Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guy Poyet suspended by Brighton.

• 16-05-2013 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like he and his team are being sacked.
    The Brighton manager was informed yesterday that he must stay away from the Npower Championship club as they conduct an internal investigation into an alleged breach of contract, with the club believed to be examining his outspoken comments after losing the play-off semi-final against Crystal Palace.

The Uruguayan said that he was considering his future after the home defeat in the second leg on Monday and he told his players that he could offer no guarantee as to whether he would stay on next season but Brighton’s board have taken the extraordinary step of suspending him immediately.

The former Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder was told by email the news of his suspension – and that of his assistant manager Mauricio Taricco and first-team coach Charlie Oatway.

Poyet’s plan to hold talks with chairman Tony Bloom over his position have now been aborted as he cannot even report to the ground. Poyet has notified the League Managers’ Association, which will attempt to mediate, but his 3½-year spell is on course to end in a messy divorce.

Gus does extemporise too often when he speaks in public and it looks like its come back to bit him in the arse. Everyone knows he is looking to make a swift exit to a Premier League club.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Rumours going around that he might be coming to us (Shels)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

be interesting if he went to Stoke , and they began to play football - they would no longer be last on MOTD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Yeah, he's a bit of a mouth so this might make him think a bit before he opens it next time.

His comments on Suarez's various indiscretions were bizarre in the sense that he was only really supporting him because they are from the same country. It'd be like everyone here and all Irish pundits being fine with all the **** Keane pulled just because he came from the same rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

He has indicated a few times this season that he would be off if Brighton did not get promoted. Not sure if there is a job for him in the PL, but certainly no way back for him at Brighton. He might have to wait a while for a job to become available, would not be surprised to see him have to take another job in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yeah, he's a bit of a mouth so this might make him think a bit before he opens it next time.

His comments on Suarez's various indiscretions were bizarre in the sense that he was only really supporting him because they are from the same country. It'd be like everyone here and all Irish pundits being fine with all the **** Keane pulled just because he came from the same rock.

Surely it would be like one person (maybe Dunphy) being ok with the sh*t Keane pulled because they were from the same country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

"The Uruguayan said that he was considering his future after the home defeat in the second leg on Monday and he told his players that he could offer no guarantee as to whether he would stay on next season "

He's been suspended for this?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

thebaz wrote: »
    be interesting if he went to Stoke , and they began to play football - they would no longer be last on MOTD

With them money Stoke have spend it's amazing to think how much better they'd be if they didn't have such a useless manager. Great potential there if they rid of Pulis, get someone decent and keep spending like they have been doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Seems to me like he's tried to hold the club to ransom a few days after they fail to score a goal in a two legged tie against their biggest rivals and the board have called his bluff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I saw that interview after the defeat and it did strike me at the time as being in poor taste. His players came up short, but had done great for him all season and he seemed to be quite open to the idea of leaving the club, only moments after the club and supporters were devastated by the loss.

If I were a football chairman, I'm not sure I'd be too keen on hiring a guy who is so ready and willing to abandon ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

He made note of his the Brighton board "blocking his transfer targets". Wonder is this just a smokescreen for him trying to force his departure. He did speak with Reading already this season which leads me to question his commitment to Brighton.

Still can't believe Palace beat them in the semis. Saw Brighton play them off the park on a Friday night game 6 weeks ago. Just goes to show how utterly unpredictable this Championship is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

While I thought this was unnecessarily harsh initially, I now think it right

What sort of example is poyet setting the players with those sort of comments? How could he try an convince a player to stay at the club if they have another offer, when he himself has openly admitted to looking for a better offer.

While we all know that poyets comments probably echo the thoughts of most players, managers have to be held to different standards, and comments such as those from poyet fall significantly short of those standards IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

CSF wrote: »
    Rumours going around that he might be coming to us (Shels)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wasn't he the one that had a slapping match with one of his players on live TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Tony Bloom is a smart individual. This is a good move - if you can prove gross misconduct and a proper investigation / dismissal procedure you don't need to be liable for a whack of compensation. I'm suprised clubs don't try it more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Vicxas wrote: »
    Wasn't he the one that had a slapping match with one of his players on live TV?

Was that not Di Canio when he was at Swindon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Tony Bloom is a smart individual. This is a good move - if you can prove gross misconduct and a proper investigation / dismissal procedure you don't need to be liable for a whack of compensation. I'm suprised clubs don't try it more often.

