Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeds and humans tastes...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I've a huge soft spot for staffies and pitbulls.

I never was really keen on jack russells or many smaller dogs. Although I do love yorkies, but that may be because we owned one for 16 years.

I love big dogs, both the friendly looking ones and the 'dangerous' looking ones. Oh and wolfhounds, they are beautiful.

The dog I own now, I think she's really...handsome I think is a good word. She's a cross between a few things, some terrier and perhaps a big dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭fredweena

My favourite dog is the mutt, probably some kind of collie cross. Cheap to buy, very low on vet bills, friendly, long lived and smart. We have a rescue collie mix (mixed with god knows what). Not a fan of any pedigree dog that has special needs. Don't really like boxers. Seem a bit short in the brains department and i'm not really fond of any dog that looks like it got a door slammed in its face and squashed its nose. That said, a dog's a dog. They're all pretty great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

fredweena wrote: »
    Don't really like boxers. Seem a bit short in the brains department and i'm not really fond of any dog that looks like it got a door slammed in its face and squashed its nose.

Sacrilege !! Their lack of brains and squashed nose are 2 of the things I love about them. But then i suppose that's the point of this thread !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Toy breeds do nothing for me. Too dim! I don't want a dog that adores me unconditionally and I love a dog with brains and independence. :D

Plus I like to have a good, solid dog under my hand, that I don't have to stoop down for to interact with. My rule of thumb is if the dog's too small to look out the car window while sitting on the passenger seat, it's too darn small! :D

I don't like any dog that's exaggerated in any way. Love German Shepherds, collies and mixes of both! And greyhounds. And gundogs - the pointers, setters, Vizlas. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

All I've ever wanted it a Great Dane but the more I think about it they are rediculously big!!

• Advertisement

And ridiculously short-lived! I couldn't bear it, and I admire them too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

boomerang wrote: »
    And ridiculously short-lived! I couldn't bear it, and I admire them too!

Yeah that's such a pity about their life span. i was at a dog show last summer and spend nearly the entire day milling around the harlequin danes with exception for seeing my cousin show his dogs. I really love them anytime they come into the vets, but the bills are just so massive!

Even a simple thing like worming!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

The vet bills for Danes are massive, pet insurance is loaded, dog toys last no time at all, neither do dog beds or human sofas. If you are house proud or love your garden, they will drive you crazy and the short life span is heartbreaking but they are worth every euro and every hardship they bring. I have had one who lived to be ten and my current girl is eight, it's not long enough but if they lived to be forty that wouldn't be long enough either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I love the bigger breeds like Bernese and Wolfhounds, not so much big dogs as small horses:D I do have a soft spot for Collie X and retrievers as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement