Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting samples in store

• 16-05-2013 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭

Hey ladies

I've been on the hunt for my soulmate foundation and mascara for the last year or so. I've been to various beauty counters in the likes of BT's and Debenhams and tried different brands, but none of them are really what I'm looking for. I'm sick of shelling out €30+ for a mascara or foundation and then not being really happy with them (although, in fairness, they will last me about 3 - 4 months!). I was wondering if it would be very cheeky to go in and ask for samples from a few different ranges just to see if I can find what I want?

Funnily enough, my favourite foundation and mascara were both samples. The foundation was given to me by a mate and was Estee Lauder, and the mascara I got as part of a free gift when buying other stuff from (I think) Dior. The foundation has been discontinued since and the label on the mascara had faded so bad that we couldn't figure out which one it was when I went in, and the one I ended up getting wasn't that great.

I don't want to seem like a chancer going in and asking for freebies. In fact, I don't even know if they do them - I've only ever got freebies when I've bought other stuff. I just can't be spending a whole pile more monies for something that isn't that great for me.

Cheers!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

You can get samples of foundations no problem from the likes of Estee Lauder, Laura Mercier, Lancome etc.

No sure about mascara though as I've never got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭XarcherX

Funnily enough I went into bts myself today on lunch as I heard great reviews about a certain Laura Mercier foundation and I've a wedding coming up.. I booked in LM a while back to have my makeup done on day of wedding. . So in I went and asked the girl if she had any samples for me to try out before the day and she looked at me as if I had ten heads!!
    She was very unhelpful and made me feel awful for even asking...
    I explained about the wedding coming up and she basically just said that if I want this makeup then they would do it the morning of the wedding and that was that.
    I tried explaining that I'd like to try it first as ive dry skin and it mightnt suit me etc...its 60 euro a jar I want to be sure first. But she wasn't having any of it.
    Sorry for the long post but if u do ask, let me know how u get on!! Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Cheers. Yeah, in thinking, it's very unlikely I'd get samples of mascara - I just know they do small samples that they give out in goody bags when you spend a certain amount - but they probably don't have them to give out to potential shoppers! The foundation should be easy enough to give samples out for though.

That's what I'm afraid of XarcherX! Being made feel like a total pariah! Sure, I may try over the weekend. What's the worst they can do other than telling me I'm not welcome in their store a la Pretty Woman. :P That's shocking that the girl was so rude though - especially when you had an upcoming booking and such an important day!

Thanks Stench Blossoms. I'll try those counters anyway.

Will post back, either a victorious or a broken woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

vichy are great at giving samples to try and they have loads of different foundations/ the large department won't be as good at giving samples some of the smaller store e.g. who have counters might be a good place to try but very little counter do samples of masacra the girls have masacra brushes so they can try a masacra go you in the store.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've gotten foundation samples from YSL in Brown Thomas and I know they defo give them in Arnotts. The give you a little vial that would last maybe two weeks. I'm on my second full size bottle now, happy to shop with them.

Urban Decay were good too. The girl on the counter in Debenhams, Henry St was really nice. Unfortunately I didn't like the foundation, but good experience other wise.

My mam got a foundation sample from Clinique, again the little vial/bottle.

I had a poor experience in Nars. She was very reluctant to give a foundation sample, saying she didn't think they had my colour in stock. I was thinking, eh, check then!? She finally gave me two colours, and they were both way off what my match would be. She just guessed the colours, even after I actually mentioned I tried the palest one on a Nars counter in NY and liked it :confused: I did not go back to them :p

If counters do not have the little tubs for the samples, ask if you can take your own (Boots do little travel screw top jars) as you'd like to try before you buy. If they refuse I would try a different counter unless it's a product you really want to try/buy.

I think you'll have more trouble getting mascara samples. Like you said they tend to come in the "free gift" type packages. I'm sure some people here could help recommend some to you if you let us know what you're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I was in a similar situation to yourself, sick of spending too much on a foundation that ended up not suiting me. I eventually just decided I'm not buying anymore until I find the right one so any time was in a department store I would go around asking for advice and samples. Some of them are great, they will sit you down and do a colour match and then give you a sample if you still aren't sure. Some will just give you a sample of whatever colour you think you might be. Some will look at you like you are the scum of the earth and are just trying to rob them.

I've found more of the last type in BT on grafton street, most in there are reluctant to give out samples. It's not even down to the stand, it's down to sales attendant that's on that day. I was determined to try out Nar's foundation in there a while back, but there wasn't a chance I was buying a bottle on a whim. The first time I asked the attendant made me feel like crap, so I went away and came back another day to a different attendant and she was great. She sat me down and matched my colour perfectly and gave me a sample to take home. I ended up hating the texture of the foundation so I was delighted I didn't buy it.

