Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented Apartment and Non Regs complient attic bedroom.

Options
  • 16-05-2013 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi.

I plan to rent my apartment in approx five years as the OH and I are planning on buying a house at that stage, this year I will be getting the attic converted and will meet all regs except two.

1. Spiral Staircase but a standard one if possible.
    2. Total percentage of % Head Height

Now this will be our master bedroom for approx the next 5 years min and it will be approx 40sqm with ensuite and walk in wardrobes etc so planning on doing a proper job of it.

But when it comes to renting the unit can anyone advise how it should be handled, my gut tells me that it should just be locked up as if it doesn't exist. I also fear if I rent it as a storage room then it will be quickly sublet or used as a bedroom once again which worries me for insurance issues.

Has anyone come across this situation and how was it handled.

Thanks
    Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

are you sure you can convert the attic ? Normally modifications like this are prohibited from being done in your lease with the Management Company.

Id be surprised if doing this is allowable. and I'd be doubly surprised if there aren't insurance issues as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

D3PO wrote: »
    are you sure you can convert the attic ? Normally modifications like this are prohibited from being done in your lease with the Management Company.

Id be surprised if doing this is allowable. and I'd be doubly surprised if there aren't insurance issues as a result.

Hi.

Yes that side is fully agreed upon and completed legally without issue, we have exclusive usage of the attic etc.

Hi.

Yes that side is fully agreed upon and completed legally without issue, we have exclusive usage of the attic etc.

well in that case. If renting it you cannot advertise this space as a bedroom as it doesn't meet regs.

Im my mind your best locking it up because you wont get rental value out of it as it will seem overpriced if you charge a higher rent for it as people seeing the rental ad wont realize it has this space.

of course after the fact or during viewings if somebody suggested an interest in using it I guess you could negotiate something but you would need to tell them use of this space could only be for storage as its not a legal bedroom ;)

Not sure what the insurance situation would be, I think you would need to discuss that with them.

well in that case. If renting it you cannot advertise this space as a bedroom as it doesn't meet regs.

Im my mind your best locking it up because you wont get rental value out of it as it will seem overpriced if you charge a higher rent for it as people seeing the rental ad wont realize it has this space.

of course after the fact or during viewings if somebody suggested an interest in using it I guess you could negotiate something but you would need to tell them use of this space could only be for storage as its not a legal bedroom ;)

Not sure what the insurance situation would be, I think you would need to discuss that with them.

Thanks for the reply, that indeed seems to be crux of it, even if they use it, you can't rent it as anything other than storage and if they get into it the insurance side becomes dodgy especially if they put a bed up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hi.

Exclusive use is one thing but what about putting in a skylight? This involves work on Management Company property ie the roof? I know our MC would never grant permission for that - are you sure it's sorted?

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    Exclusive use is one thing but what about putting in a skylight? This involves work on Management Company property ie the roof? I know our MC would never grant permission for that - are you sure it's sorted?

as would the extractor for the en suite. I found it strange that it was sorted but I will take the OP at their word.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

athtrasna wrote: »

Never mind the impact it would have for insurance, and should there be any issues, then the insurance company can refuse to pay out, which would also impact on the mortgage of the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Also by not complying with the building regs the OP may encounter difficulty when he does come to sell the property in the future.

as would the extractor for the en suite. I found it strange that it was sorted but I will take the OP at their word.

Sky Lights, Vents, all exterior details is fully agreed, it is actually not that unusual a process.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Sky Lights, Vents, all exterior details is fully agreed, it is actually not that unusual a process.

Its highly unusual for a leaseholder to be granted permission to make those kind of changes to the exterior of an apartment building.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    Its highly unusual for a leaseholder to be granted permission to make those kind of changes to the exterior of an apartment building.

Third time saying this, I have permission, from the management company in wiriting, unusual perhaps but not the question that was asked. My primary concern is how it should be handled when entered on the rental market.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Third time saying this, I have permission, from the management company in wiriting, unusual perhaps but not the question that was asked. My primary concern is how it should be handled when entered on the rental market.

Leave it as it is. tenants do not enquire about planning permissions. Once it meets the standards for rented houses which is silent as regards planning permission there should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Im not saying you dont have permission; Im simply disagreeing with your statement that getting that sort of permission is not unusual.

If you are worried about the consequences when renting the property out then perhaps writing it into the lease as a special condition that the room must be used for nothing more than storage and cannot be used as a bedroom might suffice? If upon inspection of the property you find that the tenant is in breach of this clause then you could seek to take further action.

Or maybe just strip it down so the tenant would not want to use it as a bedroom? I could probably make another room out of the attic in my rented apartment, but the walls are bare and the floors are bare wooden boards, so I simply wouldnt bother going to the effort of making it habitable.

Kosseegan wrote: »
    Leave it as it is. tenants do not enquire about planning permissions. Once it meets the standards for rented houses which is silent as regards planning permission there should be no problem.

Thanks Kosseegan, that is it really, Looking over daft I see a lot of units / rooms for rent where I really doubt they are compliant with the planning requirements, my primary concerns are those which others here seems to be unsure of, which is the insurance situation and the liability.

Thanks
    Peter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Thanks Kosseegan, that is it really, Looking over daft I see a lot of units / rooms for rent where I really doubt they are compliant with the planning requirements, my primary concerns are those which others here seems to be unsure of, which is the insurance situation and the liability.

Thanks
    Peter

Make sure to have a proper landlord insurance policy. There will be building insurance on the building arranged by the block insurer. You will need to arrange your own contents and liability policy.

Advertisement