Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for Dummies

• 17-05-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Can someone answer a few question (what are basically stupid questions to some I sure ) regards broadband.

I have Eircom broadband (have had the same package / netopia modem) for about 7 seven years, including a house move. Personally I've never had any issues, always available, only had to contact support once I think. I work from home a fair bit and do have to download a few files, but never seems to take a few seconds. So I think for the moment I'm happy enough to stick with them. I know I should be looking a prices a bit more but when your using it for work and had no issues it can be difficult to change. I don't really use it apart from general browsing. So I'm not downloading files or streaming anything.

I got a flyer from Eircom saying that I can increase my current speed for Free. Its saying I can move from NGB Regular (Up to 8MB speed / No Usage) to NGB Velocity (Up to 24MB / 50 GB Usage). It then says what I can expect is Up to 12MB, and that my average monthly usage is 9.39.

Its offering €15 credit on my next bill, but I will be locked into a 12 month contract.

Should I just leave it, a case of ''it aint broke''. Its currently costing €50 pm, which I'm sure I could reduce if I moved to another provider, but is a saving of €10 or something worth the piece of mind I have in that its always worked and therefore I can work from a home office.

Should I just wait until eFibre comes to my area (Malahide)

Thanks for any feedback

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Apart from tying you in to a 12 month contract it's the same physical piece of wire connecting you.

For ADSL the quality of the physical connection is normally the most significant feature as far as quality of connection is concerned. You should therefore not experience and drop in quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

When eFibre comes to your area eircom will upgrade you for free so there is no point in waiting for that unless you are thinking of changing providers and don't want to be tied into a new contract with eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mactheknife19

ElNino wrote: »
    When eFibre comes to your area eircom will upgrade you for free so there is no point in waiting for that unless you are thinking of changing providers and don't want to be tied into a new contract with eircom.

I like the idea of not been tied into a new contract, hence I was cautious to sign up. As such I'm not particularlly waiting for eFibre, and I assume I would be upgraded from NGB Regular to eFibre without the need to go to Volcity.

What I'm seeing is that based on an my needs (speed & usage) I'm not really going to gain anything from the move.

Advertisement