Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chadley78

You can switch uPnP on easily enough - don't know if it will fix your problem, but worth a try.

Login to router, login is admin/admin, you can use public address at 192.168.100.1. Go to Advanced Page - uPnP can be enabled (think disabled is the default). Don't forget to Save and logoff.

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a go tonight, see if solves my problem.

Edit: No joy. Turned on uPnP as per instructions but didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭AH92

Received this router this week and It does the job but it's a bit dodgy at times, Can anyone explain how to connect another router to this in order to bypass this router and connect wirelessly through to the other router? I've noticed everyone is doing this with an asus router but which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Anyone know how to fiddle around with the NAT settings? On my xbox it keeps coming up as moderate even though I put its IP in the DMZ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Can anybody explain or direct me to a guide to switching to less congested channels, living in an area where lots of people are using UPC so at night the internet gets very slow, on the 100mb package and it goes as low as 10mb in the evenings, girlfriend streams her TV online and it's unwatchable at the moment, fine in the mornings.

Also having a massive issue with Plex, using a Roku 3 and connecting to my brothers server in Dublin, he's UPC 150mb and when I try and stream something it's constant buffering as well. I had better streaming when I was on ****ing 8mb Magnet.

Dave147 wrote: »
    Can anybody explain or direct me to a guide to switching to less congested channels, living in an area where lots of people are using UPC so at night the internet gets very slow, on the 100mb package and it goes as low as 10mb in the evenings, girlfriend streams her TV online and it's unwatchable at the moment, fine in the mornings.

Also having a massive issue with Plex, using a Roku 3 and connecting to my brothers server in Dublin, he's UPC 150mb and when I try and stream something it's constant buffering as well. I had better streaming when I was on ****ing 8mb Magnet.

What OS are you using? If Windows 7 or Windows 8, run the following from a command prompt:

netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

Copy and paste the output on here and myself or someone else might be able to recommend a suitable channel.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    What OS are you using? If Windows 7 or Windows 8, run the following from a command prompt:

netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

Copy and paste the output on here and myself or someone else might be able to recommend a suitable channel.

Yeah windows 7, have tried on our PC at work which is 30mb UPC and her TV is streaming fine, does it matter what time I post it or should I wait till it's at is highest congestion?

Yeah windows 7, have tried on our PC at work which is 30mb UPC and her TV is streaming fine, does it matter what time I post it or should I wait till it's at is highest congestion?

Run it any time, chances are the routers are being left on anyway.

Run it any time, chances are the routers are being left on anyway.

Yeah but won't be much traffic. UPC guy came today and changed the channel but couldn't tell difference as it was early in the day, caused my Roku to be unable to find router so switched it back. I can use Ethernet cable if it means I'll be on a less congested channel and herself can watch her TV!

Yeah but won't be much traffic. UPC guy came today and changed the channel but couldn't tell difference as it was early in the day, caused my Roku to be unable to find router so switched it back. I can use Ethernet cable if it means I'll be on a less congested channel and herself can watch her TV!

The traffic should make no difference because the routers are still transmitting something on their assigned channel. An Ethernet cable is always the best way, maybe not the most convenient, but certainly the most reliable.

The traffic should make no difference because the routers are still transmitting something on their assigned channel. An Ethernet cable is always the best way, maybe not the most convenient, but certainly the most reliable.

Would love to be completely wired up but not possible. Regardless, 100mb line should be able to stream her website seamlessly if I can do it at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

I use a program called inSIDDer, it shows what channels other routers are using in the area and it can also measure your wifi strength, Very handy tool.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

With regard to your speeds dropping, this could be down to congestion on UPCs network during peek times and may not be down to the wireless, best way to test it is to connect your laptop by cable to the router and see if the speed increases.

Rather than spam the thread further I'll attach the readout as a notepad file.

Right, well it seems like you can't get a clear channel. 1, 6 and 11 are used several times, and any other one in between will overlap. I'd probably put it on 8 or 13* if I were you, but it probably still won't work well.

5 GHz might be an option for you but the gear is more expensive and not everything supports it. It also doesn't penetrate walls very well.

* 12 and 13 don't work on devices configured to use the FCC (American) channels - the network simply won't show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Billyie

Hello guys..... I got the bloody new modem/Router from upc..and life stood still.. and is still standing till since......HELP...!!!
    My problem with this modem/router (Technicolor TC7200) is it has stopped my sat box from picking up web radio.......so I assume its not reaching or talking beyond the router itself......??
    And I read of you guys using "Static ip's"....??
    Is that a fix for my problem too...??
    How do I perform this task in this modem/router....? Can anyone give me a
    an idiots guide to set up this router to get my sat box working through this dam router.....
    And if I use static ip for this sat box does this effect my laptop and phone that also goes into this modem/router....?
    Do I need to do something with these too.. can you let me know....?
    And what If i add any other devices in the future do I need to do something to these too....?