I had a similar experience in the Mac department in BT, the first time I went in looking for a sample the lady was very obliging. I didn't like the foundation but had heard good things about their tinted moisturiser so I went back a while later and asked a different lady for a sample and the scowl she pulled you would swear I had asked her personally to buy it for me.

House of Fraser in Dundrum was great for samples when I was there, most counters had no problem giving out samples and they were very helpful. The only ones that didn't said they didn't have pots, nobody made me feel like a chancer. I could have just been lucky that day tho.

It took me somewhere between 6 months and a year of searching to find the right foundation. I have no problem spending €40 on a tub of it now because I know it matches my skin perfectly. If I had bought a tub of every foundation I tried I would have spent a fortune. It was worth the search.

The best advice I can give is to ignore the attendants that make you feel bad for asking. It's just a crappy sales technique designed to guilt you into buying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Yeah it can be trial and error finding good sales people who are willing to give samples but the vials are a great idea!

On another note I blog and try a lot of foundations so if I ever write up about one and it's one you want to try contact me and I can organise a sample for you as I know how hard it is when you don't want to waste money on products that may not be right for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I find most counters good at giving samples, in fact I wouldn't buy a foundation anymore without either them giving me a sample of it, or else have them match me up and apply it for me in store. I always tell them I need to see it in day light before ill buy it anyway and they don't seem to have a problem.

I have never had a bad experience with Dior and they almost always give a sample mascara too once you buy something else

I find most counters good at giving samples, in fact I wouldn't buy a foundation anymore without either them giving me a sample of it, or else have them match me up and apply it for me in store. I always tell them I need to see it in day light before ill buy it anyway and they don't seem to have a problem.

I have never had a bad experience with Dior and they almost always give a sample mascara too once you buy something else

I <3 Dior :)

One of the guys that works the counter in Boots in the Liffey Valley is amazing. He spent about half an hour with me one day trying out all the different foundations they do until he found the right one. It's where I found the foundation I use now. He has a great eye for colour too, he put a shade of lipstick on me that I never would have dreamed of wearing, it looked much better than anything I'd ever worn before. Best customer service ever :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

The only time I ever got a sample in BTs successfully was from Crème De La Mer, and all I said was that I was looking!! I calculated the price of the sample and the little tub was a tenners worth of the stuff so not bad going at all...

• Advertisement

Thanks ladies! Seems ye've had mixed luck in getting samples! I'll probably be trying Debenhams on Henry Street and maybe BT's over the weekend. If they tell me they can't give me a sample 'cause they have no bottles, I may chance my arm saying I'll pop over to Boots and get one :P!! I've found most sales assistants to be really nice and helpful, but I've never asked for free stuff before. I don't have any idea which counters I want to try yet - I'm using the Mac Studio Fix at the mo (which has been raved about to me) and, while I don't need a huge amount of coverage, I find it doesn't last the day.
    SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    On another note I blog and try a lot of foundations so if I ever write up about one and it's one you want to try contact me and I can organise a sample for you as I know how hard it is when you don't want to waste money on products that may not be right for you

Thanks SmokeyEyes - that's really nice! I'll definitely check out your blog for ideas and advice!! :D
    Twee. wrote: »
    I think you'll have more trouble getting mascara samples. Like you said they tend to come in the "free gift" type packages. I'm sure some people here could help recommend some to you if you let us know what you're looking for.

Yeah - I doubt I'll get mascara samples really. I'm looking for a waterproof black mascara that adds a fair bit of volume, and a little bit of length (but not too much), but which doesn't doesn't clump!! I've tried ones that were recommended including Dior (which was where I think my original perfect sample came from), Clarins and Chanel. The Chanel (Inimitable Intense) was probably the best, but I still found it clumped a little bit and didn't really do anything for length, even though I only want a little bit of enhancement there. Maybe I'm too particular, but that long gone sample was just so perfect!!
    I <3 Dior :)

One of the guys that works the counter in Boots in the Liffey Valley is amazing. He spent about half an hour with me one day trying out all the different foundations they do until he found the right one. It's where I found the foundation I use now. He has a great eye for colour too, he put a shade of lipstick on me that I never would have dreamed of wearing, it looked much better than anything I'd ever worn before. Best customer service ever :)

That's brilliant that the staff in Boots were so helpful! I never really think of going there for make up trials! Which Boots was it can I ask? I could really do with some new lipstick colours too. I'm terrible for sticking with the same old thing once I find what I like, and probably really need to branch out! I love slightly darker colours, but my lips are quite full (although not that wide), so darker colours just look way OTT most of the time.

Thanks for all your advice ladies. Will let you know my success or otherwise after the weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Just bought a lancome foundation in Cassidey's pharmacy Ennis, the lady on the counter gave me a sample which should last a week or so and advised me not to open the full size product til I'm sure I like it, they will do full refund otherwise. Don't know if this is your area but felt it was excellent service and maybe a good thing to suggest to the assistants on beauty counters who don't offer the service as a matter of course :)

I'm using the Mac Studio Fix at the mo (which has been raved about to me) and, while I don't need a huge amount of coverage, I find it doesn't last the day.

Do you use a primer? It can make a huge difference with how long any foundation stays on for.
    That's brilliant that the staff in Boots were so helpful! I never really think of going there for make up trials! Which Boots was it can I ask? I could really do with some new lipstick colours too. I'm terrible for sticking with the same old thing once I find what I like, and probably really need to branch out! I love slightly darker colours, but my lips are quite full (although not that wide), so darker colours just look way OTT most of the time.

It was the boots in the Liffey Valley shopping center. It's one of the bigger boots I've seen, lots of brands have their own counters which I haven't seen in many other boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

BTs staff can be hit and miss, I found the girls at YSL and Shu Umera very helpful, and took time to discuss products and how to use them.
    The other counters I have consistently found the staff rude, one girl at Mac treated me and my friend horrendously. I used Prolong for ages but I felt my skin had changed and it no longer suited so I wanted a sample of a different one to try in nc20 (my perfect colour). It may has well been her first born I asked for, she shouted at me that nc20 was the wrong colour, but then when I asked for sample in colour she recommended, she said no. My friend was there to Spend a €100 voucher on mac brushes, but after how that girl treated me she just walked away.

Estee Lauder in Liffey Valley were very helpful, gave me two samples as the artificial light was not the best to judge suitability. One colour u thought was perfect, in natural light was so wrong. The other was great match, and I ended up buying it.

Clinique don't give samples of foundation unless you have a little tub with you.

Chanel and Dior both have given me samples in the past. And not just of foundation, I got moisturiser samples to use in conjunction with foundations. Great sales tactic, I went back and bought both for my mother as she loved them.

I will just say dont be afraid to ask, you are the one buying high end, you want to try it out. Its their job to provide a service, hopefully they do it well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Nordstrom in the USA is amazing. At every beauty stand is tiny sample jars and vials. You can get a sample of whatever you want. It would really encourage me to buy more products if I could try them first.

I have bought samples from ebay for a few quid if I am seriously considering buying something. They probably come from bonus time packs. It helps me because a few things I haven't loved so much after a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pjays

I have found YSL to be good over the years for giving samples. I have definitely received a few mascara samples from them. Chanel, Guerlain and Dior usually have no issues giving foundation samples. It's the less expensive brands that seem to be less willing to give samples in my experience.

Chanel are great for mascara samples :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭ocli64

I've gotten a couple from Lancome in Debenhams. When you're paying that much it's only fair you'd get to try it beforehand!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I've only chanced my arm once for a freebie, I wanted to try the Estee Lauder Double Wear.. went into Boots in Dundrum and the lady on the counter was very obliging..

Gave me a little shade test and then gave me a little bottle to take home with me..

I don't think I'd try my hand in the likes of BT's tbh.. some of them look at you like something they just cleaned off their shoe when you're making an actual purchase.. I could only imagine what it would be like if you wanted something for free :D oh dear Lord no!

Do you use a primer? It can make a huge difference with how long any foundation stays on for.

I don't use a primer and I know I really should. I've been told about them when buying foundation before, and it always means an extra €30 or so monies. I'd say they're worth it though.
    Chanel are great for mascara samples :)

Really? I would very much like some Chanel mascara samples!!

Well - I didn't actually make it to town on Sunday due to the nyommmmy weather, so my sample quest didn't happen. (Anyway, I got such a tan that any foundation I may have bought would have been two shades too pale by now (I wish :P:P.).)

• Advertisement

I don't use a primer and I know I really should. I've been told about them when buying foundation before, and it always means an extra €30 or so monies. I'd say they're worth it though.

I only recently started using a primer with my foundation, it makes a big difference with how long it lasts. My foundation is pretty much the same when I get home in the evenings as when I put it on in the mornings.

It's purely a convenience thing for me. It means I don't have to carry my make up with me to work and reapply half way through the day.

Advertisement