commercial stand/part of the crew laying the groundwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Paddy, you seem convinced that everyone who's said it was too expensive for them is somehow making it up to have something to complain about. I took one look at the price and wrote Bloom off, I didn't go hunting for concessions because it wasn't that important to me. If it had been advertised at around a tenner I would probably have wandered over since it was a nice day, but the cost of it turned me off.

kylith wrote: »
    Paddy, you seem convinced that everyone who's said it was too expensive for them is somehow making it up to have something to complain about. I took one look at the price and wrote Bloom off, I didn't go hunting for concessions because it wasn't that important to me. If it had been advertised at around a tenner I would probably have wandered over since it was a nice day, but the cost of it turned me off.

I ddint say anything against you or am not disagreeing with anything you said.

I simply said to you that there were vouchers available and that lots of people and families had packed lunches and picnics with them.

Both were ways and methods of saving money and still having a great day and enjoying the event.

Thats all I said to you.:)

paddy, you've been posting multiple 'behind the scenes' pics of bloom, so people are just wondering if you were there to help a friend set up one of the show gardens/set up a commercial stand/part of the crew laying the groundwork.

And I have previously said a number of times now throughout this thread........NO......I myself have/had nothing to do with Bloom.

But some people (manily the OP ) cant and wont accept that,and seem intent now on making/posting derogatory comments about me and looking for something else to complain about.

I posted lots of Bloom pics for forum members here to see and hopefully enjoy.Like them or not like them,I dont care.

I went to Bloom with my family on the Monday.We had a great time,we enjoyed it all.We bought lots of plants and made new contacts for the future with some of the nurseries.

Regards.:)

• Advertisement

Relax, we all accept that YOU have nothing to do with bloom. But obviously someone close to you is involved in Bloom

I dont think there is any need for you to now go and personally attack me,because I posted pics of Bloom.

Oh and I also forgot the growling alsation guard dogs too.

I had to subdue the dogs and make friends with them 1st though...
    peadar76 wrote: »
    he didn't attack you or make any derogatory comments about you. Chill out

Jaysus, I'm glad you posted that Peadar cause I was starting to think I had dementia or something.

I actually though I had thanked Paddy for all the pictures he posted and not personally attack him. Without getting stroppy Paddy, maybe you also should have read my post......

I was only asking you to answer the question which you are still avoiding as to how you seem to have an access all areas pass to Bloom even though you claim to have nothing to do with it?

You know well that I though €20 (plus and extra €5 to have you car parked broken into :) ) was to much for me to pay in which is why I chose to excercise my option of not attending. I have made no bones about that fact.

I would have liked to have gone, but I just didn not see the justification of €20 entrance fee and that is why I was asking for information about all the freebies people actually got.

I also posted that I think the organisers seem to have got their price point fairly spot on with a view to the numbers which attended. Though I would be interested to know how many of the 110k got in free (the gathering thing and kids), and how many got reduced rates, and how many actually paid the full price.

Edit, had that written half an hour ago and then took a phone call before I actually posted so missed the last few posts.

Paddy, can you please tell me what derogatory comments I made about you, because if I did, I appologise as I certainly didn't mean to. I think you have been overly helpful with the pictures and goodwill comments you have made about Bloom.

I believe you have nothing to do with Bloom, but only asked how did you manage to get access before and after the event? You still fail to answer this question.

Can you please tell me what else I have complained about, because the only think I had a complaint about was the entrance fee being to expensive for me. As I stated on many occasion, I would love to have gone as you really do sell Bloom as a great day out.

Jaysus, I'm glad you posted that Peadar cause I was starting to think I had dementia or something.

I actually though I had thanked Paddy for all the pictures he posted and not personally attack him. Without getting stroppy Paddy, maybe you also should have read my post......

I was only asking you to answer the question which you are still avoiding as to how you seem to have an access all areas pass to Bloom even though you claim to have nothing to do with it?

You know well that I though €20 (plus and extra €5 to have you car parked broken into :) ) was to much for me to pay in which is why I chose to excercise my option of not attending. I have made no bones about that fact.

I would have liked to have gone, but I just didn not see the justification of €20 entrance fee and that is why I was asking for information about all the freebies people actually got.

I also posted that I think the organisers seem to have got their price point fairly spot on with a view to the numbers which attended. Though I would be interested to know how many of the 110k got in free (the gathering thing and kids), and how many got reduced rates, and how many actually paid the full price.

Steve You should actually read the posts propperly before looking for more things to try and complain about and posting things about me.

You had nothing to do with Bloom, but yet you were hanging around it like a bad smell for weeks beforehand and still seem to be lingering.

So what you posted isnt a derogatory comment that was intentionally posted to belittle me?

And you have your wires all crossed up aswell....which shows you didnt bother to read the posts.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/derogatory

derogatory [dɪˈrɒgətərɪ -trɪ]
    adj
    tending or intended to detract, disparage, or belittle; intentionally offensive

Paddy, I'm sure you are clever enough to admit that what I said was not in any way shape of form in any way derogatory toward you. I was not saying you smell bad.

It is nothing more than a colourful descriptive phrase, and I would be very surprised if you have never heard said many times before meant in nothing more than jest.

I am truely sorry for offending you. Can we please put this to bed and get back on thread.

I suppose I was complaing about you though Paddy for the simple reason that you continually choose to avoide a simple question.

How did you get all the access to Bloom before and after the event?

I think some people set out to be offended, are just waiting for the chance to be offended.

Paddy, I'm sure you are clever enough to admit that what I said was not in any way shape of form in any way derogatory toward you. I was not saying you smell bad.

It is nothing more than a colourful descriptive phrase, and I would be very surprised if you have never heard said many times before meant in nothing more than jest.

I am truely sorry for offending you. Can we please put this to bed and get back on thread.

Your post was derogatory and was posted by you for one reason,to belittle me.

You have now said sorry.....

The pics I posted are there for anyone and everyone to view and enjoy.

Now Im off out to enjoy our garden and planting up that last few plants that we bought at Bloom.

Enjoy your day and the rest of this thread.

Regards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

And I have previously said a number of times now throughout this thread........NO......I myself have/had nothing to do with Bloom.
    this is the thing though - you keep saying you had nothing to do with it, yet you enjoyed a level of access which joe public was unable to share. so that's what people are pinpointing; you had access beyond what the vast majority of people would have had, and people are just asking how you managed that.

Oh and the final/last few Bloom 2013 pics left on my camera.Lots of show garden trees for sale,after Bloom had ended and the gardens were being dismantled.

Roll on Bloom 2014.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

this is the thing though - you keep saying you had nothing to do with it, yet you enjoyed a level of access which joe public was unable to share. so that's what people are pinpointing; you had access beyond what the vast majority of people would have had, and people are just asking how you managed that.

Yep - that's the one. "I did not have sex with that woman". Damn right he didn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement