Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Facto

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

I am on a holiday visa with a no right to work so you might well be right, i was advised that once my application was lodged i would have no right to work and that i would have to apply for work rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ifeelill wrote: »
    I have been quoted a time of anywhere from 5 months to 13 months for this visa to process. Once the application is made you will go onto a bridging visa and can apply for work rights citing "financial hardship". This can take 1 week to 3 months to get.

He probably won't go on to a bridging visa immediately as he has a current WHV.

When he does go on to a bridging visa, it'll be bridging visa A, which automatically keeps existing work permissions. So he won't need to apply for work rights.

If you do need to apply for work permission, it's granted straight away at the immigration office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Thanks for the replies and info lads, much appreciated.

So the bridging visa would kick in as soon as the WHV ends (which will be November)? Hopefully that is the case that work permissions are kept and there are no issues there. Seems kinda ridiculous how they could expect you to live without any income for months.

I think it's about $4k for the defacto, it's a good few quid but if it has to be done then I don't mind doing it. Is it true that doing this means having to stay in the country for 2 years? Would this mean not even being allowed go home for a few weeks at Xmas/for a wedding etc? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Just have another quick question...we will be applying to add my OH to my 457 in a few months (we've only just started living together in oz, together 6 years in ireland), we have a joint bank, electricity, travel itineraries going back years etc. But as I got here first and he moved in with me he is not on my lease, is his bank account showing he is paying rent at the address enough to show we are living together?

Can you ask your landlord to add him to the lease ? And make sure you have an joint Aussie banks account. Im sure that you will make a compelling case to the authorities if your documentation covers a period of six years.

• Advertisement

Hi all, just have another question about the de facto. Got the forms to fill out and it seems straightforward enough (for now!).

One issue we noticed was that form "Statutory declaration by a supporting witness in relation to a Partner or Prospective Marriage visa application" basically calls for a friend/family member who is either an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident to fill out the form declaring they know us both and can confirm the relationship is genuine. I guess it's kinda like a reference, similar to what you'd put forward on a CV/job application, that seems to be my understanding of it.
    The problem though is that we know people here but they aren't yet citizens or permanent residents so don't have anyone that could vouch for us. The gf was born here but lived in Ireland all her life. She knows of a few people who are citizens (through friends of her parents when they lived here 20 odd years ago) but the problem is, they wouldn't know me so again couldn't vouch for us. Any ideas what we could do? Surely there's a way around it.
    Thanks lads.

Cake Man wrote: »
    The gf was born here but lived in Ireland all her life.

She has no family/friends in Aussie who are PR/Citizens ?

ifeelill wrote: »
    She has no family/friends in Aussie who are PR/Citizens ?

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain clearly. She wouldn't have family here as her parents moved out here 20 odd years ago, had her here (first child) and moved back home to Ireland when she was a few months old.
    Her parents would know a few people who they would have been friends with out here 20 odd years ago but what I'm saying is those friends of her parents would know my gf but not me, you get me? So technically, they couldn't really put down on the form that they know us both when they only know her and not me! We could try chance it but it coud compromise the whole defacto if they rang up her parents friend some time and she couldn't confirm some details etc!

So just wondering if there is anything that could be done to get around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How about somebody from work?
    Somebody who works with one if you must know both of you.
    I used a work colleague as my reference on my PR visa.

Mellor wrote: »
    How about somebody from work?
    Somebody who works with one if you must know both of you.
    I used a work colleague as my reference on my PR visa.

Still probably the same situation Mellor, we both only work in places a few months, she doesn't know people I work with, nor I hers! (My 6mth contract in my current company is up in a few weeks anyway).
    But it might not be a bad idea, they would know of me but we wouldn't have met if that makes sense.
    I mean, how well would the person have to know me or both of us!?

Do you mind me asking if your work colleague you used as your reference received a call from the Dept. of Immigration to confirm details and that?

Thanks for the info and replies!

• Advertisement

Just get someone from her work over for dinner, start building connections/relationships with the locals (you'll need to do this anyway) and then just drop your issue into the conversations after a few meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Riat

I have query regarding De facto,I made arranged all the document like joint account,utility bills ,photos and all but it is difficult for me to collect letters from my boy friend parents and friends and I am bit worried ,it is ok for submit documents with this letters ,please let me know ,we have strong financial documents and proofs of photos and emails .My parents and sisters and friends are also supporting me with their letters but it is very hard to get letter from boy friend side .

Advertisement