Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snorkelling around Waterford

Options
  • 16-05-2013 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

Anybody recommend some spots around or near to Waterford to go snorkelling. Really enjoyed it on holidays abroad in the past and would love to give it a try locally.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

The water around Ireland is so dirty i wouldnt say you would see much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

it happens a lot in newtown cove or the guillamine its meant to be a nice dive out there never tried myself though

I know they do diving out there i didnt think they snorkeled there iv never seen anyone do it there. I was out there last summer and i was talking to a guy who had just got out from diving and i was asking him about diving there he did indeed mention it was good for diving alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

thomasm wrote: »
    Anybody recommend some spots around or near to Waterford to go snorkelling. Really enjoyed it on holidays abroad in the past and would love to give it a try locally.

Its not in Waterford but if you ever get a chance Lough Hyne in West Cork is really great.
    S28382 wrote: »

Not as clean as it should be but water clarity is not a massive obstacle.
    I know they do diving out there i didnt think they snorkeled there iv never seen anyone do it there. I was out there last summer and i was talking to a guy who had just got out from diving and i was asking him about diving there he did indeed mention it was good for diving alright.

It is a common place to snorkel relatively speaking but snorkelling isn't population in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Out by the guillamine is probably one of the better spots. You might want to consider getting in touch with the Waterford Harbour Sub Aqua club to see what they get up to. They primarily scuba dive, but I think they have a snorkelling membership option too...or at least they used to.

http://www.divewaterford.com/

Give them a ring and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

All along the Copper Coast is your best bet. There are load of coves there that are inaccessible for most people.
    Just choose your times wisely because of the swells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Not so. Check this out:

http://hooksubaqua.com

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

not true. over 150 dives in irish water done. and many around waterford/wexford. vis can range from 4/5m to 15m on good days. this is the best week of the year so far viz wise.

7upfree wrote: »
    Not so. Check this out:

http://hooksubaqua.com
    fozz10 wrote: »
    not true. over 150 dives in irish water done. and many around waterford/wexford. vis can range from 4/5m to 15m on good days. this is the best week of the year so far viz wise.

Sorry i was using my experience of snorkeling in the clear waters of Malta to the not so clear waters of Waterford. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

Sorry i was using my experience of snorkeling in the clear waters of Malta to the not so clear waters of Waterford. :pac:

And if you head west or up to malin head viz can exceed that of Malta!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moose3844

You should check out the copper coast. Its an amazing spot full of sea caves and lots of sealife. I was out kayaking on the copper coast 2 weeks ago and found sea urchins and starfish

• Registered Users Posts: 39 swarbrick1979

Hi, Im looking to go snorkelling tomorrow, was thinking maybe Ardmore??? have you been, also looking to go with someone as I havent done it for years and dont really want to venture out alone

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Ardmore is ok if you hug the rocks but the vis can be poor enough otherwise.

Advertisement