Thanks for all your help...believe me I need help with this dam modem/router.....!!!
    Regards Billyie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I recently signed up to UPC and recieved a Technicolor TC7200. I'm quite happy with it except for one gremlin. My wifes laptop running Vista can't connect to the Wifi and after a ten second connection attempt, it fails claiming that the password we entered is incorrect. The password is correct and it being entered in the correct case. My WIN 7 laptop, iPad, and two mobile phones all work perfectly connecting the same way. The connection protocols on the Vista laptop are the same as the Windows 7 one (WPA-Personal, AES encryption). I tried changing to different protocols and none worked. I logged into the router using a a Cat5 cable and the temporarily turned the security off. The laptop connected fine on the open unsecured connection. No amount of fiddling or setting changes on either the laptop or router have resolved the problem.

Anyone any thougts on this? Does this sound like a vista issue or a router issue?

shamwari wrote: »
    I recently signed up to UPC and recieved a Technicolor TC7200. I'm quite happy with it except for one gremlin. My wifes laptop running Vista can't connect to the Wifi and after a ten second connection attempt, it fails claiming that the password we entered is incorrect. The password is correct and it being entered in the correct case. My WIN 7 laptop, iPad, and two mobile phones all work perfectly connecting the same way. The connection protocols on the Vista laptop are the same as the Windows 7 one (WPA-Personal, AES encryption). I tried changing to different protocols and none worked. I logged into the router using a a Cat5 cable and the temporarily turned the security off. The laptop connected fine on the open unsecured connection. No amount of fiddling or setting changes on either the laptop or router have resolved the problem.

Anyone any thougts on this? Does this sound like a vista issue or a router issue?
    It's a Vista issue, especially if there's no service packs installed. Make sure that all updates are installed. You may also need to update the driver for the wireless adapter.

It's a Vista issue, especially if there's no service packs installed. Make sure that all updates are installed. You may also need to update the driver for the wireless adapter.

I agree too that this looks like a Vista issue, but it is patched up to date, including SP's and security updates. I checked for wireless card driver updates and the one I'm using is the latest available. I'm thinking of upgrading Vista to Win7 because Vista is a POS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

It wouldn't be anything silly like having a static IP set on the Vista lappy?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

It wouldn't be anything silly like having a static IP set on the Vista lappy?

Nope. Addressing is dynamic. Both PC and Router are running "out of the box" configurations.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭genek

@shamwari
    I'm thinking of upgrading Vista to Win7 because Vista is a POS

what is your wifi card maker?
    Upgrading to Windows 7 might not be solution if card does not support WPA.
    I would also try TKIP / AES option might help.

• Advertisement

Card supports WPA, WPA2, AES & TKIP. Any combination thereof will not work with Vista. Both the UPC router and our previous Eircom one run WPA / AES. My Win 7 laptop is fine, the Vista one isn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭genek

check this fix, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us
    this might be your solution
    or you can check this fix
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935222

genek wrote: »
    check this fix, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us
    this might be your solution
    or you can check this fix
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935222

Fix 1 doesn't apply in our case
    Fix 2 might. Will give it a try later!

No joy with this. Confirmed PC is patched to SP2, and the second hotfix above did not apply as it said it not required. All hardware drivers on the laptop are up to date too. We've hit a brick wall with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭peace2804

Hi guys, How can I determine the speed supported by this modem/router? I mean I signed for 100MB but the UPC packaging of this modem says 50MB, any ideas? Cheers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Is this router better than the 3925?

Having ongoing issues and UPC want to swap my 3925 for this one to "test"

I like the 3925..hows the wifi range on the TC7200?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Hellrazer wrote: »

Unless you are of the opinion that you shouldn't have to pay for a better router than those UPC provides, you should hold onto your EPC3925 as if your life depended on it as it's the only currently bridgable UPC router. Then ask around here for router recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Hellrazer wrote: »

IMO wifi on this is rubbish - I get about 15 instead of the max of 50

Yesterday I got an email from UPC yelling the praises of using a cable rather than wifi - bragging on about how better using the cable is.

This leads me to believe that UPC know how useless the wifi is on this and that they have received numerous complaints and now emailing its customers telling them to use a cable.

Anybody know how to peer better on this router for gaming. I'm getting a ping of over 50 playing CS on French and UK servers. Am playing over WiFi, but that shouldn't affect ping and in my old apartment I was getting a ping of 20-25 over 8mb WiFi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kevpatts

chadley78 wrote: »
    I just got this router as part of the free upgrade to 50mb broadband with UPC. Since I started using it, Plex, which uses uPnP to stream media from my home server to any pc or phone i want, has stopped working.

Without getting into port forwarding and static ip addresses, does anyone know why this crap modem is causing issues. Can I enable uPnP easily?

Just to let you know, I'm using plex (under XBMCbuntu) behind this router and it works perfectly.

Advertisement