Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Facto

Options
  • 17-05-2013 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of going for the De Facto visa. I'm on my 2nd WHV which ends in October. My girlfriend is an Australian citizen.

I've met her around March last year then I had to immediately go to Queensland for my farmwork. It took me 6 months to complete the full 88 days. However, I kept in contact with her the whole time I was farming.

After my farming I returned to Melbourne. We've been together since - 7 months. I moved in with her about 2 months ago. However, I'm not officially on the lease.

At present we don't have a joint bank account, joint lease, shared bills, wedding invitations etc. The only thing we have is a few pictures on our phone. Obvisously we can get written references from both our families.

We are going to set up a joint bank account this week and also declare our relationship to the city of Melbourne (through the birth / death cert office I believe).

I have less than 5 months left on my WHV and I can start gathering as much evidance as I can in that time period. So what do you guys think our chances are? Can we get enough evidance together in the time I have left?

She rang a migrant agent and had a brief conversation with them. One of the guys told him she would have no problem getting it. I was very skeptical as when I called them back another girl answered. She said in order to start the process the company would need a $3000 upfront payment. Once payment has been received they will send us out a list of requirement and start the paper work. Following this they would need an additional $5000 when they submit the application. I told them I was worried that we wouldn't meet the requirements for the visa but this agent said it will be no problem getting the visa but they were very general and didn't give us any specifics or reasons why it wont be a problem. This made me believe that they are a gang of crooks and that they will take on any case they can because they will get paid. But they put ideas in my girlfriends head and now she believes we I can get the visa.

Is there anybody who has been through this de facto process before? I would also love to hear from somebody who got a de facto on a person who is an australian citizen / residents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Although I have no personally, I think the year mark is for Australian Citizen/residents, and they are strict enough, since you will be claiming medicare etc

Things like bills, holidays (flights, hotels etc) , defacto certs are important - pictures as far as I know are not valid.

My housemate recently put his Irish gf on his visa (457 not citizenship)
    she was living in Ireland, and they had multiple phone records, hotels & flights (when he went to ireland to visit), when she came over they registered a defacto relationship and opened a Joint account.

She lived with him for 2months then applied.

Another friend of mine, was in a very similar situation, she has applied for PR with her Irish BF on a defacto, he was living in Ireland and they were in a long distance relationship for slightly over a year, he came over they pretty much had the same evidence as above and were recently successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dodgylegs

Hi Giftofgab,

Dont know too much about the Defacto visa, but if you are on the skills list maybe permanent residency might be cheaper, and might be less work. But maybe you have already looked into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Well I have 5 years of college and only 2 years banking experience. Not sure if that qualifies me as a skilled visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

So to hijack but ive a defacto question. Ive gone through the immigration website and cant find anything. How do you add a defacto to an existing 457, like are there forms to fill in, where do you send all your evidence. Sorry if its a silly question but I know you can add someone to the visa later but I cant find any info on how.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Noo wrote: »
    So to hijack but ive a defacto question. Ive gone through the immigration website and cant find anything. How do you add a defacto to an existing 457, like are there forms to fill in, where do you send all your evidence. Sorry if its a silly question but I know you can add someone to the visa later but I cant find any info on how.
    Application by family members
    Members of a primary visa applicant’s family unit who are applying for a subclass 457 visa at the same time as the primary visa applicant may make a combined application with the primary visa applicant. They can apply on the same form and pay one visa application charge.

Members of a primary visa applicant’s family unit applying for a subclass 457 visa who do not make a combined application with the primary visa applicant will be required to make a separate visa application and pay the visa application charge again.

I think you use Form 1066, also I think you need to get permission from your employer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dodgylegs

Hey Giftofgab,
    Well you might want to look it up :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I think you use Form 1066, also I think you need to get permission from your employer.

Cool thanks. Is that visa charge just the applicants charge for the visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

GiftofGab, I've been through this myself.

My first bit of advice is don't sweat it. If you're both serious, you'll make it work. My Second bit of advice, is don't think for a moment it'll be quick - it takes a lot of time jump through all the hoops, so be patient. If the process gets you down, refer to step one! My third and last bit of real advice, is talk to immigration directly, not a migration agent.

