Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help me look pretty on holidays

• 17-05-2013 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I badly need help with some holiday products I'm hoping I can get some good recommendations here

Firstly I usually wear mac studio fix nw20, I won't be wearing this during the day in Spain but I really don't want my natural face on show. I need a little help. I'd like some sort of tint wit some coverage. Can I wear this swimming? What is the best facial spf and do I put that on first?

Secondly, waterproof mascara? Any tips on the best one, or should I get them tinted?
    Thirdly, I have long straight hair with a fringe, I'd like to know nice ways to keep it off my face while swimming or laying out

Do you have any other products I should use to look pretty? I will be using tan as I'm deathly pale and I know chlorine strips that, so I'll be exfoliating every evening and reapplying. I'm hoping to get cocoa brown night and day. The 1 hour is too pale for me for night time but this seems to tick all the boxes.

This is my first sun holiday in 5 years so I forget the routine. Thanks in advance guys x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Why don't you want your natural face on show? Have never heard of anyone using any kind of make up while sunning themselves. Putting any kind of make up/tinted moisturizer on your face in heat will only clog up pores and make your skin dry.
    use a decent sunscreen and let the sun get at you to give your face a nice natural glow.

Nearly all make up brands do a water proof mascara, but again I really don't see the point of wearing this while sunning.

Tie your hair up in a pony tail and get a hair band.

I have really pale skin when I go on holidays I get a spray to give me a little color but that's it. I'd sooner get a nice natural glow on my face then go running out wasting money buying products to put on me while I sun bath. A decent sun screen is all you need.

No one is really gonna care what you look like as most people go on holiday to enjoy themselves and get some sun, not to point out who looks pretty and who looks pale. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Why not just relax and enjoy the holiday? No point stressing out and wasting time with all that crap. If your going to that much hassle trying to look pretty for a fella then hes not worth it. If its for yourself then chillax and try to enjoy yourself without worrying about tan and makeup running. Thats not what sun holidays are about. Get dolled up at night by all means, but during the day for at the pool is a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Why don't you want your natural face on show? Have never heard of anyone using any kind of make up while sunning themselves. Putting any kind of make up/tinted moisturizer on your face in heat will only clog up pores and make your skin dry.
    use a decent sunscreen and let the sun get at you to give your face a nice natural glow.

Nearly all make up brands do a water proof mascara, but again I really don't see the point of wearing this while sunning.

Tie your hair up in a pony tail and get a hair band.

I have really pale skin when I go on holidays I get a spray to give me a little color but that's it. I'd sooner get a nice natural glow on my face then go running out wasting money buying products to put on me while I sun bath. A decent sun screen is all you need.

No one is really gonna care what you look like as most people go on holiday to enjoy themselves and get some sun, not to point out who looks pretty and who looks pale. :rolleyes:

Wow condescending much. Thanks for taking the time to reply but I don't need someone telling me what I should or shouldn't want to look like.

The rolleyes said it all.

It's not for a fella, it's for me. After the last few months of sh%te I just want to relax and enjoy my holiday but I would like a little coverage for face. I was thinking some kind of tinted spf not a full face of slap. Mascara was because my eyelashes are very light, I just wanted to feel nice. My hair, well the ponytail always did the job. I just wanted to do something nice with it, quick and nice.

This is about spending time on myself which I haven't been able to do. That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

smilerxxx wrote: »
    Wow condescending much. Thanks for taking the time to reply but I don't need someone telling me what I should or shouldn't want to look like.

The rolleyes said it all.

:pac:

You don't need someone telling you should and shouldn't do then why post a thread looking for advice :confused:

I don't know what it was like 5 years ago when you where last away but these days no gives a f*ck what someone looks likes while sun bathing, and anyone that goes away to criticize other peoples features and appearance would wanna have words with themselves.

All I'm saying is don't waste your money buying prroducts you really don't need and just go and enjoy yourself in the sun without having to do a daily beauty regime before you hit the pool. :cool:

• Advertisement

I asked for advice on products sunny not to be criticized for thinking about them. Yes 5 years ago was the same, nobody gave a ****, I don't give a **** about what others look like, I don't give a **** what others think of me. I wanted to spend a little time to myself in the mornings, I find it therapeutic.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I would recommend getting your eyelashes tinted... I always do and find it much handier than using mascara for daytime!

I would recommend getting your eyelashes tinted... I always do and find it much handier than using mascara for daytime!

Thanks, I was thinking the same. I normally don't even wear mascara during the day here but as I won't have on full make up I thought it would just add something to my face. My face burns just looking at the sun, then peels terribly so I need a high factor for my face and since it doesn't tan I wanted a little glow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I would go and get eyelashes tinted, eyebrows shaped and tinted (if you feel the need, always makes me feel better!!) and maybe a try one of the self tanning facial Moisturizer, like the olay or Johnson one. It will build up slowly ad give you a glow..

I like my hair off my face in the sun so maybe a ponytail and hair band of a big grip and clip back your fringe. If you are good at plaiting your hair go for a side plait taking in all your fringe. I often do that on holiday.

The other thing I like to do is ave my nails done. Always makes me feel fantastic.
    Have a wonderful time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

I usually get my eyelashes tinted. I have worn waterproof mascara which has always worked. For your face you could try a tinted moisturiser with SPF like this maybe: http://www.clinique.com/product/1599/15635/Makeup/Foundations/Moisture-Surge-Tinted-Moisturizer-SPF-15/index.tmpl
    TBH spf 15 wouldnt be strong enough for me. I usually wear 50 on my face and 15 on my body. I wonder could you use a higher suncream and wear the tint over it?

Maybe try wearing a suncream at home for an evening and the tint over it and see if they work together?

For my hair i usually wear a plait in some way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

@Carolinespring, thanks for the tips. I forgot about facial tanning moisturisers. Good idea. Yeah I want to keep my hair off my face so I'll pick up a nice hairband.

I've just grown my nails for the first time so getting them done would be a lovely treat :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There's no point in wearing fake tan unless you're not planning on going into the pool. The second you get in, it'll all wash off and you'll spend the rest of the day with none on.

Faith wrote: »
    There's no point in wearing fake tan unless you're not planning on going into the pool. The second you get in, it'll all wash off and you'll spend the rest of the day with none on.
    Very good point ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Glinda

Some people are comfortable with nothing at all on their face on holiday, but not everyone. I think it's a bit much to have a go at someone because they are looking for a quick and easy way to be able to relax and know they look ok - not everyone is comfortable without any makeup at all and many of us feel better with a little help!

OP, I usually get my eyebrows and lashes tinted and some two-week paint on fingers and toes. Eyebrows make a huge difference to how 'groomed' you look. I think there is a fortune there for the first person to come up with a fake tan that doesn't come off in the pool! Usually resort to reapplying frequently as you describe. I can't do natural tan at all (medical reasons) so fake is my only option!

On the face thing, I would use Clarins factor 40 sun protection and a bit of concealer before going out with a quick swipe of bronzer over the top. A couple of years ago I got a half-set of semi-permanent lash extensions done, they were fantastic and lasted the whole two weeks in and out of the pool, sea, everything.

(Just realised I sound like I was the colour of an oompa loompa the whole time, I really wasn't, but just did enough that I had a bit of a glow about me)

Au naturel is fine if you are comfortable that way, I prefer to feel a bit 'groomed' even on holiday.

Thanks for the fantastic tips everyone. Spf 50 I think is the way to go for me, but the clarins one sounds perfect.

I was thinking of using cocoa brown night and day, dark at night washes off in the morning with a light glow, I don't mind not being brown brown during the day, just want to lose the grey look. Would it come off totally or more of a fade? Because I'd be putting it on again for the night look.

Thanks again guys. Was starting to feel like a knob

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

smilerxxx wrote: »
    Thanks for the fantastic tips everyone. Spf 50 I think is the way to go for me, but the clarins one sounds perfect.

