Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aud vs Eur falling

Options
  • 17-05-2013 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭

What do people make of the Aud $ falling quite badly in the last couple of months. To date I've not been sending any money back to Ireland as the interest rates are better here and the currency was strong but it's been falling off quite a bit in recent months. Is it time to reconsider?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Have you considered buying the dollars back with the Euro you have stored up?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

The AUD has been far too strong for too long, it was always going to take a hit sooner or later. It still hasn't fallen too much against the Euro as interest rates have fallen both here and there. I don't expect any massive movements in the next year or so, i'd say between the range of 1.25-1.35. All depends on when you're planning on going back. You have to factor in what interest it'll earn at home compared to here and also the cost of transferring it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'm delighted it stayed so strong for so long, I can remember the Euro being $1.6 and there abouts for ages. Hopefully we'll get the rest of the year around 1.3ish. I hope it doesn't fall back to 1.60 soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I heard on some show that they need the $ to be at 75 euro cents to help with exports and trade etc.. and that's what their aiming for.
    I transferred some $ for 79.8 cents a few weeks ago and it kept dropping since then. Might transfer it back now...

rightyabe wrote: »
    I heard on some show that they need the $ to be at 75 euro cents to help with exports and trade etc.. and that's what their aiming for.
    I transferred some $ for 79.8 cents a few weeks ago and it kept dropping since then. Might transfer it back now...

If it went back to 1.6$/€ then you'd be well up. However if that does happen australia will have import inflation, i'd be thinking about a LPG car to counter inflated oil costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

catbear wrote: »
    If it went back to 1.6$/€ then you'd be well up. However if that does happen australia will have import inflation, i'd be thinking about a LPG car to counter inflated oil costs.

Ha yeah but id have a lot more $ im my Aussie account than euro in my Irish account:D

If I had to go home in the future and pay $1.60 for a euro id be well pi**ed off!!

rightyabe wrote: »
    If I had to go home in the future and pay $1.60 for a euro id be well pi**ed off!!
    Probably best to leave it in Euro then, I know I won't be changing back any Euros to Dollars unless I'm buying a house or something. Besides the way work is quietening down I may end up back in the auld sod anyway and I'll be glad of all the euros I got while the dollar was so strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭eagerv

Go back not many years to early 2009 and the exchange rate was $2 to €1.
    Was a great value holiday destination.

Last time I was in Australia just before Chrismas rate was just over $1.2 to €1.
    Apart from petrol, everything was very expensive. Especially beer!

Advertisement