In my experience, the Dept. of Immigration & Citizenship has always been extremely open and helpful. They're there to help you succeed, not fail. If you're studious enough, you can easily complete the required paperwork yourself, and pay a fraction of the cost you were 'quoted'. I can guarantee you that if you're missing something they'll tell you! Oh, and last time i checked, the requirement for applying was to be in a committed relationship for a minimum of 12 months. That doesn't necessarily mean living together, having both names on leases, or having joint bank accounts. What it does infer, is that you can't be living separately on a permanent basis, so as long as you can explain any separation, it should be OK. But give them a call & ask. I got my PR last year, and we still don't have a joint account! makes buying the b'day pressie a bit easier ;) We did the long distance thing for a lot of the time too.

Anyway, search the forum, i'm sure i've posted some crap about it before. Collecting your evidence is the hardest part i think. But feel free to PM me if you have a question you can't figure out.

All the best,
    WM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

dodgylegs wrote: »
    Hey Giftofgab,
    Well you might want to look it up :-)
    GiftofGab, I've been through this myself.

My first bit of advice is don't sweat it. If you're both serious, you'll make it work. My Second bit of advice, is don't think for a moment it'll be quick - it takes a lot of time jump through all the hoops, so be patient. If the process gets you down, refer to step one! My third and last bit of real advice, is talk to immigration directly, not a migration agent.

In my experience, the Dept. of Immigration & Citizenship has always been extremely open and helpful. They're there to help you succeed, not fail. If you're studious enough, you can easily complete the required paperwork yourself, and pay a fraction of the cost you were 'quoted'. I can guarantee you that if you're missing something they'll tell you! Oh, and last time i checked, the requirement for applying was to be in a committed relationship for a minimum of 12 months. That doesn't necessarily mean living together, having both names on leases, or having joint bank accounts. What it does infer, is that you can't be living separately on a permanent basis, so as long as you can explain any separation, it should be OK. But give them a call & ask. I got my PR last year, and we still don't have a joint account! makes buying the b'day pressie a bit easier ;) We did the long distance thing for a lot of the time too.

Anyway, search the forum, i'm sure i've posted some crap about it before. Collecting your evidence is the hardest part i think. But feel free to PM me if you have a question you can't figure out.

All the best,
    WM

Thanks I'm just going to spend the next 5 months gathering evidance. I'm going to set up a joint bank acc. Shared lease. Declare are relationship to the city of Melbourne. Show evidance of phone records, facebook messages etc. Have shared holidays together. Have my parents send both of us some cards, postcards etc.

I don't know what you mean dodgylegs? I've getting a de facto of a Oz citizen not a person on a 457.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Riat

Hi Hussey,

I read about your post,what is registering as De-Facto realtionship and where we need to do this

• Advertisement

Register here: http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Relationships.htm
    You go into an office and sign some forms

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

hussey wrote: »

I did this, it is the greatest waste of time. The migration agenct basically said to me.. em that's great but we still need A, B, C, D, E, F - X, Y & Z!

Do it if you want but honestly, save yourself the $200 unless they actually ask you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chuckster

Noo wrote: »
    Cool thanks. Is that visa charge just the applicants charge for the visa?

Heya - I went de facto on my partners 457 visa last August and it was around $350 for the visa, that was the only charge.

Diddler82 wrote: »
    I did this, it is the greatest waste of time. The migration agenct basically said to me.. em that's great but we still need A, B, C, D, E, F - X, Y & Z!

Do it if you want but honestly, save yourself the $200 unless they actually ask you for it.
    I didn't do it myself, but my friend did, his agent told him he had to get it.
    But he didn't really have much evidence of a relationship as she lived in Ireland and him here, barely any actually.
    But you are right if you have plenty of evidence then this is not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chuckster

But he didn't really have much evidence of a relationship as she lived in Ireland and him here, barely any actually.

I agree this doesnt seem to be necessary if you have other evidence.

Myself and my friend were applying for the exact same visa at the same time... she went through an agent and on top of the fees they required her to also register the relationship.

I did the application myself and didnt register the relationship, both our visas were approved.

Thanks Hussey,

Such form also available for Ireland ,I have evidence and all but for De-facto in Ireland we need to prove two year and in my case I have one year less ,we started living from 6 months and have all bills and evidence of trips,if I sign such forms it will be benefit here in Ireland for De-Facto

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Registering means you can bypass the 12 months living together rule for PR visas (n/a for 457). You still need the other evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Hey mate, here are some of the basics i've pulled off of the immigration website for you.

So what happens is you apply for both the temporary and permanent visas at the same time (Note you will have to pay the fees for both visas on application). Once you apply for the visas you will roll onto a bridging visa until a decision is made, this could take 8 - 13 months. During this time you will not be able to work but you can apply for work rights citing financial hardship. Assuming your temporary visa is granted it will allow you to say in Aussie for two years and then if you and your partner are still together then you roll onto the permanent visa after two years.

Partner (Temporary and Permanent) (subclass 820 and 801) visas
    Visa basics
    • You must be in a partner relationship with an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
    • You apply for both a temporary and permanent visa by lodging one application.
    • You must not be in a relationship with an ancestor/descendent.
    • You and your partner must show a mutual and ongoing commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others.
    • Your de facto partner may be of the opposite or same sex as yourself.
    • You and your partner must be at least 18 years old when you apply.
    • You and your partner must have been in an ongoing and committed de facto relationship for the entire 12 months immediately prior to applying for the visa. Any periods of separation must only be temporary.
      Note: The 12 month relationship requirement does not apply in some circumstances.
    Application forms and booklets

Form 47SP Application for migration to Australia by a partner (552KB PDF file).
    Form 40SP Sponsorship for a partner to migrate to Australia (256KB PDF file).
    Form 47A Details of child or other dependent family member aged 18 years or over (238KB PDF file).
    Application checklist Partner visa (subclasses 820 and 801) (67KB PDF file).
    Booklet 1 Partner Migration

Where to apply
    Applications can be lodged by post or courier at the relevant Partner (Temporary) Processing Centre.

Cost

3975 Australian Dollars
    The visa application charge must be paid as part of the visa application process and is generally not refundable. There may be additional costs associated with your visa, such as medical examinations (if required).
    Visa application charges are reviewed on 1 July each year. (As far as i can tell the department has no intentions of raising the charge this July)

Length of stay
    If granted the temporary (subclass 820) visa, it allows you to stay in Australia until a decision is made on the permanent (subclass 801) visa. You can also travel overseas during the processing of your application. If granted the permanent visa, you can stay in Australia permanently, however, after five years you will need to obtain a Resident Return visa if you intend to travel overseas.

Pathways to permanent residence
    pplying for a Partner visa is a two stage process:
    1. You apply for a temporary visa (subclass 820) and a permanent visa (subclass 801) by lodging one application. The temporary visa is valid until a decision is made on the permanent visa.
    2. If you are granted the temporary visa, you will be eligible for consideration of a permanent visa two years after lodging your application. Generally you must demonstrate your relationship is still genuine and ongoing.
    However, there is provision for a permanent visa to be granted in less than two years in certain circumstances.
    Before you are eligible to be assessed for a permanent visa the department will contact you at the last address provided by you to obtain further information relating to your application. You must inform the department when your address details change. If your address details change and you do not inform the department, a decision may be made on your permanent visa application based on available information.
    If after two years you do not hear from the department, you should contact the relevant Partner (Permanent) Processing Centre.
    Partner Processing Centres

More information can be found here but from the information you have supplied it seems that you will not meet the requirements of the visa what you http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/partners/partner/820-801/

If you are a graduate you may be able to apply for a graduate visa. This visa will give you an additional 18 months stay in Aussie and has very few restrictions. More information can be found here > http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/students/485/

Hi Hussey,

Thanks for reply,it is possible to registered in relationship as couple with out marriage also ,if I can where I have to do in Ireland,please let me know ,Thank you

Riat wrote: »
    Hi Hussey,

Thanks for reply,it is possible to registered in relationship as couple with out marriage also ,if I can where I have to do in Ireland,please let me know ,Thank you
    Defacto is only for couples without marriage, as for Ireland - I have no idea. It is an Australian register, I doubt they have outside offices.

I have no idea if Ireland has a defacto register sorry

• Advertisement

Ask them at the embassy in Dublin

Defacto is only for couples without marriage, as for Ireland - I have no idea. It is an Australian register, I doubt they have outside offices.

I have no idea if Ireland has a defacto register sorry

Thank you,I will find out in forum or call them to know

I have query on De-facto ,my gnib card is expiring on Sep 2013 and if I apply De-Facto after how many days I get receipt that they received my application so that I can show to garda to get further extension on it ,is anybody gone through such situation please let me know,I want to apply second week of September and I don't have joint account and utility bills in my name it will be problem for De-Facto ,I read some forums but didn't find this answer,how citizen information office and some related offices will help me I didn't get this,any how I am going to esquire soon ,Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Riat wrote: »
    I have query on De-facto ,my gnib card is expiring on Sep 2013 and if I apply De-Facto after how many days I get receipt that they received my application so that I can show to garda to get further extension on it ,is anybody gone through such situation please let me know,I want to apply second week of September and I don't have joint account and utility bills in my name it will be problem for De-Facto ,I read some forums but didn't find this answer,how citizen information office and some related offices will help me I didn't get this,any how I am going to esquire soon ,Thank you.

I doubt if you'll get the answers you're looking for here in the Australia forum. Have a read through this thread for Ireland: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055870436

Bear in mind that the above thread started just after the DeFacto option became available, so things have changed a lot since that, so more recent posts would be more accurate.

Judging by what some posters on that thread who have recently applied they received acknowledgement of their applications within 3 to 5 days. The GNIB Gárda will either give an extension to your existing visa or will flag your GNIB number with a non-deportation notice.

You would definitely need some sort of documentation in joint names. Again, have a read through the thread I linked to & you will see what others have submitted. It should be easy enough to get utility bills changed into joint names, so you should try to arrange this now, as well as joint bank accounts.

I doubt if you'll get the answers you're looking for here in the Australia forum. Have a read through this thread for Ireland: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055870436

Bear in mind that the above thread started just after the DeFacto option became available, so things have changed a lot since that, so more recent posts would be more accurate.

Judging by what some posters on that thread who have recently applied they received acknowledgement of their applications within 3 to 5 days. The GNIB Gárda will either give an extension to your existing visa or will flag your GNIB number with a non-deportation notice.

You would definitely need some sort of documentation in joint names. Again, have a read through the thread I linked to & you will see what others have submitted. It should be easy enough to get utility bills changed into joint names, so you should try to arrange this now, as well as joint bank accounts.

Thanks Cushie Butterfield for lot of information,I will go through the link and get ready my documentation for it

Can I get sample letter format to write about De -Facto explaining about relationship and letters from family and friends,how to start this letters ,I am keeping letters from us,family and friends letters,total 3 letters and rest documentation is getting copies print and enclosing it ,I read about in forum what are documents required but if I get sample letter format it will be so helpfull,I know what to mentioned but still confused ,Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Hi all, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I just have some questions about the defacto. I'm here in Aus 7mths now and plan on being sponsored by my gf, she has her Aus passport (born here but lived in Ireland all her life). I'm currently working a job as an engineer and my contract will be up in 6 weeks.
    Probably a long shot but would it be possible to get the whole sponsorship done in 6 weeks? I ask as my employer said if I got this sorted, they would extend my contract (as I'm on a WHV and can only work for 6mths in any one place).
    Tbh, was kinda hoping for a while I'd get sponsored by the company but it's not going to happen so looks like it'll be plan B (defacto through gf).

I don't mean to sound like an idiot but where exactly do I start? We weren't living together before we came out here but have obviously been living together for the last 7mths. We have been going out with each other the last 7 years nearly so we'd have plenty of evidence to prove the relationship. Would we have to register the relationship first and then apply for the visa or how will it work?

Many Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cake Man wrote: »
    Hi all, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I just have some questions about the defacto. I'm here in Aus 7mths now and plan on being sponsored by my gf, she has her Aus passport (born here but lived in Ireland all her life). I'm currently working a job as an engineer and my contract will be up in 6 weeks.
    Probably a long shot but would it be possible to get the whole sponsorship done in 6 weeks? I ask as my employer said if I got this sorted, they would extend my contract (as I'm on a WHV and can only work for 6mths in any one place).
    Tbh, was kinda hoping for a while I'd get sponsored by the company but it's not going to happen so looks like it'll be plan B (defacto through gf).

I don't mean to sound like an idiot but where exactly do I start? We weren't living together before we came out here but have obviously been living together for the last 7mths. We have been going out with each other the last 7 years nearly so we'd have plenty of evidence to prove the relationship. Would we have to register the relationship first and then apply for the visa or how will it work?

Many Thanks

You should have plenty of evidence to qualify for the visa but you won't get it through it 6 weeks. 6 months would be lucky.
    If your WHV runs out you'll get a bridging visa so no issues there.
    You don't need to register the relationship.

Cake Man wrote: »

Many Thanks

I have been quoted a time of anywhere from 5 months to 13 months for this visa to process. Once the application is made you will go onto a bridging visa and can apply for work rights citing "financial hardship". This can take 1 week to 3 months to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

ifeelill wrote: »
    Once the application is made you will go onto a bridging visa and can apply for work rights citing "financial hardship". This can take 1 week to 3 months to get.

Isn't the case with bridging visas that you have the same working conditions as the visa you were on? In this case it would be full working rights but still restricted to the six month rule.

Advertisement