I was thinking of using cocoa brown night and day, dark at night washes off in the morning with a light glow, I don't mind not being brown brown during the day, just want to lose the grey look. Would it come off totally or more of a fade? Because I'd be putting it on again for the night look.

Thanks again guys. Was starting to feel like a knob

In my experience, it just came off completely, immediately. The minute I got in a chlorinated pool, it was gone. So you'd be dark at night, brown at breakfast, and then your natural white from the moment you got in the pool to when you reapplied at night.

Tinting your eyelashes is fine, but it adds no volume or length to them. I always found tinting did very little for me, and I certainly didn't look like I did with mascara on. I'd either tint and use waterproof clear mascara, or just use waterproof black mascara.

Faith wrote: »
    In my experience, it just came off completely, immediately. The minute I got in a chlorinated pool, it was gone. So you'd be dark at night, brown at breakfast, and then your natural white from the moment you got in the pool to when you reapplied at night.

Tinting your eyelashes is fine, but it adds no volume or length to them. I always found tinting did very little for me, and I certainly didn't look like I did with mascara on. I'd either tint and use waterproof clear mascara, or just use waterproof black mascara.

Ok thanks, do you know if you get the same problem from seawater? I know we'll be spending lots of time there too hopefully.

@Carolinespring I couldn't view that image it just opened to Google. Could be my thick phone as well

Saltwater doesnt strip your tan. Just the pool.

Ella wrote: »
    Saltwater doesnt strip your tan. Just the pool.

Great thanks, so beach days will be fine, pool days I'll just have to suck it up :-) I don't tan naturally so I won't get any colour as the week goes by but not to worry.

I'm not very confident in a bikini, so I think tan is my mask At least psychologically anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm gonna +1 anyone who suggested eyelash tinting and shellac (or whoever) on your hands and feet, at least you won't be worrying over chipped nails. After that, sunscreen. Personally I'd have factor 50 both on my face and on my body, (but i have burnt through factor 50 so if I could find higher I'd use it)

I don't like how foundation feels on my skin in hot weather, so I would use a little bronzer, just dusted lightly over my face instead of foundation. I like Mac mineralise.

For your hair, I'd just clip back the fringe with the kirby clips, and do a fishtail plait or just tie it up in a pony tail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

A light tinted moisturiser and a packet of make up blotting paper in your purse. http://www.amazon.com/NYX-Matte-Blotting-Paper-White/dp/B005JRT7A8/ref=zg_bs_11058701_2

Takes the oil and sweat off your skin without smudging your make up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭Vooice

You could go a little step further and get eyelash extensions for the holiday. Leave the mascara at home then :)

That's what I'll be doing for my holidays. I'll tweeze and tint my brows myself. You can pick up the little dye kit in the chemist for about a tenner.

Apart from that, it'll just be a bit of sunscreen. God I'd love some sun!
    Enjoy the holidays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

For holidays I always get a spray tan. It lasts a couple days and then I top it up myself. I have red hair so I will never ever get a tan. I get eyelashes and eyebrows dyed too.

I often try to keep my hair dry so it looks nice when sunbathing.

Waterproof eyeliner can be good for the pool to give a bit of extra definition. I also like to wear big sunglasses when not in the pool.

I get a Shellac done and apply my suncream with gloves in case it dissolves the Shellac (maybe being a bit over careful here).

Lipstick doesn't really run so that can give you some colour.

I also have a leopard print beach towel to spice up the lounger a bit and a bright kaftan for covering up.

During the day if I'm out and about I will often have full make up on so I look nice while shopping etc.

Don't mind people who say you shouldn't wear make up on holiday. I like to look my best in all situations so why not on holiday too? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Get a facial before you go, keep drinking loads of water to boost your skin.

I like Bb cream by garnier, it gives nice breathable coverage yet has an SPF in it.

You could get a small ghd for straightening your fringe? Or else some cute clips? Sorry I can't help you with that - i grew out my fringe because I couldn't manage it.

Get your lashes tinted and eyebrows if needed. I like Maybelline waterproof mascara, or your normal one if you're not in the water. Sometimes a slick of Vaseline also looks good.

I like bourjouis blush too - again nice and soft and breathable.

Enjoy your holidays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

http://uk.accessorize.com/uk/holiday-shop/beach-jewellery?sort=score&showAll=true&pageSize=500
    Lots of nice bits here, I love to have a few nice cheapy accessories for a holiday, don't need to worry about them!
    Also I haven't used it but have been thinking of getting la roche posay tinted moisturiser, it's SPF 50 so could be just what you're after!
    Have you considered a hat or scarf to cover your scalp in the sun? I have skin that burns easily and having had a sunburnt scalp once, I'll never let it happen again. I always wear a light coloured, lightweight cotton or linen scarf in the sun, it looks pretty nice and stops you getting SPF in your hair too :)
    Have a lovely holiday!

Meant to say, I also use Maybelline waterproof mascara and find it very good although not perfect in the sun! Worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I like to use and I know I am spelling this wrong but spf 50, la rossey posay tinted sun factor, I finds it gives good coverage but would cone off in water,
    Also the dove tanning body moisture I find good and Can be easily reapplied,
    The nails are lovely in bright colors with a tan and a lovely treat when been done,
    Don't forget the waxing
    also lip stains, remmel have a good one out at the moment are very long lasting

Also for your hair it might be worth takinga look in Claire's accessories as they have things that easilyallows you to put your hair up into rolls, buns, etc
    enjoy the Hol and let us know what u found good when u get back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Hi OP,

I was planning on posting a similar post - I'm heading to Barcelona for the Off-Sonar parties and will need to have makeup that doesn't budge on me.

The Maybelline Dream BB cream is nice and light and covers red patches etc - not what I'd use for everyday use but will give a bit of coverage.

I got a spray tan the day before I went on holidays last year - never again - it had worn off in white patches after the first day - not a good look!

This Ambre Solaire review on beaut.ie looks good - she said it didn't come off in the pool!
    http://beaut.ie/2013/tan-trials-garnier-ambre-solaire-instant-bronzer-hydrating-gel/

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Glowla

Yep I agree with Ams about Maybelline Dream Fresh BB cream. While you won't have the same level of coverage as MAC, it will suffice to reduce redness/uneven skin tone. It also contains SPF 30 if I remember correctly.

Regarding people saying oh stop fussing/don't worry about make up etc on hols, I know how you feel because my skin is far far from perfect and for people like us who are not fond of showing bare faces then holidays can make us a bit anxious but once you're comfortable it doesn't matter if it takes you a hop skip and jump to be ready for the pool or an extra few minutes to make yourself feel better!

Enjoy your hols :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'm loving the MAC BB Cream at the moment, and it's SPF 35. (Obviously use a proper facial sunscreen too!) It's very "your skin, but better"! I'd worry (might just be me :p ) that I'd get out of the pool or sea and just give my face a massive rub with a towel, so wouldn't go too full coverage on the foundation for fearing I'd just rub it all off.

I'd second an eyelash tint instead of mascara. It can be such a bitch to get off, and you don't wanna be carting all sorts of make up removers around. And the eyebrows! Even with minimal make up, I always feel "done" when my eyebrows are in good shape!

I'm definitely getting Shellac done before my holidays :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

My sisters spend an absolute fortune getting ready to go away. I'm more of the "It's a holiday, who could be bothered putting make-up on to have it slide off in the sun/washed off in the pool?" but here's what they do, if it helps.

- Shellac french polish on hands and feet
    - Spray on tan (you can't go near the pool, though, which kind of defeats the purpose of a holiday for me)
    - Eyebrow tint
    - Eyelash tint & extensions

And they'll both also put tinted moisturiser & lip gloss on every morning. I don't bother - it's not like I've skin to rival Dita von Teese or anything, but I'm in and out of the pool every five minutes and the first thing I do when I get out is exactly what Twee described - give my face a massive rub with the towel.

I think the biggest trick to looking somewhat presentable by the pool is a good pair of sunglasses and a nice straw trilby or fedora. Everyone looks good in sunglasses and a hat, in my opinion. All you need then is a decent SPF lib balm, and you're sorted - sure half your face is hidden then anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

OP before you go get your eye brows shaped and tinted and your eyelashes tinted. It makes such a difference and saves you having to wear water proof mascara (the NYX one is a good one I find)

for your face why not try a BB cream or tinted moisturoiser with an SPF built in? I work outdoors at weekends and bought an ambre solaire spf 50 bb cream last week and its very nice shade :)

as for what make up someone does / does not wear on holiday / at the pool I think each to their own do what makes you feel best

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

This year I'll get my eyebrows shaped and eyelashes tinted and will just wear facial suncream around the pool and BB cream with SPF when out shopping etc.

If the BB cream has a decent SPF you wouldn't need to wear both would you? Just saw someone said you'd need both and if that's true I probably won't even bother with the BB tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

donna35 wrote: »
    This year I'll get my eyebrows shaped and eyelashes tinted and will just wear facial suncream around the pool and BB cream with SPF when out shopping etc.

If the BB cream has a decent SPF you wouldn't need to wear both would you? Just saw someone said you'd need both and if that's true I probably won't even bother with the BB tbh

It kind of depends on the coverage. To wear enough bb cream to ensure you won't get burned it would probably have to be plastered on. I would err on the side of caution and wear both but it may not be necessary.

Hi guys sorry I haven't been back, I'm doing a 7 day week so I'm just sleeping eating and working. Anyhow thank you all for your suggestions. So I think I'll definitely go with the eyelash and brow tint. I used to have it done all the time so I think that's what I'll do. And I'll get some waterproof clear mascara to add a bit of volume.

I think I'll definitely use fake tan, as today a patient said to me "jaysus are you sick"... So that's that Hahaha. My pale arms were out in full force in the sunshine. I know it'll come off but I'll be tanning most evenings so I'll sort something.

So I'm thinking spf 50 will have to be used on my face and maybe just maybe if I use the spf correctly I won't burn and I might tan? Maybe I'll let the face out after all :-)

I probably won't do shellac as I'd only be taking the polish off as soon as I get home so I'll just get some bright polish.
    I have shorts and t's and bikini's and kaftans and hats for daytime. I haven't much for night time but I'll figure something out.

Thanks for all the advice guys xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Defo do a lash and brow tint - it is almost like instant make up, especially for a fair-skinned person. I use La Roche Dorsay tinted melt-in cream in factor 50. It is lovely. For a fringe I'd get a wide stretchy hairband to keep it off your forehead and causing clogged pores - still stylish but very practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I always wear waterproof mascara (normal mascara runs on me without fail :() and the only thing I've found that takes it off properly is a bit of Johnson's Baby Oil on a cotton pad. It removes everything! I've been using it for a couple of years now - haven't bought a branded eye make-up remover in longer than I can remember.:)

A brilliant spf for the face is factor 50 La Roche Posay. I wear it under my make-up every day here at home too. Doesn't clog your pores, and doesn't make your face feel icky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

In case you need a SPF 50 sunscreen, I bought one last week for about 6.50 in superdrug. My skin is very sensitive so I break out easily so it took a while, but the lady finally found this one:

Garnier Ambre Solaire SPF 50+
    Sensitive Advanced, for fail, sensitive & sun intolerant skin. UVA and UVB.

And supposedly the important bit that shows it wont break you out@ DErmatologically tested, HYPOALLERGENIC.
    No perfume, no colourants, light texture.

It's 200mls, and it's a squeeze bottle. I did some test patches and it was fine, havent fully tested it yet as I've been post-poning my beach day but so far so good :). Just thought i'd let you know.

Also, have you tried youtube? Might sound weird but there's hundreds of beauty gurus there, you'll most likely find suggestions on mascara, bb creams etc! Michellephan, bubzbeauty, beautycrush that's only a couple of the ones I know that I enjoy watching.

Dont mind the unhelpful judgemental replies hun, seems lately they're everywhere, my thread has a couple too. You ask for help, and you leave feeling like a moron.

Enjoy your holiday :)

Advertisement