Integrity perhaps ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It seems that everybody feels Poyet is completely in the wrong here. I really don't know(like most) the whole story about whats going on there but the man didn't just walk into the job yesterday, he has been there for 3 1/2 years now. He still has a long way to run on his contract but these things can usually be sorted out amicably if somebody wants to move on. Sometimes people say things in the heat of the moment after a loss and I think there has to be more to this than just those comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

In fairness, you did see a lot of that from some idiot journos in the Irish rags.
    I always remember Dunphy, Roy Curtis (shudder) and some idiot from the hedild backing him 100% no matter what he did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

eagle eye wrote: »
    It seems that everybody feels Poyet is completely in the wrong here. I really don't know(like most) the whole story about whats going on there but the man didn't just walk into the job yesterday, he has been there for 3 1/2 years now. He still has a long way to run on his contract but these things can usually be sorted out amicably if somebody wants to move on. Sometimes people say things in the heat of the moment after a loss and I think there has to be more to this than just those comments.

there's a big release clause though, £2.5m. Supposedly leeds enquired and were told there is no chance he will go unless this is paid. Club arent hard up so will hold out for big bucks for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Glowing reference from Vicente
    He is the worst person I've come across in football. For me he is a selfish person, very egocentric. I say that because it's how I feel. I won't talk badly about my team-mates, because they have been fantastic with me. What I think is unacceptable is that the manager makes fun of his players. I've seen things here that I have never seen in my career

Unrelated to Poyet, but shows what kind of club Brighton is.
    Brighton have launched an investigation after excrement was found on the floor of the Crystal Palace dressing room before Monday's Championship play-off second-leg at the Amex Stadium.

The incident, an apparent attempt to unsettle the visitors before they arrived at the ground.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/18/gus-poyet-fuming-excrement-crystal-palace?CMP=twt_gu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,610 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Glowing reference from Vicente

When have you ever seen a player unceremoniously released being happy about it?

Add to that, he doesn't speak particularly good English and the Argus's sports report is an odious creep. I suspect significant prompting, as he's done before.
    Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Unrelated to Poyet, but shows what kind of club Brighton is.

Meaning?

Incident discovered and dealt with before the game - Palace's chairman has even said he was unaware it even happened. Culprit being looked for. Doesn't show anything about anything, let alone whatever you're trying to imply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I wonder if they'll do 'forensic analysis' of said turd?!

Try to find out who the $hit stirrer is...

grenache wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll do 'forensic analysis' of said turd?!

Try to find out who the $hit stirrer is...

Going on photos circulating around, it appears to have been a member of the non-playing side of staff. Lesson there is not to let your mates take the photos you want to keep for posterior... erm, posterity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Found out he was sacked whilst covering a game on BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23022212

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Found out he was sacked whilst covering a game on BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23022212

Whatever people think of Poyet i thought it the sacking was handled with little tact or class by Brighton. To humiliate the man in the manner in which they did was absolutely disgraceful. I'm not saying Poyet is perfect or anything and look to be fair i dont know the full details of what went on inside but what i do know is that he got them promoted from league 1 and got them within 180 minutes of the Premier League so deserved more respect then the way he was treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

lolz poor Gus

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Poor form from the BBC in my opinion. Worse than what Geoff Shreeves did with Branislav Ivanovic. Being a national broadcaster, they really shouldn't be getting involved with gutter journalism like that.

cournioni wrote: »
    Poor form from the BBC in my opinion. Worse than what Geoff Shreeves did with Branislav Ivanovic. Being a national broadcaster, they really shouldn't be getting involved with gutter journalism like that.

Get the impression there that Poyet wanted the interview.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Get the impression there that Poyet wanted the interview.
    Possibly so, I still think that they should be showing a bit more class than that though. Wishful thinking these days I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

cournioni wrote: »

I'd be surprised if BBC didn't ask him first, it's not like they just sprung it on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Don't **** with Tony Bloom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'd be surprised if BBC didn't ask him first, it's not like they just sprung it on him.
    This.

I'm sure Gus wanted to get his side of the plot out there ASAP

Club insist he knew, he insists he doesn't, its fairly hard to decide who to believe at this stage.

The rumoured "interim" with intent of permanent manager, likely to be announced tomorrow is Oscar Garcia Junyent, former Barca youth team coach and outgoing Maccabi Tel Aviv manager, having got them the title in his one season there. Happy enough with that, although I'm still a bit worried about what went on over Gus and some other club murmurings.

MYOB wrote: »
    Club insist he knew, he insists he doesn't, its fairly hard to decide who to believe at this stage.

The rumoured "interim" with intent of permanent manager, likely to be announced tomorrow is Oscar Garcia Junyent, former Barca youth team coach and outgoing Maccabi Tel Aviv manager, having got them the title in his one season there. Happy enough with that, although I'm still a bit worried about what went on over Gus and some other club murmurings.

The onus very much will be on Brighton to prove he knew.

The onus very much will be on Brighton to prove he knew.

Its not really important if he either doesn't take or loses an appeal; as his credibility will be shot over that regardless.

• Advertisement

Its not really important if he either doesn't take or loses an appeal; as his credibility will be shot over that regardless.

I would imagine they will lose in any such appeal if they can't prove he knew.

I would imagine they will lose in any such appeal if they can't prove he knew.

It's legally irrelevant if his representatives knew. If he wins the appeal, its going to be disastrously damaging and require a number of heads to roll.

It's legally irrelevant if his representatives knew. If he wins the appeal, its going to be disastrously damaging and require a number of heads to roll.

Surely Brighton have to follow procedure in the termination of his contract?

Surely Brighton have to follow procedure in the termination of his contract?

If you've nominated legal representatives, notifying them is following procedure.

Advertisement