Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed delivery - Refund minus postage

Options
  • 17-05-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

That's the situation and I'm wondering where I stand.

Ordered from the UK and paid by Paypal so my default address was supplied automatically and no telephone number. After about a week I received an email saying the order was back in their warehouse because it could not be delivered. In sympathy to them my address is a rural one and while the postman knows which house couriers usually have to phone. It was a low value item so I didn't expect it to be sent via courier.

The postage was about €4 so it's not a big deal but the prospect of being charged for what I see as their complete failure to deliver irritates me, even though I can easily understand how it happened.

Is there a clear guideline in determining who the onus is on for delivery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Blame the government for not having postcodes, but at the same time I know of someone in the UK in a rural area and they have to specify extra delivery instructions to anyone besides Royal Mail as the postcode sends them a mile or two down the road.

Has this happened to you before or have all other deliveries been done by An Post? Is there a way of clarifying your address to aid delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

All deliveries prior to this have required a phone call from the courier or were by An Post. Short of including a description of the house there isn't much.

Typically it's not an issue, it's just this case where no attempt to contact me was made before declaring failure that is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭rock22

humbert wrote: »
    ...the order was back in their warehouse because it could not be delivered. In sympathy to them my address is a rural one and while the postman knows which house couriers usually have to phone.

Is there a clear guideline in determining who the onus is on for delivery?

The issue is probably broader than consumer law but I think you have a case for compensation
    The courier company "contracted" with the vendor to deliver the parcel "knowing" they were unable to do so. By this I mean they clearly cannot deliver in a rural area. The vendor has possibly an actionable case in contract law with the courier.
    The vendor contracted with you to supply and deliver the item. They failed, because of the action of the courier, and therefore you are entitled to the postage returned from the seller.
    I say it is more general because currently couriers who hold good you, as the buyer, own( having paid for them) owehave no duty of care to the owner of the goods. It would probably take some sort of legislative change to make them responsible. That way they would not take on work they cannot do and would be liable to the owner ( purchaser) of the good in local court.
    I would pursue it further but I would also raise it with TD as that is the only way the law can be changed

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

I always ask in special instructions or when registering my address to send to that if you put your coordinates in it makes it easier for driver to locate you. Most of them have sat nav.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Similar happened to me a while ago, small item rural address etc. Like yourself I didn't expect courier delivery. However the company offered to redeliver the item foc. I had to give me contact number, and the courier contacted when in my area. Item received, happy customer, gave great feedback on eBay. Is there any chance, if you had to ask even, that they would try to deliver again to you, at no extra cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

Same happened to me last year, my order was returned to the warehouse. BUT I had provided full contact info AND the courier had lied and said he tried to deliver 3 times leaving a card each time.
    I threw a fit! Sent them an email stating that the courier did not even try to deliver, nor did he call to find the location of the house. I told them that it was appalling service and insisted full refund inclusive of postage as they had failed to fulfill my order through no fault of mine, I got the full refund, needless to say I won't be using their services again.

You paid by paypal so did you open a dispute? They have to prove delivery or else you should be fully refunded.

Try using your Loc8 code as a postcode ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

I always add a line after the country in the address with GPS co-ordinates.

eg

xxxx xxxxxxx
    1 The Lane,
    Shankill,
    Co.Dublin,
    Ireland
    GPS XXXX XXXX

No need at all for postcodes then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Sorry, a bit slow to reply but thinks for all the info. Good suggestion on the GPS.

Following my original complaint to the company they agreed to refund the cost of delivery too and as of yesterday have done so. I have a reasonably positive view of them as a result of that.

I'll just have to make sure a phone number (and GPS coordinates) is included if there is any chance of delivery by courier.

Thanks again, folks.

Advertisement