Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avantcard Debt

Options
  • 16-05-2013 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I have an Avantcard which was maxed out last year,I phoned them and said that I might have difficulties paying in the near future and they suspended use of the card there and then.Since then I have managed to pay minimum payment up until last month.I have sent in an income and outgoings form stating how much I could pay each month and asked for a five year plan to pay it off,they refused and i have since missed my first minimum payment.I recieved a letter today saying they have passed on the account collection to "link financial outsourcing" and to expect a call from them.They also stated that they were keeping the account and that Link financial were acting on their behalf.Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jockey79

I'm in the same boat! Have you found out anymore about what this means ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

same boat eventhough i had a payment plan which i kept to. i have written to aventcard refusing to work with any 3rd party. i will pay as normal if this company rings i will truthfully inform them i have no business with them. if they keep calling i will consider it harassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 letter2

The letter said they would contact me by phone only after the 20th,still haven't heard anything,got my statement saying if I don't pay last months payment they will stop my credit,they stopped my credit last year lol

Really I have no idea what to do next except for what I intend to do, but I have a feeling that this thread will run for ~5 years until this mess is sorted....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Why not just try and work out a plan and keep paying as you were? Doesn't matter who you pay it to at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

Debt collection agencies do not answer to the financial regulator. If they lose all you payments for a year, good luck trying to work that one out.

Also the rules about how often they can contact you are more lenient.

I contacted Avant card today and asked to be put through to someone senior who I can discuss an account heading for termination with.

I was put through to a lovely person who looked back over my account. I have been making a regular payment for 11 months, this payment is less than the amount they want me pay and will not pay off the balance within 5 years.

I stated that in 14 months time I will have another creditor paid off and I will then add this payment to my original payment to Avant. She put this note onto my account. She said she could not promise that I would not be transferred to a debt collector but she hinted that there were people in a lot worse situations than me.

Also I called:0719656625 from the letter, a message said to call 071656000, a message on this said to call 0818409511.

That number only asked for a card number which I dont have. In the end I called back 0818409511 and I presses **

I then got through to a person.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 plainlazy

Im in a similiar situation with this company. Owe 8k on card and was making minimum payments and some up until march. Contacted them late april to explain i could no longer afford minimum payment as im unemployed and asked about suspending account and setting up a repayment plan. THey said they would send me financial assessment form (income and outgoings) and told me as soon as i had completed and returned form they would suspend interest and fee charges. This was 4 weeks ago, yesterday i received letter from them asking why i was 2 months in arrears??? I rang them and they claim they dont have the form that i sent back early may, they did say they have a massive backlog but hardly my fault, meanwhile thay are still charging me interest anf fees.
    I have offered to pay 50euro a month off debt while im unemployed, will up this if i find a job, but they are saying minimum monthly payment will be at least 160 a month over 5 year period which i simply cant afford. They have asked for 50 payment by end of this month while they are looking at my case, but im refusing to pay anything until an agreed repayment plan is in place. My point is 50 euro now is only going to get swallowed up in the huge interest they are charging on the debt at present.
    can anyone advise me where this is going, i cant see a repayment plan being put in place as i cant afford their terms at present, they have threatened to sell debt on to debt collector which worries me.

I say pay the €50, yes it will get swallowed up but when you do get a payment plan get them to back date the fees freeze to the date you sent the forms in. Also what ever you do get a time line going somewhere, even ifs just on your phone. Mark the time and date that you contact them.

I would make your offer again in writing, saying that you will pay €50 monthly until such time that you can increase your repayments.

Did you apportion you money equally between all your creditors, or did you just pull €50 out of the air? Are you really leaving yourself short, like not paying your utilities? Have you spoken to MABS?

Advertisement