Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cichlids trying to breed again??

Options
  • 16-05-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

I have 14 African electric yellow Cichlids.
    4 females just recently had some fry removed from them.
    The babies are approximately a week old without any eggs attached to them living in a separate tank.
    I kept the females for a couple of days in a separate tank to allow them regain their strength after not eating due to them carrying their offspring in their mouths for so long.
    Few days ago I put them back in the tank with the rest of the adults, and I can already see males fighting each other and chasing the females. They all have their mating colours on again :eek:( dark stripes and dark mouths).
    Does that mean I am waiting for another set of fry:confused:
    I don't mind as I have another spare tank, just curious as to what I must expect in a month's time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You should balance the males to females more equal. In my experience the females do just fine once there's enough of them to balance out the male pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Hi OP we have a dedicated subforum Aquariums/Terrariums/Vivaviriums that i am going to move your thread to for more expert help. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

You should balance the males to females more equal. In my experience the females do just fine once there's enough of them to balance out the male pressure.

I should have more than 4 in there from what the previous owner said anyway. The once that he pointed out to me, are the once that didn't have any fry this time. I'm just more worried if the females would be able to survive another cycle of carrying eggs and not eating again...:confused:
    anniehoo wrote: »
    Hi OP we have a dedicated subforum Aquariums/Terrariums/Vivaviriums that i am going to move your thread to for more expert help. ;)

Great. thanks a mill.

The generally wont spawn unless they're in top condition anyway but if I was you I'd make sure they get some high quality frozen or live food in between spawns.

The generally wont spawn unless they're in top condition anyway but if I was you I'd make sure they get some high quality frozen or live food in between spawns.

was thinking of some live food as I don't feel comfortable with them eating something that's not been processed. what would you recommend?

• Advertisement

Some frozen or live brine shrimp is excellent and the fish go crazy for it. Seahorse Aquaiums always have live and frozen food. You could also hatch your own shrimp, all you need is as small container and an air pump, great for the fry as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Be careful feeding brine shrimp to Africans. The Yellow Labs will manage it ok as they are omnivores. However, many Africans are herbivores and will not tolerate brine shrimp so it may not be a good idea if you have other fish in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

my electric yellows breed in my cichlid tank and some fry survive fine without being taken away....should work fine as long as there are plenty of rocks they can hide away in. Ditto for females; mine dont get any recovery time from the pestering males, but havent had any losses despite multiple breeding cycles....loadsa rock is the key!

ksimpson wrote: »
    Be careful feeding brine shrimp to Africans. The Yellow Labs will manage it ok as they are omnivores. However, many Africans are herbivores and will not tolerate brine shrimp so it may not be a good idea if you have other fish in the tank.

2 Plecos in the tank, the rest are all Cichlids
    fungun wrote: »
    my electric yellows breed in my cichlid tank and some fry survive fine without being taken away....should work fine as long as there are plenty of rocks they can hide away in. Ditto for females; mine dont get any recovery time from the pestering males, but havent had any losses despite multiple breeding cycles....loadsa rock is the key!

cool. so I shouldn't be worried for the females. I have two rocky areas with castle on one side and a log on the other. Sometimes the males patrol only one of the areas and sometimes the larger male attacks both of the sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

ok i mean i must have about 40 rocks in mine built up so the whole back of the tank is built up to near the surface and full of gaps and holes - they all like their own places! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement