Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming resident in maynooth, will my daughter get place in secondary school?

Options
  • 16-05-2013 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,
    I am after sale agreed with vendor on property in Griffin Rath, Maynooth.
    Probabbly moving in In August.
    Want to start dealing with local schools to get place for my kids, secondary and primary and get them ready to start in september.

I know it late to organize schools for the next tear, but it is hard to get good timings while buying property, dealing with bank etc...

Question is: do My kids have guaranteed place in local schools, considering we are residents and living in catchment area?

Posting from tablet, please forgive for any typos.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is only one secondary in the town and hence only one to be in catchment of, a nominally Catholic VEC school, effectively you'll get in to it if you live in the town. Admissions policy link on their website appears to be permanently broken: http://mpps.ie/images/pdfs/school_policies/admissions_policy.pdf should it ever get uploaded

There's four primaries: an ETNS that does not yet have every class in it and I believe is completely full for the classes it has; a Gaelscoil, a boys Catholic primary and a girls convent school. More likely to get places in these than the others regardless.

http://www.maynoothbns.ie/pdf/enrolment.pdf / the girls doesn't seem to have one.

I went to the boys Catholic as a non-Catholic and it was acceptable on the religion front but I'll be sending my kids to the ETNS whenever they turn up...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bolektrolek

I am going to call over secondary and primary v soon. Hopefully there will not be any issues With gettin places...
    I have bad memories from the past when trying to relocate to naas. Plan was to rent a house for a while and buy). After three month of hassle we were refused a place in secondary in nass, as we could not prove residency over there... Hence we stayed in tallaght and It turned that we buying in maynooth now:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on how fussy you are.
    If you have no problem sending your kids to an all girls Loretto primary or an all boys primary school then you should have no bother.
    As for the Gaelscoil or Educate together gold dust is easier to come by .
    What classes are they going in to?
    You would need to apply to them all asap.
    No school has to take them so you need to contact them.

My son will continue in 6th class primary and we would prefer the closest school to griffin rath estate.
    Daugter is postprimary, 2nd class now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The Gaelscoil and Educate Together are directly outside the estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is actually a 6th class in the ETNS going by their websites, my mistake.

If your son hasn't got to a Gaelscoil before it wouldn't be a good idea to drop him in to that environment that late I guess?

They are both literally a ten second walk from Griffin Rath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

MYOB wrote: »
    There is actually a 6th class in the ETNS going by their websites, my mistake.

There is. And it's a small class right now so it shouldn't be a problem getting in there straight away. All classes up to 4th are full but 5th and 6th aren't. Call the school secretary on 01-6106823 and she can help you with enrollment.

Orion wrote: »
    There is. And it's a small class right now so it shouldn't be a problem getting in there straight away. All classes up to 4th are full but 5th and 6th aren't. Call the school secretary on 01-6106823 and she can help you with enrollment.

Thank ye for all advices! Will call ET tomorrow. Also need sort the things with postprimary for my daugter.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Good Luck and welcome to Maynooth:)

Thank ye for all advices! Will call ET tomorrow. Also need sort the things with postprimary for my daugter.

quick update:
    I am just after the call to the ET. The secretary was helpful. Looks like we are lucky so far and there will be a slot available in 6th class for my boy.

now the harder stuff - time to call secondary school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fmc3105

It is actually Presentation Girls not Loreto as was posted. www.presgirlsmaynooth.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Libra1

it's the presentation nuns primary!

Advertisement