Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA not making any games for Wii U

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

Might be a good thing if it's catalogue isn't full of EA's year after year reiterations.

More than likely signalling the end of the WiiU though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

With Wii u userbase been low Ea feels its not worth putting their games on.

nail to the coffin ? to early to say.

Wait till the system is a year old , it will paint a better picture for nintendo system if it will succeed or crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

The last console the EA didn't support was the Dreamcast. Not a good omen, but at the same time, Nintendo's first party line-up is far stronger than Sega's was (speaking as a huge Dreamcast fanboy!)

While this isn't a good sign, I'm not sure that EA games would drive a huge amount of sales of the platform. Who here buys a Nintendo system for it's 3rd party offerings for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Who here buys a Nintendo system for it's 3rd party offerings for example?

That's a valid point, and sad as it may be, I wonder if it would really be a loss if Nintendo were to drop the traditional console and focus on their handhelds and developing their games for other consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Why couldn't this be ubisoft and their ****ty shovel ware, Nintendo have a Zelda, Luigi, Mario Kart and Smash Bros Game all to come out, the Wii U will weather the storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Why couldn't this be ubisoft and their ****ty shovel ware, Nintendo have a Zelda, Luigi, Mario Kart and Smash Bros Game all to come out, the Wii U will weather the storm.

Ubisoft currently has one of the few games worth playing on the Wii U that actually uses the controller well. It WAS set to deliver an interesting exclusive in Rayman Legends, but that deal went south. And yes, Ubisoft is porting, but at least it's some sort of support. If anything, Ubisoft was the reason people were interested in the platform.

As you say, the big titles are to come and Wii U will probably be fine...but they should have been closer to launch // further away from the launch of consoles that Nintendo has decided to go up against.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 82,321 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Think about it: PS4 and Xbox3 are rumored to have hardware-based DRM. Does the Wii U?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

With Wii u userbase been low Ea feels its not worth putting their games on.

nail to the coffin ? to early to say.

Wait till the system is a year old , it will paint a better picture for nintendo system if it will succeed or crash.

You can't really/properly/wholly flop/success ratio 'til it has entered its 3rd year/end of 2nd. T'is the standard: PS3, PS2, DS, 3DS etc, etc didn't come into their own 'til their 3rd year on the market.

Mind, the last time EA refused to support a console, they turned out accurate in their prediction. Granted, they also had a part in it due to snapping up the sport-licenses to kill Sega's 2K franchises. Yes, it was the Dreamcast, and depressingly, it had also had one of the finest launch line-ups ever, and it didn't equate to diddly-squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

The Wii will be a total flop unless the have a price drop on not only the hardware but he games too. Some of the prices for the games are simply scandalous. 60 euro for games that have gone platinum on XBOX and PS3.

I might pick one up when they are flogging them off for 100 euro ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The Wii will be a total flop unless the have a price drop on not only the hardware but he games too. Some of the prices for the games are simply scandalous. 60 euro for games that have gone platinum on XBOX and PS3.

I might pick one up when they are flogging them off for 100 euro ;)

That's if you're buying from Gamestop. Quick look online and you'll generally get them for a decent price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Before we all jump on the Wii U is dead bandwagon (and to be honest I was halfway there before this news came out.) how heavily did EA support the Wii?

Admittedly there were the standard EA Sports licenses (NFL etc.) and the Rock Band Series.

After that.... Hasbro Family Game Night, My Sims, Nerf N-Strike, Dead Space Extraction, Medal of Honor, Need for Speed.

Not exactly top sellers for the Wii and the ones that sold decent numbers were not games Nintendo were relying on to sell consoles.

The loss of EA Sports yearly updates will hurt. But after that you have to admit what EA actually out for the Wii was meh at best and downright shovelware for the rest.

Nintendo are mainly a 1st Party Console producer. Their bread and butter will be made on the next version of Link, Mario and Metroid not Charm Girls Club Pajama Party (I swear to god thats a real game.)

Wait until they are released...then we can have the wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ravenid wrote: »
    Before we all jump on the Wii U is dead bandwagon (and to be honest I was halfway there before this news came out.) how heavily did EA support the Wii?

Admittedly there were the standard EA Sports licenses (NFL etc.) and the Rock Band Series.

After that.... Hasbro Family Game Night, My Sims, Nerf N-Strike, Dead Space Extraction, Medal of Honor, Need for Speed.

Not exactly top sellers for the Wii and the ones that sold decent numbers were not games Nintendo were relying on to sell consoles.

The loss of EA Sports yearly updates will hurt. But after that you have to admit what EA actually out for the Wii was meh at best and downright shovelware for the rest.

Nintendo are mainly a 1st Party Console producer. Their bread and butter will be made on the next version of Link, Mario and Metroid not Charm Girls Club Pajama Party (I swear to god thats a real game.)

Wait until they are released...then we can have the wake.

wii-Boom_Blox.jpg

... and that's the only good/interesting game they made for the Wii.

So fúck 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

It doesnt look good but like someone else said, nintendo isnt known for its third party support. Most people who have bought the WiiU did so for mario, zelda etc and more will buy it for these. I would guess the WiiU will survive, not do as well as the Wii but survive for awhile. We could be seeing a new console sooner to compete with the other 2 consoles as they wont be hitting the casual crowd anywhere near as much this time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Well depending on how well the console does, EA could change their minds. It's not like they signed a contract with Sony and MS. If the Wii U ends up dominating then they might just have to grit their teeth and put some games on it, I'm sure we all remember Gabe Newell's remarks about how the best thing for Sony to do would be to scrap the PS3 and start over before later turning up at Sony's E3 conference to tell us all that he changed his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Last console EA took this decision on was the Dreamcast, which doesn't bode well. There's still nothing on the Wii U that makes me even consider buying one and a remake of a GameCube game in Windwaker isn't the answer. If Nintendo aren't putting everything they have behind it, why would anyone else?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nobody buys a Nintendo console to play EA games. Nintendo's hardcore fanbase isn't interested in them, they more than likely have another console for that, and the casual market is more interested in family games.

If you are buying a WiiU to play EA games you are kind of doing it wrong.

Nintendo should be more worried about getting interesting games out on the system and hope for a stronger Christmas because if it under performs this christmas it will be an also ran of Gamecube proportions.

I'm not sure why people expect consoles to have amazing games right after launch it just doesn't happen. The WiiU is just 6 months old. At this stage in the 360's life span it had Geometry Wars and Oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Hercule

Nintendo are in trouble

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hercule wrote: »
    Nintendo are in trouble

Too early to write them off yet. We were all saying the same a few months ago about the 3DS due to some awful scaremongering journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Too early to write them off yet. We were all saying the same a few months ago about the 3DS due to some awful scaremongering journalism.

Agree. I would be one of those who shouted same about 3ds. NotNintendo proved me wrong and I ended up upgrading my 3ds to 3ds xl due to great games on system.
    I would give Nintendo another year. To be exact - up until 2014 holiday season. If they won't pull out something fantastic and I mean not more Zelda or Mario.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It is staggering, isn't it? The Wii and the DS are the most successful home and handheld consoles in history, the 3DS has outsold the Vita 6:1, and the WiiU does not have any competition yet. It's a little rash to start shouting doomsday. Especially considering no other major games company has lasted longer than the Big N. :confused::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

well in fairness the n64 launched with mario 64.
    gamecube had Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader at launch and wii had zelda twilight princess at launch.

it is unfair that the system has been written off too quickly since it has some of the best games coming like:

Bayonetta 2
    wonderful 101
    Sonic lost world
    xenoblade 2
    Smt x fire emblem
    wind waker hd
    pikmin 3
    earthbound
    Mario Kart
    3d Mario
    Super Smash bros u

and regards to ea saying there is no games developed for wii u . i remembered awhile back gabe newell coming out and saying the ps3 a piece of **** of a console and sony should quit making the console and apologise..yet he came out at e3 at sony expo and announced portal 2.

so as of right now nintendo sold what 5 million wii u systems and thats more than what 360 and ps3 sold at this time. On top of that they sold 5 million consoles without one of their top killer titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It is staggering, isn't it? The Wii and the DS are the most successful home and handheld consoles in history, the 3DS has outsold the Vita 6:1, and the WiiU does not have any competition yet. It's a little rash to start shouting doomsday. Especially considering no other major games company has lasted longer than the Big N. :confused::rolleyes:

That's true. Nintendo can easily get past a console under-performing. The N64 was well behind the PS1 and the Gamecube came paddy last in terms of sales. Remember the Virtual Boy?

Even if the Wii U doesn't dominate the competition like the Wii did, it's not going to be the end of Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭Varik

so as of right now nintendo sold what 5 million wii u systems and thats more than what 360 and ps3 sold at this time. On top of that they sold 5 million consoles without one of their top killer titles.

Which would be great for them if that number wasn't pull out of nowhere, Nintendo only sold/shipped ~3.5m by the end of march and that was their official numbers so unless they've had their 2 best months since the initial release they have not sold or likely even shipped 5m yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Yeah the lessons fair weren't learned on the Journos part. I think it may take a year plus but it'll be fine cause Mario 3D and Mario Kart 8? is coming this year, that happened before didn't it....oh yeah with the 3DS.
    If you look at the releases this year alone on the 3DS its no wonder the WiiU is struggling as every month you seem to have big first party new releases on the handheld.

Varik wrote: »
    Which would be great for them if that number wasn't pull out of nowhere, Nintendo only sold/shipped ~3.5m by the end of march and that was their official numbers so unless they've had their 2 best months since the initial release they have not sold or likely even shipped 5m yet.

Still 3.5 million is a huge number for just 6 months on sale. Sales might have dried up but we are in a recession and consoles usually only sell big during holidays. Nintendo unlike Sony and MS only quote sold numbers so it's not like they only shipped 3.5 million WiiU's.

Nintendo still have a lot to do on the run up to this christmas. They really need a new Mario Kart or MArio game and a new entry in the Fit series should see them pull it off but as it stands nothing is really certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

GTR63 wrote: »
    Yeah the lessons fair weren't learned on the Journos part.
    Oh, I'm sure from their perspective, they have their lessons well in hand. In journalism, it's about eyeballs. In online journalism it's clicks. What will get views.

Another point: (I'll be heading out in the next few mins so will not be able to look up articles right now to find it but...)

Analysts, and I think Kotick of Activision and EA aren't really expecting the nextbox and PS4 to do great numbers. I think I remember reading something about how they expect the economic climate to result in the next gen being slow to take on in terms of sales.

Sorry not to have time to look for articles now.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Hercule

I don't think its too early to call, Nintendo are in trouble, the Wii U is in trouble as it has no real (proven) USP and aside from safe bets (mariokart/fit/ssb) no reliable target market. The 3DS is fighting valiantly for the scraps of a narrowing market - Nintendo as a corporation will be in the ****s financially for the next 3-4 years - and its not because of anything they have done/didnt do - the cost of being a player in the market is getting too big (barring a miraculous wonder-product or a seismic shift in customer behaviour). I predict they either go the way of Sega and become a "software only" house within the next 3 years or resign themselves to being a niche player that does well in Japan.

IMO this bit of EA news is only a further straw which will inevitably break the camels back - There are only so many times they can re-iterate their products, fail to deliver on services and vapourware their franchises before they lose consumer confidence entirely - In a years time are we going to see a Wii U+ with a bigger controller and a I dunno, a stinky breath sensor ?

Excluding first party titles and the inevitable vapourware, the wii u's "coming soon" list is looking bleak http://www.nintendolife.com/wiiu/games/soon

From a business perspective their leaps in innovation with touchscreens, 3D and motion gaming are hampered by how in-agile they now are as a business - They cant compete against the big-hitters and are effectively being forced to surrender the next generations' core market to the other players (in search of a niche market of their own).

I don't think its too early to call, Nintendo are in trouble, the Wii U is in trouble as it has no real (proven) USP and aside from safe bets (mariokart/fit/ssb) no reliable target market. The 3DS is fighting valiantly for the scraps of a narrowing market - Nintendo as a corporation will be in the ****s financially for the next 3-4 years - and its not because of anything they have done/didnt do - the cost of being a player in the market is getting too big (barring a miraculous wonder-product or a seismic shift in customer behaviour). I predict they either go the way of Sega and become a "software only" house within the next 3 years or resign themselves to being a niche player that does well in Japan.

IMO this bit of EA news is only a further straw which will inevitably break the camels back - There are only so many times they can re-iterate their products, fail to deliver on services and vapourware their franchises before they lose consumer confidence entirely - In a years time are we going to see a Wii U+ with a bigger controller and a I dunno, a stinky breath sensor ?

Excluding first party titles and the inevitable vapourware, the wii u's "coming soon" list is looking bleak http://www.nintendolife.com/wiiu/games/soon

From a business perspective their leaps in innovation with touchscreens, 3D and motion gaming are hampered by how in-agile they now are as a business - They cant compete against the big-hitters and are effectively being forced to surrender the next generations' core market to the other players (in search of a niche market of their own).

you do realise nintendo are financially sound and not bleeding money like sony.

there is a reason why nintendo lasted this long in the console business.

reggie has stated the wii u is profitable when a consumer buys a console with one game. If we take into account games like mario kart, wii fit, super smash bros and mario 9 times out of ten sells in the double digits and those franchises will move systems.

if we are to judge by nintendo games sales alone they are impressive.

even during wii u slow start in sales nsmb u has sold 2.6 million

and if we are to include 3ds in this for them a game like animal crossing whch isnt even released in europe or america yet sold 3.86 million in japan

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/04/24/how-many-copies-have-nintendos-biggest-games-sold

pokemon black and white 1 and 2 both sold in the double digits so i can see the new pokemon sell quite similar at the end of the year.

The 3DS is fighting valiantly for the scraps of a narrowing market.

Really? 31+ million sold in just 2 years and sales of hardware and software continuing to rise is hardly fighting for scraps in a narrowing market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

One thing to bury Wii U, but we are already burying alive Nintendo... :rolleyes:

Arent they the only ones who sell consoles for profit? Then on top of that selling first party games? Plus Nintendo has a huge capital too?

I though 3DS was doing fine. Fire emblem, Luigie's Mansion, Monster Hunter. Wii U got MH3, which boosted sales a lot and I am not sure that 3.5mil sold has the new sales in it.

Advertisement